9th Gen Civic Forum banner

resonator delete Lx sedan? (sound?)

15K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  scottyrocks 
#1 ·
I am looking for a better sound then I accelerate but dont have the funds for a takeda exhaust. I read about deleting the resonator but every thread I have read with links are dead. Is this even a good idea on a Lx? Should I just save for the takeda exhaust? What a low rumble not something loud like a bag of rice

#2 ·
Resist the itch. IMO I have learned to wait for the nicer things and it ends up giving more satisfaction. That being said. I plan to get a axle back and have a shop remove the resonator and install the axle back while their at it. I will not make a move until i have the kit in the box in my hands. Planning and patience will pay off.

#3 ·
Folks here have reported that the res delete on an R18 does nothing, and maybe hurts performance a bit.

I would, and did, go a different route. K&N drop-in (which I always do), and an inexpensive axleback. I got a little more sound, and a little more performance.

#5 ·
I just did an ebay search for it, but there are none available right now.

Why ebay doesn't allow searches by seller I don't know. That would make this so much easier. Let me see if I can find my old auction link.

#6 ·
#19 ·
#8 ·
An axel back won't do anything but make rice noises the only way you will see a increase of you put a header down pipe then throw a axel back in you gotta start from we're the exahust comes from

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I didn't think he was asking about performance but yeah...axle back isn't going to give you much other than a noise change. Same goes for the resonator alone.

The sound will all come down to personal taste. Some call everything 'rice' some like what they hear.

#9 ·
Yes, real performance gains require more than an axleback. The OP wants a little more sound. If that's rice to you, then so be it. To each their own.

#13 ·
Without a real tune, anything but very modest changes will bring negative results - at least that's what I've been reading lots of here.

Personally, I think I have been using a very good combination of mild intake and exhaust mods to increase performance, even if just a bit. But I've been using combos such as this for years on a number of cars.

#14 ·
I totally agree Scotty thats why Iv gone with the 8th gen SI OEM axle back and Takeda intake.Any more and the Air fuel mixture wont adjust to a reasonable level.My 8th gen EX had a K&N SRI and vibrant catback before the Vit tune it was running a 15.5 AFM and after the tune a 12.8 and added about 15 HP edyno is at the crank not wheels

Text Line Pattern Design Plot

Reactions: scottyrocks
#16 ·
wow, thanks for the compliment, leo.

ive used k&n dropins for years on many cars and bikes and always have had good results.

the issue ive had with gas mileage, though, is that because the car runs smoother its hard for me to keep my foot out of it. but if you can manage some restraint your mileage should be the same or better, at least it has in my experience. plus its inexpensive, plus you dont need to pay for air filters anymore, plus you dont need a tune.

#23 ·
I have the full tusudo exhaust with down pipe and takeda intake. Added a lot of performance higher end and a lot more torque lower end. Sounds really good not too loud and very deep sounding. Inside of car is a little loud but I like it for now. I have a video of on the interstate if you want it. I raced a modded teg ls and walked it with no problem if that shows you power range. I'm now looking for tubbing and a better suspension.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#24 ·
2015 civic lx (non si) r18 reso delete and muffler delete kept stock resonator

honestly there is a torque drop you can feel it off the line unless you double tap the acceleration

sounds meanner then I though for a cvt and automatic

guess Honda has done some engine research

the level of loud is just slightly louder then stock but way deeper esp if you let the low end take over slightly pressing then letting off as much as you can to let the car keep rolling and not loose your current speed

#25 ·
Merged.

#27 ·
I will tell you, Vic, that increased exhaust sound is much better with an MT than with a AT. A droning CVT, I have no idea, but you can always give it a try.

I need to make a video (for sound) with my MT and its axleback, with the rear baffle both in and out, and post it in a couple of appropriate threads. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.