9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I need to get another key for my car. Dealer is asking about $85 for a basic key, and $120 for a key with a remote, which includes programing. Dealer will not cut an aftermarket key, which are plentiful and cheap on ebay. Do you know if locksmiths can cut this type of key? What about the programing? I searched, but found no instructions.

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts

·
Baned
8,538 Posts
I think they'll program it for you even if you didn't buy it from them. If one dealership won't then just try another dealership until you find one that works. Or you can just PM Teeps. He seems to know a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. The dealership wouldn't cut an aftermarket ebay key, I don't think they would refuse to work on the original. I'm surprised that a key can't be self programmed. I have an older Acura and it doesn't require a dealer involvement for this.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Hello,
I need to get another key for my car. Dealer is asking about $85 for a basic key, and $120 for a key with a remote, which includes programing. Dealer will not cut an aftermarket key, which are plentiful and cheap on ebay. Do you know if locksmiths can cut this type of key? What about the programing? I searched, but found no instructions.
This is what I paid for a key from Honda, Part#: 35118-TR0-A00$30.25 key, immobilizer & transmitter(blank) Emission: KA - US Market Spec

The local lock smith wanted $60 to cut the key because it's considered a "high security" key (his explanation.) And, the car had to be present at the time he cut the key.
The local Honda dealer would cut the key for $20. I did not ask about programming because, because "I know a guy."

A valet key (gray) with no remote my cost is $19/

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Thanks. The dealership wouldn't cut an aftermarket ebay key, I don't think they would refuse to work on the original. I'm surprised that a key can't be self programmed. I have an older Acura and it doesn't require a dealer involvement for this.
Older Acura Immobi keys could be "cloned" if you had a working key to clone from.
Lose the red learn key and/or working key and you have to replace the Immobi control unit, key pack to get the car back on the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information. I just realized that I got myself confused. There is an easy way to pair a remote control to the car, but not the transponder chip in the key. Looks like thata visit to a dealer is unavoidable.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,390 Posts
What happened to the first key? If it's lost I can see your issue, but if the metal part of the key has separated from the plastic fob with the buttons, I'd go with a valet key and keep the fob on my key chain as well. I'm wouldn't lay down for a $100 key.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You don't really have any alternatives but that is a bit outrageous, I've seen members quote much less than that to have a key cut and programmed. you buy your E new from Lombard Locksmith.Do a little sweet talking and they'll drop it and made you a new key.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This past weekend, I ended up going to a locksmith to get a spare key. With tax, it cost me $86.60 for just a regular key. They actually had one that had a Honda logo on it. At first, I wanted another key like the one I already had with the integrated remote, but after thinking about it, I decided to just go with the regular key since it'll spend most of its time in a bowl with other keys, not to mention it would save me money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You don't really have any alternatives but that is a bit outrageous, I've seen members quote much less than that to have a key cut and programmed. you buy your E new from Lombard Locksmith.Do a little sweet talking and they'll drop it and made you a new key.
Thanks, but this can be cut and program best at the dealership not at the locksmith store.

·
Registered
494 Posts
My 13 EX key had cracked plastic, and feared it would break in use. Local dealer was useless !! Went to another town and got all new key, cut and programed around $200

1 - 14 of 14 Posts