9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search, but did not definitively find the answer, so I will post the question here. I'm thinking of replacing my stock OEM hubcaps on my 2015 LX Coupe just to give the car a different look. However, it seems that these OEM hubcaps are actually bolted on using the wheel lug nuts. So, for my question, is it possible to remove the stock hubcaps and replace them with standard snap-on type hubcaps? In other words, do the factory steel rims have a standard-shaped interior rim/lip that would allow standard snap-on hubcaps to securely clip in place?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the factory steelies too, but can't say for sure. You could buy a set from Walmart to check it out, and then return them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
I Need A Vacation
13,401 Posts
I did a search, but did not definitively find the answer, so I will post the question here. I'm thinking of replacing my stock OEM hubcaps on my 2015 LX Coupe just to give the car a different look. However, it seems that these OEM hubcaps are actually bolted on using the wheel lug nuts. So, for my question, is it possible to remove the stock hubcaps and replace them with standard snap-on type hubcaps? In other words, do the factory steel rims have a standard-shaped interior rim/lip that would allow standard snap-on hubcaps to securely clip in place?
Take off the lug nuts pop the hubcap out and bolt the lug nuts back on than buy any hubcap of your liking that is the same size as the wheel and they should pop on with no issues.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,390 Posts
Take off the lug nuts pop the hubcap out and bolt the lug nuts back on than buy any hubcap of your liking that is the same size as the wheel and they should pop on with no issues.
There are multiple potential problems with that.

1. The center of the new wheel cover could be too low or close to the stock capped chrome lug nuts to fit without popping off. A solution to this could be to buy old-style non-capped lug nuts whose seats match the seat on the wheel, as was fitted in the old days when full wheel covers over steel wheels was the norm.

2. The traditional edge fasteners of the new wheel covers might not match up with the edge of the Civic steelie. Of course, they might, but they might not.

I have near me a shop that sells. and actually features, wheel covers as well as wheels. If they're open with this business shutdown, I can go over there and check out the possibilities for the OP. Lemme know.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I live in an apartment and don't have ready access to equipment and space to jack up my car to easily change or rotate all the tires, so I just figured that, if standard clip-on hubcaps could fit, I would just have my wheels rotated at my next oil change, and tell the mechanic to leave the factory hubcaps off. But I don't want to do that if I am not reasonably sure that replacement aftermarket ones would fit and stay on. And I did not even consider the height/size of the factory lug nuts.

Scottyrocks, if you happen to be in that wheel shop for your personal business anyway and want to ask them about the wheels, then fine. But I would not want you to go out of your way and go somewhere you don't need to go. This is especially the case with Covid-19 coronavirus -- I wouldn't want you to take the risk of exposure to the virus by going somewhere that you don't need to go. I can wait to get this information, as it is certainly not a pressing priority.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts