9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Rolling down windows makes speakers pop?

11K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  ZeroTX 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

2012 CBP Sedan. I have an odd issue. It's happened a few times, but I haven't been able to determine a pattern, so I can't exactly reproduce the problem when I want to.

On my way to and from work, I jam out. I have installed a bazooka tube (left over from my old car). Power cable (with fuse)from battery, ground to seat bolt (between the trunk and back seat), remote line to some fuse in the fuse box inside the car (I forget which one right now), and a LOC from the factory sub.

Sometimes, when I'm jamming out, and I go to roll the windows down, the front speakers (all four) will crack, like power drawn from rolling the windows is taken away from the audio. One time when it happened, all 4 front speakers went out, and didn't come back on. After starting the car again (about an hour later), the front speakers worked again. I still get the crackling sound, although the front speakers haven't died again (yet).

I have tried to rule out the sub by:
turning the gain all the way down (on the stock headunit), still cracks
unplugged the RCAs to the sub, still cracks
unplugged the sub completely, still cracks

Anyone else experience this? suggestions?

Thanks fam!

See less See more
#3 ·
Its not odd its very common there's a problem somewhere in the sound system possibly the grounding on the factory amp, and soon to be a recall but you can hear it best at louder volumes such as 24 26 just bear with it till the recall is issued

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#14 ·
Back windows for me too. One a nice day, i'll open the moon roof all the way, and then crack the back windows a tad, and the airflow is perfect. cracking the back windows yesterday and bam, front speakers out. This morning, everything is back to normal. I have to make a trip to the dealership this weekend, and will talk with them about it. I'll post those results next week.

#7 ·
Is this a sedan only thing? I have never heard mine pop like what is being described at all.

#9 ·
Just snap some ferrite beads on the speaker wiring, that will help pull out stray signals and clean up the crackling. I'm a ham radio operator and that's on old electrical trick we use for radio reception, but it works on anything to purify the line.

#12 ·
I heard of this issue and spoke with my honda dealership about this kind of problem. This is usually caused by air pressure while your driving (temperature, wind, weather, speed) the pressure short circuits the speakers which can also lead to a fuse to short out. My 9th gen sedan hasnt had that problem but they said if i did to go right back to the dealer so they can repair it. hope it helps

#15 ·
I have the same problem but with the locks. Car 4dr EX, with upgraded amp (factory) compared to LX. mother has LX and hers does not do it. When leaving ignition on in car and unlocking doors get a serious pop in front speakers. Thought I heard it in the front speakers when driving but blamed the song on, but from reading posts problem same issue. To me it seems a definite ground issue. I installed a remote start and when under the dash saw 2 ground spots with really allot of wires to same ground. To me it seems way to many to have ground to same location, but I'm not an electrical engineer so who am I to say. I will live with it, just turn off ignition before unlocking doors sound gone. If recall comes out will bring it in, otherwise I'm not working on it. Ben there done that on my EF Civic, not going to touch a new car, noway.

#16 ·
I have an Si/EX coupe Premium CD player with aftermarket amp connected directly to the output from CD player. I hear pop when the amp turns on (without engine on). Also hear pop when I turn on headlights. Sometimes I will hear pop when I lock/unlock the door.

#18 ·
I have experience the same issue with a stock audio system with Navi. The speakers makes a popping noise when rolling up and down the windows. Lock and unlocking the door. Anyone find a fix for this issue? I have been back and forth with the dealer ever since purchase date. They wanted me to stop taking the car to different honda dealerships trying to tackle the issue. I personally thing its the head unit.

#20 ·
"There are no noise filters on the power door lock motors." -Interesting, exactly what I said was probably the cause. Looks like the part is $55, and the install is easy.
Condenser Sub Cord (Suppressor Harness) kit (2-door) 06322-TS8-305

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.