9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, basic question: How to change out stock low beam bulb- 9th civic si? I look at the driver side is in front of the battery (can't reach in) and the passenger side is in front of the washer fluid unit (can't reach in).???

·
Registered
6 Posts
there are actually instructions in the owners manual... it's kind of a pain in the... I couldn't hardly see at night and it occurred to me that I have been running Sylvania Silverstars in my truck for YEARS... swapped out the highs and lows with silverstars... what a difference!

·
August 2012 FB2/FG3 ROTM Winner
2,264 Posts

·
H2O in hydrant - K9P out
2,169 Posts
Just finished putting in
Nokya Arctic Whites (bulbs, not HIDs)
7000 55 9006 HB4
Finally!!! It has been a long and patient journey for me to find the right bulbs for me (did not want to blind anybody, nor have any chance of warning lights, flickers etc.)
These lights are perfect.Not quite as bright as stock however. appearance has a touch of blue (didn't want too blue).
Whoooohoooo!!!! :woowoo:
Thanks to DpzlilFrank14 for his help!
Used the PDF file that Trung posted here for the DIY. Dam, you need to be patient to get that light out on the passenger side.....and putting the new one in was an interesting yoga experience for me. Give yourself 40 minutes if you work carefully like me.

·
Registered
929 Posts
This was one of the first things I did, the passenger side I just popped out the windshield washer snorkel thing, it actually slides right out and its enough room to play around, and for the drivers side there's really no way around it other than removing the battery, now I'm just praying I don't have to do this again dude to a blown bulb.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
rotartsinimdA
4,050 Posts
This was one of the first things I did, the passenger side I just popped out the windshield washer snorkel thing, it actually slides right out and its enough room to play around, and for the drivers side there's really no way around it other than removing the battery, now I'm just praying I don't have to do this again dude to a blown bulb.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
You can loosen tue down on battery and there's enough wiggle room to slide your hand in

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
H2O in hydrant - K9P out
2,169 Posts
You can loosen tue down on battery and there's enough wiggle room to slide your hand in

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Okay, that might make it easier if you take out the plastic piece. I didn't do that and there was so little room to get my hand in there. I know that if you touch the bulb with your skin that its lifetime will be adversly affected. I know the bulb was touching metal and plastic as I carefully, yet awkwardly put it into place. It's likely that there was a little crud, grease, dirt on the plastic that it touched so I'm sure this bulb will not last as long. So far, so good..and hey who knows maybe I'll get lucky.

The DIY pdf file that Trung posted (the official Honda "how to") made it relatively easy to change the driver side one. The passenger side one....what a biatch!

·
Photoshop Masta
2,834 Posts
Just finished putting in
Nokya Arctic Whites (bulbs, not HIDs)
7000 55 9006 HB4
Finally!!! It has been a long and patient journey for me to find the right bulbs for me (did not want to blind anybody, nor have any chance of warning lights, flickers etc.)
These lights are perfect.Not quite as bright as stock however. appearance has a touch of blue (didn't want too blue).
Whoooohoooo!!!! :woowoo:
Thanks to DpzlilFrank14 for his help!
Used the PDF file that Trung posted here for the DIY. Dam, you need to be patient to get that light out on the passenger side.....and putting the new one in was an interesting yoga experience for me. Give yourself 40 minutes if you work carefully like me.
"it was an interesting yoga experience for me"....Hahaha!! I know exactly what you mean bro, it was a sonuvabtich to install my HID's, my hands were all marked up and my back was tired as hell from being hunched over lol. The drivers side wasn't so bad with the battery removed, but damn, that passenger side was HELL!!!

·
H2O in hydrant - K9P out
2,169 Posts
I didn't have to move my battery for the driver's side, but I did take apart the plastic air thing (as instructed in pdf file ...see trung's post below), then had enough room to squeeze my hand in there. For the passenger's side I moved the windsheild wiper juice plastic thing, but broke the plastic clip (even though I was being careful not to). Put a nut and bolt to hold it solid now.

While putting in the passenger side bulb I just kept chanting to myself: Don't fukin, drop it, don't fukin' drop it.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Drl

Hi,
If I install LED DRL as low beam lights instead of standard 9005 HB3 do I have to add a resistor? Is the electronics affected in any way? Next question will be if someone isntalled HID Xenon lights on a Honda Civic 2012 and if it's difficult? Thank you for your answer.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi,
If I install LED DRL as low beam lights instead of standard 9005 HB3 do I have to add a resistor? Is the electronics affected in any way? Next question will be if someone isntalled HID Xenon lights on a Honda Civic 2012 and if it's difficult? Thank you for your answer.
not sure about the first question but for the 2nd one its no all that hard its just a pita cramming ur hand inside the small ass engine bay that we have :p the driver side is a bit easier if u remove the battery

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Installation was easier than I thought: I do not have big hands hence I was able to sneak my right hand palm in between the lights block and the battery. The problem I have is that ever since my MID is showing constantly when I start the engine: Check DRL system and the amber warning stays on. I red some place on one advertised LED sellers on eBay that "some cars may need a ballast resistor" probably to simulate the halogen bulb to the electronic controller.
Is about this resistor my question about. Thanks anyone who replies to this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's quicker to just remove the bumper and pull the headlight out. (Provided you have a ratchet extension)
Removing the battery and the washer filler neck would take 15 minutes tops. Much less work than taking off the whole front bumper and removing the headlights just to change the bulbs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Removing the bumper takes me less than 15 minutes and I'm left with much more space to work. Now, removing the headlights (which is why you would remove the bumper) does take a few minutes too. My problem is that my headlights are retrofitted and it's extremely hard to pull on the clip holding in the H1 bulbs without just taking out the headlights.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts