Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Take a moment and visit the Civic Noise Website - Click here: index

Today, May 1st I started a couple of petitions. One directed to American Honda and the second to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I started my research on the noise issues on the 2012 Civic a few months ago and have made several contacts to American Honda trying to get help. I've purchased Sound Level Meters, completed extensive road testing and compiled lots of information on the Civic Noise Website.

If you are feeling a bit short changed, and wish you had held out for a 2013 Honda Civic, now is your chance to get involved. In the next few weeks Honda is going to have another "expert" evaluate the low frequency resonant sound vibrations commonly referred to as road noise in my 2012 Civic LX Coupe. Testing has shown noise levels on a consistent basis (even with the factory service rep in the car for verification) at over 85 decibels and up to 105 decibels. Until a short time ago, those numbers meant nothing to me, but now after many hours of reading and research, I can tell you straight up, the noise levels are not healthy.

Lots of answers on the Civic Noise website. Leave your checkbooks and credit cards in your pocket; there is nothing you can buy on the site, just information, links and how you can become involved should Honda recall these cars for a little sound proofing.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Signed and emailed.

While I have not had any health related issues as a result of the wind noise (besides a headache from loudness and a sore throat from having to speak louder so passengers can hear me), I am absolutely disgusted by how loud these cars are. I've owned a 2006 Si and a 2010 EX-L sedan and they were lightyears quieter (and more refined) than the two 2012 Si coupes I've owned.

My current Si coupe has developed a 'leak' in the driver's side window that sounds as though its leaking air/road noise from inside the door panel loudly while the window is all the way up. The window, when the down button is pushed for a fraction of a second, causes the noise to go away. Honda has attempted to fix this three times now with no success and I have an open case file with American Honda's Customer Service (who claim to never have heard of this, despite the fact that I know at least half dozen other owners that have called regarding the SAME issue).

My passenger side window is starting to do this in the last 1,000 miles as well. My first 2012 Si never did this, and the second one did not when I first purchased it.

The 2012 Civic is the loudest vehicle I have ever been in, particularly at highway speeds. While its not causing me any physical issues, it is unacceptably noisy for a car, even in this class, and significantly louder than the vehicle it replaced.

Just wanted to share my experiences. Good luck man: please keep us updated!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Of everything about this car I love,I ABSOLUTELY HATE! The road noise this car produces.I sometimes feel I am driving a 28 roadster( without the power). In the end his will probably be the reason I'll trade in next summer for an accord coupe v6. I'll be taking it on a trip before then when I will really get an evaluation of the noise level,I can't get over how bad it is sometimes nd wish I took it on the freeway when I took a few test drives( what the hell was I thinking),all the other problems people have experienced I have not but this is a real source of dis content with me.Please keep us posted!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
rotartsinimdA
4,050 Posts
I have a 12 inch sub that pounds and I have to crank my volume up to about 22 to block out road noise in my car. I never really connected it to health issues but I get a lot of ear aches when I drive with my daughter in car (sub off)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Yeah I have an analyzer too,but damn where did you hit 105 db?thats insane but I can say it had to of been the tires.
The in cab noise is mainly due to the tires if I get a new patch of asphalt all I hear is exhaust,no wind noise or anything.this is going at about 75.ask me how I know I drive the same 109 mile stretch to work and back each day.in an si.which is the loudest recorded in cabs.
This in cab noise is due to the tires and fender wells not fully insulated.but no big deal.
I would try different tires and check the tires themselves before purchasing most manufacturers list the sound level or road noise they produce.
Just food for thought.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The weird rain/wind noise coming through the door does sort of bother me though.
So you have this issue too? There's several of us on this forum that have this issue. I'd say it was part of the design of the vehicle, but I know for certain fact that my first 2012 Si never made this noise, and the second one (my current one) most certainly didn't when it was brand new. And I can make the sound go away by pressing the window down button for a fraction of a second, so the window is still sealed. That's enough to assuage most owners, but not me - I want Honda to fix this and I'm not going to stop until they do. That's just poor design and even worse execution on an already noisy car, plain and simple.

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
So you have this issue too? There's several of us on this forum that have this issue. I'd say it was part of the design of the vehicle, but I know for certain fact that my first 2012 Si never made this noise, and the second one (my current one) most certainly didn't when it was brand new. And I can make the sound go away by pressing the window down button for a fraction of a second, so the window is still sealed. That's enough to assuage most owners, but not me - I want Honda to fix this and I'm not going to stop until they do. That's just poor design and even worse execution on an already noisy car, plain and simple.
There are a lot of us with this issue I think. Pushing the button doesn't help with mine either it is just usually that way. Honda gives zero shits.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,071 Posts
Apparently the address the noise issues for the 2013 platform.

Interesting, that, because the '12 and '13 bodies are identical (front and rear clips excepted), unless there are some underlying changes in the doors that cannot be seen from the outside. Would the strengthened chassis and/or thicker windshield fix this wind noise problem? Doesn't seem likely, as the issue seems to be a combination of the curvature of the window and how far up it goes into its frame.

Was this a big known probkem back when the '13 refresh was being designed?

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
It was well known and identified before refresh BUT only by forums and not critics... Honda doesn't listen to the people they listen to the critics - all about the ratings ain't it?
Yep. That's why we ended up with a '13 with a soft touch interior rather than a more functional iMid, pedals that let you heel toe, door seals or whatever that aren't leaky...

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Interesting, that, because the '12 and '13 bodies are identical (front and rear clips excepted), unless there are some underlying changes in the doors that cannot be seen from the outside. Would the strengthened chassis and/or thicker windshield fix this wind noise problem? Doesn't seem likely, as the issue seems to be a combination of the curvature of the window and how far up it goes into its frame.

Was this a big known probkem back when the '13 refresh was being designed?
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/04/2013-honda-civic-sedan-review-five-point-inspection.html/3
Here ya go my friend.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
Apparently the address the noise issues for the 2013 platform.

Been driving a '13 EX today. It was much quieter than the Si. Could be many reasons, but for sure on the same stretch of road it was quieter.

Give my Si a fresh patch of asphalt and all I hear at 80 mph is exhaust and engine noise - to be expected at 3300 rpm.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,071 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
I bought a 2013 Accord (4 cyl CVT) a month ago. Went back to drive the Civic (my wife now drives it because she said the Accord is "too big" for just 3 inch wider) and I would want to jump out from the car after 3 minutes...That's not even on highway speed, but 35-40mph on local.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i have the wind issue there too, also get the wind coming through my window controls/ handle area. kinda annoying in -38C

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.