9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I got another question.

I'm travelling just a little above 20km/hr around 3 - 3.5k RPM in first gear. I'm not shifting up because i have to slow down soon.
If I let go of gas at this point, the car rocks alot. It's like I made a bad shift.

I know there's some engine breaking involved, but is this normal?

Thanks,

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hey guys,
I got another question.

I'm travelling just a little above 20km/hr around 3 - 3.5k RPM in first gear. I'm not shifting up because i have to slow down soon.
If I let go of gas at this point, the car rocks alot. It's like I made a bad shift.

I know there's some engine breaking involved, but is this normal?

Thanks,
It's "normal" to our cars but it shouldnt be so rocky, it happens to me on 1st and 2nd gears when in traffic. Usually gotta press the clutch in for it to be smooth.

I have heard flashpro cures this

·
Registered
566 Posts
What you're feeling is engine braking and it is pretty noticeable in the Si, especially in 1st and 2nd gears. If you are creeping and need to slow down and re-apply gas, press clutch and rev-match if necessary. Makes low-speed driving much smoother.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It's "normal" to our cars but it shouldnt be so rocky, it happens to me on 1st and 2nd gears when in traffic. Usually gotta press the clutch in for it to be smooth.

I have heard flashpro cures this
Mine seems worse since I got flashpro,but I'm just running the reflash map.Once I get a legit tune maybe it will be smoother but not sure.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,576 Posts
On and off the gas in first gear without pressing the clutch causes a lot of rocking, even for more experienced drivers. If you're in stop-and-go traffic, push the clutch if you have to let off the gas in 1st.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would guess this is play in the drive train as your engine goes from pushing the car forward to slowing it down? Don't have the civic yet but it is very noticeable on my truck. Probably pretty normal.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Mine seems worse since I got flashpro,but I'm just running the reflash map.Once I get a legit tune maybe it will be smoother but not sure.
I was playing around with this myself. Check the fuel cut off timing in 1st gear... this did reduce the over-rev in everyday driving but if I was moving slowly in 1st around a parking lot... boy did it jerk when you let off the gas without the clutch or depressing not soon or immediately after letting off the gas.

Reactions: SnowShow

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you're driving in first in traffic and trying to keep a constant speed, shift to a higher gear. It'll lower your rpm letting your engine work less, more mpg, very small amount. Usually with the case of the first gear rocking, that's because the first gears ratio is smaller than the rest, so the first gear is more sensitive to changes in speed. After a year of driving stick, what i suggest you do is push on the clutch as you let go off gas, but synchronize it. Just think of it the opposite of synchronizing when you're pushing gas and letting go off your clutch. Rev match to accelerate again. Know your sweet spot! It'll get rid of your rocking

Sent from my GS3.
"I rather loose by a mile in a car I built myself rather than win by a foot in a car someone else built for me." - Moog

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
All stick shift vehicles do that because of the gear ratio for 1st, if you think the civic is bad try a truck with granny low 1st.
You have 2 options, shift to 2nd, or push the clutch in. I gave you the shift points in another thread, but those are really for accelerating up to speed. When stuck in slow moving traffic it's often best to hit 2nd gear earlier than normal.

It's good that you are learning the "feel" part of driving a stick, that is the key.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,576 Posts
Just remember that 1st is never a cruising gear. It's only purpose is get the car rolling from a stop before you get to 2nd gear.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just remember that 1st is never a cruising gear. It's only purpose is get the car rolling from a stop before you get to 2nd gear.
this is true, but that doesn't mean that i cannot be used to cruise short distances. You can cruise short distances, but keep the speed constant, as soon as you change speeds, there comes the rocking and the jolts.
Thank you scottyrocks

·
Registered
63 Posts
All stick shift vehicles do that because of the gear ratio for 1st, if you think the civic is bad try a truck with granny low 1st.
You have 2 options, shift to 2nd, or push the clutch in. I gave you the shift points in another thread, but those are really for accelerating up to speed. When stuck in slow moving traffic it's often best to hit 2nd gear earlier than normal.

It's good that you are learning the "feel" part of driving a stick, that is the key.
There's a third option: release the gas slowly and very steadily. It's perfectly possible to do this in first, I do it in the 5 mph crawls I get in DC all the way home, but my left foot is always ready on the clutch.

Sent from da Nexus 7

·
Registered
86 Posts
Honestly. I just shift into second as I creep along. But Im a noob when it comes to a manual.(Learned on the gfs 8th gen) I will do just about anything possible to not have to take it out of gear in a traffic jam.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Starting and cruising in second gear is always another option for stop and go traffic. I hit my worst stop and go traffic today and experimented with my options. Seemed 2nd was the best all around option for starting and stopping. And using 2nd and clutch depress was the second best. Actually, getting out from behind the knuckleheads driving erratically in stop and go because the cellphone was more important than paying attention was the best option but now I digress.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I always cruise in 2nd when driving 10-20mph in parking lots n such.
I only learned how to drive stick last week.. 1st gear is too rough for me.

·
Registered
281 Posts
A throttle body spacer will reduce this. Felt a difference after I installed mine.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
My TBS didn't do much for the rocking, just helped throttle response. Do you have a tune too?

Oh and turning VSA off seems to help as well. Could be a placebo affect, but I always turn it off and feels smoother.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 19 of 19 Posts