9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 550 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another Project - Reverse/Backup Camera?

Hi all -
I know mods to the new Civics are still somewhat few and far between, but this is something I'd love to see figured out.

Does anyone think it is logistically possible to add a backup camera to the license plate area of the car, and somehow modify the i-MID display to switch to that display when the car is in reverse?

I haven't opened up my dash to look behind any of this stuff yet, and probably wouldn't know what to look for if I did. But, I'd love to know if it's even possible.

If you've done this and can post pictures, I'll personally send you $1 as a thank you!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been pondering the same thing today. Using the I-mid display for backup camera uses is perfect but i don't think it is easy or possible.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was planning on just installing a rear-view mirror camera system...i want to do the i-mid, but I wont know until I crack open the dash...I will know next week.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was planning on just installing a rear-view mirror camera system...i want to do the i-mid, but I wont know until I crack open the dash...I will know next week.
From what i've seen done with other cars this would be the easiest option to do, because having to mess with the i-mid could really end up being a serious pain in the butt, especially this early on with the car.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
i dont think its possible to do this.....i dont know if there are any AUX ports on the iMID to hook anything up like a camera, or how you would get reverse to trigger the i MID to activate the camera. just my .02's, but i would do a double din touch screen and add the back up camera option. Probably a little more expensive but i guess it all depends on what name brand you go with. I had a Eclipse nav/dvd with the back up camera and it was amazing.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
You can't use te IMF without reprogramming the head unit

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would love to have the rear-view mirror camera system but have to wait awhile as the Retro fit Projectors and Angel Rings is going to set me back over 8 bills not including the LED lights.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I doubt the iMID is capable of directly handling real time video. I noticed there are a few GPS units with rear view cameras (GPS Backup Camera, Wireless Backup Camera RV truck, Pan & Tilt handheld monitor, Pan & Tilt IP Network Camera, Dancing Daisy baby monitor, usb wireless video camera). Concept is good since the GPS has the internal logic to at least switch to the GPS mode when you are moving fwd, camera in rvrs, anp probably a menu option for stationary thus, eliminating the need to interface with the transmission. Anyone ever had experience with them?

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
on my truck I had an in dash double din that my backup camera hooked up to, it was awesome, but I like the factory radio in my civic and it doesn't sound half bad

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
What we are seeing in the dash is simply a display, correct? Its run by a computer/radio input someplace else behind the dash?

I'm sure someone out there will create a module to tap into its display for something just like this...i was thinking the same thing - tapping into it to display my GPS and/or backup...would be great.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What we are seeing in the dash is simply a display, correct? Its run by a computer/radio input someplace else behind the dash?

I'm sure someone out there will create a module to tap into its display for something just like this...i was thinking the same thing - tapping into it to display my GPS and/or backup...would be great.
Yes, it is simply a display, however the digital interface is rather complex. I believe with honda Navi this display will show turn by turn instructions.

You would have to design a module that would accept a video signal, and convert it for use on the I-Mid. Now if you were to overcome all of the technical issues doing this you still have to find a way of getting the video signal from your GPS, hopefully one that does not involve a soldering iron, tweezers and a magnifying glass. TomTom may be very different then Garmin and then in 2012 Honda makes a slight change that kills your module Big investment and risk for a very limited market. No auto manufacturer will make it easy for you to use your $200 GPS when they have one for $1800

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, it is simply a display, however the digital interface is rather complex. I believe with honda Navi this display will show turn by turn instructions.

You would have to design a module that would accept a video signal, and convert it for use on the I-Mid. Now if you were to overcome all of the technical issues doing this you still have to find a way of getting the video signal from your GPS, hopefully one that does not involve a soldering iron, tweezers and a magnifying glass. TomTom may be very different then Garmin and then in 2012 Honda makes a slight change that kills your module Big investment and risk for a very limited market. No auto manufacturer will make it easy for you to use your $200 GPS when they have one for $1800
Your logic gave me a sad.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
I wonder though, is the iMID completely controlled by the head unit or does it work with it, becasue that could really prevent a lot of people from using aftermarket head units :/

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wonder though, is the iMID completely controlled by the head unit or does it work with it, becasue that could really prevent a lot of people from using aftermarket head units :/
My guess would be you can still install a head in the center stack and have it work independently of the iMID. You simply would not have any of the multi media information displayed on the iMID. The auto manufacturer will try to prevent aftermarket devices from working with original equipment but they will not prevent them from working alone. This is done for warranty and liability protection. My IMid specific knowledge is what I know from the forums so I could be way off.

·
Registered
681 Posts
hmm that does look promising i didn't even know that was there haha. you could always call honda and see what that is meant for?

1 - 20 of 550 Posts