9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone just recently bought a white 2012 civic lx as my first car and am very excited about it.Im new to the whole aftermarket customization of vehicles meaning ive never done any. Just wondering what size rim goes well with lx civics, im thinking 17" or 18" but with that being said not sure what size tire id put on them.

Anything helpful for a 1st time car owner would be very appreciated, dont wanna buy anything i wont be able to use or just looks funny.

Thanks
keefington

·
Hola
3,746 Posts
Hi everyone just recently bought a white 2012 civic lx as my first car and am very excited about it.Im new to the whole aftermarket customization of vehicles meaning ive never done any. Just wondering what size rim goes well with lx civics, im thinking 17" or 18" but with that being said not sure what size tire id put on them.

Anything helpful for a 1st time car owner would be very appreciated, dont wanna buy anything i wont be able to use or just looks funny.

Thanks
keefington
I've got an LX coupe and after a year and a half of looking I finally decided on a set of wheels, so hopefully I can help.

There really isn't a difference when it comes to what wheels fit between lx ex and si. So your best bet would be for 17s or 18s. Its really up to you which you get. Unless you want to really camber your rear wheels, stick to a width of 8.5 or lower and an offset no lower than +25 or +30. For tires, your best bet is probably 215/45/17 or 225/40/18, depending on whether you go 17 or 18. Use the search bar and look around and decide which wheels you like and what specs you want. You can also use this link to help figure out what will fit best: http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

Hope this helps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got an LX coupe and after a year and a half of looking I finally decided on a set of wheels, so hopefully I can help.

There really isn't a difference when it comes to what wheels fit between lx ex and si. So your best bet would be for 17s or 18s. Its really up to you which you get. Unless you want to really camber your rear wheels, stick to a width of 8.5 or lower and an offset no lower than +25 or +30. For tires, your best bet is probably 215/45/17 or 225/40/18, depending on whether you go 17 or 18. Use the search bar and look around and decide which wheels you like and what specs you want. You can also use this link to help figure out what will fit best: 1010TIRES.COM - Wheel Offset Calculator

Hope this helps.

Thanks that will definitely help me out when lookin. Did you have a problem with the TPMS because ive noticed that only some ppl have been having problems from the research ive been doin.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Old thread is old, but I might have some info you can use.

Did you have a problem with the TPMS because ive noticed that only some ppl have been having problems from the research ive been doin.
I think there are a few options available for TPMS.

1) Leave them out, use cheap rubber stems and ignore the light.

2) Swap the original sensors to your new wheels (if they are compatible, configurations/angles for steel and aluminum wheels are not always identical).

3) Buy a new set of 4 sensors and have them programmed (learned, married) to the car

4) Aftermarket "cloneable" sensors.

I kept my original set of steel wheels and tires for use in winter. I purchased a set of new OEM sensors for the new wheels. I have to reprogram them when I swap for the season. (Not a big deal for me.)

Aftermarket has sensors available that can be programmed with the sensor I.D. numbers from your original sensors, effectively "cloning" the original sensors. This would allow you to avoid the cost of relearning new sensors to the car, and you would be able to freely swap between winter and summer tires at any time with no further relearning of the sensors.
Inquire at your local tire shops and regular independent shops as I doubt many dealers will have this option available.
I can't comment about the reliability of aftermarket sensors though.

I'm running 18x8 rims from a 2012 V-6 Accord Coupe, with 225-40-18 Michelins.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
These are some questions u need to answer when selecting the wheels & size...

How much is your budget ?

You care more about performance or cosmetic ?

Are you willing to decrease your mpg for cheap, heavy wheel ?

How many miles u drives a year ?

You need snow tires in the winter ?

Last question is, you like to blend in with the crowd/trend or you need to be unique, one of a kind ?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Are you willing to decrease your mpg for cheap, heavy wheel ?
This.
Although mine weren't cheap, they are a good amount heavier then the original steelies, and the wide low profile tires are not economy friendly. I could tell a big difference immediately.

My daily commute was as much as 33-34 with the original Firestone Fuel Fighters on it. (Best was in the summer. Cold weather driving really causes my mileage to drop.)
This summer with the 18s on, the best I have been able to muster is around 29 on the same commute.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
example of how i choose wheels for a customer whose looking to maintain stock configuration without sacrifice mpg & thread wear. within reasonable price range.

17" stock si wheels & tires weight about 46lbs each.
15" lx stock wheels & tires weight about 37lbs each.

if your LX install enkei rpf1 17x7 et45 + kumho kh25 215/45-17, total weight will be about 37lbs for the combo.

so the unsprung weight is virtually unchanged for LX.

& the kh25 is a touring tires & thread-wear is 480 vs the stock conti-pro contact's 500, so it's pretty much the same as the stock..

the whole package cost $1244 from the tire rack.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
this is another popular set up...

xxr 527 18x8.75 + nankang 215/40-18...

$569 for the rims + $304 for the tires ($873)... all can be purchase on ebay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts