9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Replacement Deck and door speakers

26K views 60 replies 18 participants last post by  Bobshur 
#1 ·
I want to replace the deck and door speakers, as well as tweeters in my SI, but I want to stick with the Alpine theme, any suggestions, preferably low cost but good quality

Also looking for a free air subwoofer to replace the stock subwoofer, not really for pounding but just for the sake of having it alpine as well

#2 ·
#36 ·
This sub will not fit in oem rear deck sub spot. The top mount depth is too much. If somehow you can, I'd love to know how you did it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#3 ·
Alpine is in the works coming out with a unit that keeps all of our cars stuff, imid, hands free, steering wheel controls.., supposed to be out this summer. They had it for the mustang at sema I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: dxcoupe and Skrub
#5 ·
From what I was told it is real nice,I guess they didnt show it to everybody.Im sure the others will follow suit too. Free airing subs are just pityfull.Ive heard expensive free airs and they barely are there.Im real happy with the 10 bazooka I got,it sounds great,I dont listen to rap so it doesnt "move the glass" but it is perfect for me,Rock sounds great,I was listening to Ace Frehley coming back from work today,Im happy!

#8 ·
Cool I was going to try that jl audio slim. 8 inch but decided not yo spend huge cash.

#10 ·
I like alpine too, that will be my head unit when it comes out, I got Polk in my theater room and my loft, I like the presence.

#11 ·
If money were no issue, JL Audio for me, them some bomb a$$ speakers! love that company...but im pO and cannot afford em.

Reactions: RussCB
#16 ·
im in the same boat, had a JL audio JX500 or whatever in my EX and it was awesome,,, i dunno if im alone or not but i rather like the factory stereo in my SI.

OP are you just putting a sub in there to have it say alpine when you look at it? or are you going to hook it up and use it?

#12 ·
So has anyone replaced the back speakers? Which ones fit best without modification?

#13 ·
I replaced all the speakers. I think any 6.5" coaxial speakers will fit in the deck.

#15 ·
Does your imid work with your head unit? Would you recommend it?

#18 ·
The trunk bar may get in the way, it barely fits with my polks.

#20 ·
But to complete the though, no comparison in sound...do like anything audio control does for linking stock units to after market speakers

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#21 ·
Hey guys, new here. Will probably be fairly active on the boards.

I was browsing crutchfield and they say both front and rear 6.5 need a bracket kit. that true?

Looking forward to meeting ya'll. Picking up the '12 Coupe in a couple days! Got a steal.

#23 ·
You dont "need" a bracket but it is an easier install.

First picture is the front door speaker opening, you can see the single screw on top and two slots on the bottom.

Second picture is an adapter bracket.

Third picture shows a speaker screwed into the bracket on the rear shelf.

Automotive exterior Auto part Trunk Vehicle Rim
Technology Cable Auto part Electronic device
Electronics Major appliance Auto part

Using the bracket allows you to skip drilling new holes for your speakers, and in my opinion it is easier to prevent the speaker from rattling using the bracket. Also note i hope my pioneer speakers in the back blow out so i can justify buying better speakers...

#22 ·
I experimented with 4 sets of speakers including the OEM 6.5's. The best I found within my price range were, Kicker DS65's from Crutchfield. I kept the OEM speakers in the front as they sounded better than aftermarket for bass that is.

I replaced the OEM subwoofer with a JL Audio ZR800. Yep, I spent the money to get the best, but it still is not up to par. I also tried to fit 3 other subs without any success. The damn deck is too close to the rear window glass, the rear deck opening is not a circle and the trunk bars are there too! I miss my 12" Kicker (which I still have) and sound amazing. I wanted to free up trunk space and didn't want the extra weight.

I also second skinned my rear deck metal and doors. It made a difference, but I don't know if it was a huge difference.
I want to do the trunk next. Any suggestions?
Its better than dynamat from my research and cheaper. My problem now is, how do I remove the rattle of the rear deck? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm gonna post a thread to spark some ideas and see what other people did.

#29 · (Edited)
#27 ·
I had to countersink the screw hole.

That is a 6.5" pioneer speaker in there. If I didnt countersink, the screw would have interfered with the metal rim of the speaker. Then to install, I needed to install the bracket first then drop the speaker in. If your replacement speakers are 5.25" i think it would avoid the countersink issue. Also keep in mind that those brackets are about 0.7" thick so it raises the speaker up. That speaker i have in the photo on the rear deck ended up touching the speaker grill on the rear plastic molding. I was a bit impatient during that part of my install so i just left it.

#28 ·
Any thoughts on just replacing tweeters? I added a 12" kicker sub in a slim sealed box and it improved my '12 SIand I am much happier with sound, mid bass is ok but highs are not so great. Any thoughts on just replacing tweets and cross over with stock wiring and HU?

Thanks to all for posting, very useful thread.

#31 ·
21"length x 14"high x 7"bottom x 4"top. About the smallest 12" enclosure I have seen. Its just gotten broken in diffinitely has some low boom.

#32 ·
I bought the lowest RMS shallow mount /// IB Sub 8-inch sub I could find and I'm going to throw it in and see how that goes. Stock is so muddy- I don't care if it isn't loud, thats why I got a new Basslink too :)

Replacing all 4 corners with Infinity reference coaxials and got a pair of 3/4 inch tweeters for the A pillars.

Also snagged an Alpine KTP 445U, a little tiny amp that sends 45rms to the 6.5s and works right with the stock H.U.

I really wanted to just nut up and buy the JBL MS-8, but I took my time finding the pieces for this set up and I think it will sound excellent for the money spent (~600 including 40 sq ft of dynamat). If not, I'll get the MS-8 after my tax return :p

#33 ·
I bought the lowest RMS shallow mount /// IB Sub 8-inch sub I could find and I'm going to throw it in and see how that goes. Stock is so muddy- I don't care if it isn't loud, thats why I got a new Basslink too :)
Keep me posted on the shallow mount ib sub install went. Whivh did you go with?

#34 ·
It was close to the cheapest one I could find, because I was really looking for one that MIGHT work with stock power, as an experiment really. Its a Pioneer TS-SW841D. Got it on Amazon for $70. It was supposed to be nice this weekend and I was going to dynamat and install everything but of course, its raining. Can't Plasti-dip in the rain either >.<

I'll let you know how it goes. My hope is to run the 4 channel amp to the 4 6.5s but if the sub is underpowered I'll keep stock power on the rears and bridge 2 channels to the sub.

TBH I don't care about the loudness of the 8, I just want it to be less muddy. I picked up a basslink as well. Thinking about installing it in the far back corner so I can open up the 40% seat so its firing into the cabin. In some cars, dropping the seats lessens the quality of the bass so some experimentation shall be necessary.

What do you guys think?

#38 ·
.... Thinking about installing it in the far back corner so I can open up the 40% seat so its firing into the cabin. In some cars, dropping the seats lessens the quality of the bass so some experimentation shall be necessary.

What do you guys think?
I heard from a few people that folding down the back seat made it sound louder. I tried it and i couldnt stand the air pressure from the trunk flaps!

#35 ·
Im on the same boat as you are 716, I ordered these Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW800F Shallow-mount 8" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com and with a rear deck enclosure. Gonna try the oem amp and see if its any good, if not I'll bypass the oem amp and run a monoblock to the sub only. I cant believe the oem sub for the civic is that bad. I heard the one on the accord, odyssey, and pilot. Definitely a civic weak link.

#40 ·
So is there any speakers and 8in sub that don't require drilling and modification? Ones that actually fit under the rear deck plastic piece? I read through here and all there I can see is people needing brackets and splicing wires. I just want to be able to put two 6.5 speakers in the rear. Possibly a new 8in sub if it'll work.

I currently have a 15in pioneer in the trunk.

It doesn't matter the brand on speakers. Just something good. Not to pricey for a set. And fits with no required modification.

#44 · (Edited)
So is there any speakers and 8in sub that don't require drilling and modification? Ones that actually fit under the rear deck plastic piece? I read through here and all there I can see is people needing brackets and splicing wires. I just want to be able to put two 6.5 speakers in the rear. Possibly a new 8in sub if it'll work.

I currently have a 15in pioneer in the trunk.

It doesn't matter the brand on speakers. Just something good. Not to pricey for a set. And fits with no required modification.

You Crutchfield as a guide and call to make sure. There are a lot of 6.5 to 6.75's that will fit no problem. Crutchfield gives you the brackets and harnesses with your purchase. I spliced nothing. I did however have to redrill the bracket hole to fit, but Scosche may have fixed or updated this bracket for the 2012. As for an aftermarket sub in the OEM deck, I was able to fit the JL Audio ZR800, but it required some drilling of holes through the plate and I made my own gaskets so that it would fit without any gaps, other than that I really don't thing there is anything that will fit! Stupid rear deck design by Honda. I like my bass in my music, I listen to all kinds of music too.

#41 ·
No bracket.
No drilling.
No new speakers.

The best choice is using a bracket. The stock speakers are 1.050" tall off the metal/frame. The aftermarket bracket for the speakers is .700" thick, add a speaker that has a top protrusion less than .350" and you will not need to worry at all about fitting under plastic deck. i believe there is a bit more clearance than this but it was not feasible to measure. Buy some speaker adapter clips to so you will not have any splicing.

#42 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.