9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone else has experienced regular grinding when trying to get in reverse so I could get some insight. When I try to put my 2014 si sedan in reverse it almost always fights me, even with the handbrake on and the clutch all the way in. It grinds on its way in nearly every time, and often it will only go in about halfway and get stuck there without grinding unless I let off the clutch. Pumping the clutch fixes that sometimes but still grinds almost always and I want to know why before I even think about upgrading my transmission. Bought the car from a dealer 7,000 miles ago and they claim they replaced the mtf when they got the car. I'd appreciate any help or ideas!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just figured out that putting it into gear first and then going straight to reverse helps but is there a permanent fix?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Are you sure the clutch pedal is fully depressed?
Does your car have after market floor mats, or more than one set of floor mats stacked up?
Do you experience difficulty shifting into 1st gear when the car is stopped?
How many miles on the car?
Contamination of the clutch friction disk can cause the symptoms you describe.

Reverse gear is not synchronized.
Probably; It is what it is.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Had the same problem. The clutch's pressure plate was worn and the clutch never fully released. The easiest way to confirm this is to stop the engine when it will do this. If reverse engage without drama with the engine off, it's definitely a clutch\clutch release (Master and\or slave cylinder) mechanism issue.

Marko.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts