Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I haven't seen this problem on this forum, so not sure if anybody has experienced this in the past. When i first put my car in reverse from a dead-stop, it goes in just find, and I can reverse like normal. However, DURING the reverse, if i were to put the gear to Neutral, and while the car is coasting slowly in reverse, I put the gear back to Reverse, it'll make a "grinding" noise and feel - sometimes even feel like the grind you hear when trying to put the shifter into a gear without using a clutch.

Anyone knows why that is? This only happens on my Reverse gear and only WHILE the car is coasting slowly in reverse.

Thanks in advance all :D

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
Hi,

I haven't seen this problem on this forum, so not sure if anybody has experienced this in the past. When i first put my car in reverse from a dead-stop, it goes in just find, and I can reverse like normal. However, DURING the reverse, if i were to put the gear to Neutral, and while the car is coasting slowly in reverse, I put the gear back to Reverse, it'll make a "grinding" noise and feel - sometimes even feel like the grind you hear when trying to put the shifter into a gear without using a clutch.

Anyone knows why that is? This only happens on my Reverse gear and only WHILE the car is coasting slowly in reverse.

yeaaaaaah don't do that. We all have that issue. The reverse gears are straight cut so trying to shift into reverse while moving isn't going to be smooth or too healthy.

·
Photoshop Masta
2,880 Posts
Hi,

That's normal. Reverse will not engage while rolling. You must be at a complete stop.

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you leave it in neutral when parked, selecting first before selecting reverse seems to allow smoother engagement. But grinding when going into reverse doesn't seem normal. Make sure you foot is all the way on the brake and the car isn't rolling, even slightly. I get a noticeable "clunk" when engaging reverse, but no grinding unless the car is rolling a bit.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Most Honda manual transmissions have straight-cut reverse gears. This causes a noticeable clunk when the teeth of the gears mesh when selecting reverse. Completely normal. This is also what causes the whining noise when in reverse. Again, perfectly normal.

The new 9th Gen Accord manual trans supposedly has helical reverse gears, which is the same as all forward gears, and is supposed to be much quieter when in reverse.

·
I Like Grits
9,655 Posts

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
Digger. Are you a developer of the forum.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
No he is not. There are no devs active on the forum unless we pull them aside to fix things. When they are here they use the "Administrator" account. Digger is a well known poster that was promoted to mod status. His nickname comes from his ability to dig up old posts relevant to newer ones as well as bumping old posts and making them relevant again. Personally I would like to see this topic closed but i'll let Digger handle this one since he was here first.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Your car would have to be moving or the clutch not fully engaged to cause a grinding sound, clunk is normal

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
192 Posts
U can kick it in any forward gear first and ur good. I usually shift to third, then with foot still on the clutch, out it in R and its good to go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.