9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heyy sorry if this is a really "noob" question but i have no idea, where i'd put the new air filter and how to get there.
If anyone could post some pictures and some simple steps tat would be GREATLY appreciated.

And btw im planning on getting just the regular K&N air filter, the one which looks like a Rectangle, though ive seen some that are rounded (cone like) as well, what do they do and are they hard to install?

Thanks

·
Registered
372 Posts
I personally don't have one. But I am a forum scavenger. And from what I have seen its subjective some say it may cat sound better some not. Some people feel few h/p some not. And few didn't feel anything at all. It's around 50 bucks is it really worth it?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
716 Posts
The square filter is a direct replacement of the paper filter. It drops into the filter box and provides better air flow than the standard paper cartridge. See Below. Also you never need to replace it you just need to clean it.

View attachment 4334

The cone filter attaches to a down pipe on a Cold Air Intake or a Short Air Intake tube. This requires you to remove the stock filter box and intake. See below, your looking at the green pipe with the injen sticker. This is a far more involved process and requires vehicle modification.

View attachment 4333

They're are noob questions, we all start somewhere. Just remember to search the forum and read a lot before you duplicate a post. People are less likely to answer questions if they feel the question has already been answered.

Reactions: sugumar

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The square filter is a direct replacement of the paper filter. It drops into the filter box and provides better air flow than the standard paper cartridge. See Below. Also you never need to replace it you just need to clean it.

View attachment 4334

The cone filter attaches to a down pipe on a Cold Air Intake or a Short Air Intake tube. This requires you to remove the stock filter box and intake. See below, your looking at the green pipe with the injen sticker. This is a far more involved process and requires vehicle modification.

View attachment 4333

They're are noob questions, we all start somewhere. Just remember to search the forum and read a lot before you duplicate a post. People are less likely to answer questions if they feel the question has already been answered.
Thank you i reallllly do appreciate all this!
i guess ill jsut go with the Drop-in Filter

ive looker around the forum, or at least on the DIY section, and found one topic related to this, but not quite.
But thanks for the heads up and advice :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
i just purchase the drop in one. im sure it doesnt really gain much hp, maybe just couple hp on top end.
only reason i bought one is because i dont want to buy anymore paper ones, its cheaper lets say if you keep the k&n for more than 5 years

·
Registered
367 Posts

View attachment 4334

View attachment 4333

Stock Engine Bay.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
K&N air filters are a sure fire way to waist some money on a zero performace increase, while at the same time, allowing more dirt into your engine and fowling your air sensors. Do the research before you pay good money to f-up your new car. They are good for sand dune racing, if that is your goal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Waiting for it to get to the dealer should be thurs :). I was curious though, with all the positive reviews I was going to get one

·
Registered
716 Posts
jeeze Juts show me a picute of your civic and I will post some sources.
My cars pictured below, both stock and modified with an Injen CAI and Injen dry flow filter. I'm curious on your sources. Are you referring to k&n only or all oem filters other than paper filters?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry for the "proof of life". Just assuming you are trying to sell more filters Juts. There are many studies that show the K&N filter allow more fine particulate in to your engine. More air = more dirt. QUOTE- "Am I the only one here who has done a used oil analysis and seen the dramatic increase in sand (silicone) in the oil when using K&N filters?"
Not trying to dis on the product, just trying to steer folks away from a product that will not make their car faster, and may cause unneeded wear and tear.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for the "proof of life". Just assuming you are trying to sell more filters Juts. There are many studies that show the K&N filter allow more fine particulate in to your engine. More air = more dirt. QUOTE- "Am I the only one here who has done a used oil analysis and seen the dramatic increase in sand (silicone) in the oil when using K&N filters?"
Not trying to dis on the product, just trying to steer folks away from a product that will not make their car faster, and may cause unneeded wear and tear.
Please put up a Reliable and Scholarly source.
please and thank you!

·
Registered
716 Posts
The oiled filter is not the best filter on the market but it's not a horrible filter. My gf has a 2004 Hyundai elantra gt which has a k&n filter as a standard. The car has 116,000+ miles and the engine is running solid. Everything else is falling apart but that's not because of the filter.... IMO the filter is not that bad. Yes it let's through a little more particulate, so that it can allow more air but I've never noticed enough to cause an issue. Just think these holes are small and are letting through very small particulate. Just look at how small the particulate that is caught in the filter is. As long as you remember to clean the filter every now and again, i clean it at every oil change because I'm OCD, and you change the oil; i can't see why it would be that bad. I actually noticed that the k&n filter and my AEM dry flow always got dirtier than my paper filters.

For perspective I spent most of my years in upstate NY, with harsh winters, hills, and some rough driving as a dumb teenager.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Only the best for Hyundai's. Say no more.
I never finished my post... Damn ipad....

Yeah but the engine runs like a tank. We've used and abused that car and the engine keeps running away. And as far as this conversation is concerned the engine is the focus. I changed the oil in that car versus my 2001 civic with the standard paper filter and I never noticed a difference in particulate level.

·
H2O in hydrant - K9P out
2,169 Posts
I drive on city roads and I have been considering putting in a K and N filter for a loooong time. Been doing some more reading and found this test on different types of air filters which is quite interesting.

Filtration Testing for Amsoil, K&N, Napa, Jackson Racing, Baldwin, and Mazda air filters on a Miata

Recommend you to look at test results and read (5 minutes of your time), but I can summarize: In this test the filtering difference between K and N and others is relatively small, perhaps as low as a 1% difference. However, is the 1% difference significant over hundreds of thousands of kilometers? This seems to be debatable. Proper cleaning and oiling of K and N Filter is essential because if the filter is improperly oiled (Ex. too much put on) it can get to the Manifold sensors and cause a range of damage. From the minor annoyance of just the sensor alarm going off to significant damage to the motor.

I am certainly no expert and have never used the filter before. Please feel free to add any comments that are legitimate and authenticated (I am not looking for opinions, Thanks!).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts