9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any real world experience on any differences between the 9th Gen Civic and the 10th Gen Civic when it comes to how much road noise is transferred into the cabin?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,206 Posts
My '15 is quieter than my '12, both 9th gen LX coupes.

'12s have a sound deadener shortage.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My '15 is quieter than my '12, both 9th gen LX coupes.

'12s have a sound deadener shortage.
Yup... Honda got complaints about noise on the 12s so they added noise dampeners and I believe a thicker windshield. I have not driven a 10th gen so I can't compare the two.

Concerned about noise?? Test drive the vehicle you are interested in.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,206 Posts
Tires can significantly affect road noise. And on top of that, road surface can affect road noise. And on top of that, people's version's of the how much road noise there are different.

For example, my last 2 LXs came with the Conti ProContacts. I thought they were pretty quiet, depending on road surface, while others though they were horribly loud.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Our '18 is noticeably quieter on both city street and freeway driving. It is not enough to make me want to upgrade our 9th gen to another 10th gen. Plus we have college to think about :)

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
How much of road noise is due to tire brand/type?
Tires are a major contributor...

Tires are a major after market component for auto makers; lots of money to be made and/or lost with tire selection for a new model.
While I was working for Honda this info was considered "need to know"; and I guess I never needed to know.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm currently running Kumho Ecsta PA31 on my car. I would guess these are going to be some of the more "noisy" type tires.

What are good quiet tire brands and models?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I'm currently running Kumho Ecsta PA31 on my car. I would guess these are going to be some of the more "noisy" type tires.

Thanks!
IMO Michellin will always be the best. They're most expensive for a reason. BFG is owned by them so you get the same quality at a fraction of the price.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,206 Posts

Thanks!
I run the same tires. They're not outstanding at any one thing, but do everything well.

I think they are very quiet, but that's my opinion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Goodyear A/S tire that comes on the new Civic Si is very loud, especially on the highway. My buddy swapped his for some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Much better! His girlfriend said the phone calls were noticeably clearer after the change as well!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts