9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I own a 2012 civic AT (bought used at 60,000 miles) with 130,000 miles currently. Maintenance history of full transmission fluid flush at 60,000 and 100,000 miles. If I perform the recommended procedure for checking tranny fluid (car is warmed up, parked on level surface, engine off, check within 60-90 sec, etc) the tranny fluid level looks good and is just above the cross hatching approaching the "H" of HOT. Mild discoloration of tranny fluid and is reddish brown as it needs service soon.

Recently I began to notice that if I am coasting between 45-55 mph and I slowly begin to engage the gas pedal I will get a rough transmission shift, similar to a mild bucking sensation. I have also noticed that it most commonly occurs when there is a slight/moderate incline that I am coasting on. When roads vary from 45 mph to 55 mph speed limits it happens more frequently. No issues with the bottom gears, no problems down shifting, no transmission slipping, and no problems with highway driving.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it gear hunting?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, I have experienced something similar, except that I have a 2015, so it has the CVT, not the 5-speed auto. My rough shift usually occurs at a little bit of a lower speed -- maybe 30-45 mph. But just like you said -- coasting to a light, then the light turns green, gently engage the gas pedal, and then a drivetrain jerk. I have not noticed whether it is more likely on an incline or not -- I'll have to check that. It only happens rarely -- maybe once every two weeks or so -- and it's not severe, but it is noticeable, and I have noticed it since I got the car. I bought it used with about 54000 miles, and it has about 71000 miles now.

Maybe our issues are have different causes, but I'm thinking that it's not the transmission. I think that maybe a sensor, such as the throttle position sensor or a speed sensor, is occasionally sending bad data to the computer, causing the transmission to act erratically when that happens -- but this is purely speculation. I do not have any warning lights on.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,208 Posts
There have been reports of the CVT 'hunting' for the right 'gear' (rpm) on occasion. Our 2018 Accord does this. Between that and the turbo lag, I enjoy that car less than I should.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts