9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I bought a used 2015 SI earlier this summer. The previous owner obviously had his own axle-back exhaust on there (as when I bought it the exhaust was clearly taken out of a junkyard and sloppily welded together, its something youd see on an early 90's corolla), so I got my own Injen exhaust. The car also has an aftermarket AF Dynamics Short Ram CAI on it, but no flashpro to make it run properly. Im replacing the CAI with a stock air box within the coming week. It is my suspicion that the previous owner had a flashpro tune installed, but I want to make sure that Im running a stock tune meant for stock parts once the airbox is on and not one for the CAI thats currently installed. I did throw a p0402 code (running rich) a while back but it went away by itself very fast for some reason and I haven't messed with it since. I've heard disconnecting the battery or ECU fuse would "reset" my ECU, is this something I should do? And will it reset any tune thats currently on there? I'd really rather not shell out the ~$1000 for a flashpro and custom tune at this moment, but Im open to it in the future.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Disconnecting the battery will not put the stock tune back in. More than likely, they reflashed to stock so they could sell the tuner (much like the hacked your exhaust up so they could sell what they had on it). Hondata or k-tuner is locked to a car, only way to unlock so you can sell is put the stock tune back in.
Couple ways to tell, 136mph speed limiter (don't recommend trying), and having rev-hang on stock tune. I'm sure there's other ways to tell. When you put stock intake stuff back on, disconnecting battery may be a good idea. Either way sounds like your on the right track.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Maybe since you are open to buying a flashpro/ktuner in the future, snag one now. I know $1000 (cad) is a kick in the balls but its something you’ll need if you plan on keeping the car for a while...
Just unplugging the battery will not help.
See what happens when you throw the stock airbox back in, hopefully it will correct itself?
Either way, good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
For sure, I'll update once the stock airbox is back in. It's in the mail right now. I should mention that this car is my daily, and as of right now it's running fine. Fuel economy is fine, idle is fine right at 700rpm, just threw that p0402 code for a bit a while back.

I should add that I do believe the ecu was returned to stock before i bought it. The Rev hang issue is very present, but I don't let it bother me too much for now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just put the stock air box back on today. Took a bit longer than I wanted it to since I didn't have an OEM valve cover breather pipe, which is currently on backorder. The angle of the breather outlet on the stock intake tube made it a bit painful, but I managed to improvise with a section of elbow hose to keep it from kinking. Ill put the oem pipe on whenever it comes in. Engine feels/sounds a lot better now, but that probably has a lot to do with how terrible of condition the old intake and filter were in. No CEL so far, drove it around for 30-40 miles to make sure everything was working fine. Idles great right where it should.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Looks good! Did you buy the air box new?

The computer is pretty picky about intake air when stock. I changed my filter, and it was dirty enough it threw a CEL with the new filter. Reset CEL and it was happy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did buy it new. I work for another major auto manufacturer, so I was able to get a bit of a discount on parts through connections at work. No CEL so far, been 3 days!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts