9th Gen Civic Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

Registered
People usually say that when someone with an R18 wants to do a regular bolt on setup but slapping a turbo kit on it is a different story only thing is is that a SI for your power goal is just cheaper to do is all.

Registered
Discussion Starter #83
You're a true pioneer, very VERY nice build. I'm looking at a FullRace R18 kit, I have an AT (non-CVT) and am getting a Derale transmission cooler and level 10 torque converter if necessary. FullRace engineers told me that the kit should fit, but the charge piping may need some modification. You are one of the only guys that have turboed a 9th gen r18, do you have any advice? My goals are 200-250whp, 160+wtq. This is a daily that I drive about ~80 miles. If anybody here can help it's you. Thanks.

According to a guy named Nix on another forum the 9th gen r18 has the same 5spd transmission as the Acura RDX, which has 240hp, so I'm thinking with an external cooler ~200whp would be a safe bet. I'm not trying to race anyone, it's mostly tracked. Any information you have would help, thanks.

These Si guys don't seem to understand when they tell everyone to trade in their car. I could get a GTR if I want to (as can many others), but I know I wouldn't even use it to fraction of its potential, which to me, would be a waste. This R18 however, I feel will be utilized very well on a daily basis. It's all about utilization :eek3dancesmiley:
Thanks man I appreciate it. This is my daily as well, you shouldn't have a problem at all with drive-ability my R18 drives like stock out of boost.

I'd do a quick part number check myself, but if you take his word I have a very high confidence level you could achieve a power level of around 240whp with the transmission cooler. Also looking into the RDX it's around 500lbs or more heavier so even less stress on the internals if it truly is the same transmission.

You're going to spend a lot of time making things fit, smaller radiator fans are a must since the space is so tight. I'd focus on cooling first (turbo blanket, bigger radiator, transmission cooler, oil cooler) it seems to be hardest part on this car since the engine bay is so compact.

You also have to keep in mind the MAF has to be connect all the time for the car to run. So you must splice an IAT sensor into the MAF. I put my MAF in a plastic bag and wrapped it in electrical tape so it doesn't get water on it. Hondata has a great write up on it if it you google "Hondata IAT wiring"

You can also run acura RDX 440cc injectors I'm running a GM style injector and my idle isn't as smooth as I'd like when the charging system kicks on and off.

Registered
Discussion Starter #84
People usually say that when someone with an R18 wants to do a regular bolt on setup but slapping a turbo kit on it is a different story only thing is is that a SI for your power goal is just cheaper to do is all.
How can my R18 make max power plz lol

Registered
Couple questions about your build plan.

What are your install plans?
What are your tuning plans?
What do you estimate your total cost as being?

I'm for boosting anything, I had plans to boost a Geo tracker before 08 hit. Just curious as what you've figure it is for the R18 from a "kit".

Registered
Thanks man I appreciate it. This is my daily as well, you shouldn't have a problem at all with drive-ability my R18 drives like stock out of boost.

I'd do a quick part number check myself, but if you take his word I have a very high confidence level you could achieve a power level of around 240whp with the transmission cooler. Also looking into the RDX it's around 500lbs or more heavier so even less stress on the internals if it truly is the same transmission.

You're going to spend a lot of time making things fit, smaller radiator fans are a must since the space is so tight. I'd focus on cooling first (turbo blanket, bigger radiator, transmission cooler, oil cooler) it seems to be hardest part on this car since the engine bay is so compact.

You also have to keep in mind the MAF has to be connect all the time for the car to run. So you must splice an IAT sensor into the MAF. I put my MAF in a plastic bag and wrapped it in electrical tape so it doesn't get water on it. Hondata has a great write up on it if it you google "Hondata IAT wiring"

You can also run acura RDX 440cc injectors I'm running a GM style injector and my idle isn't as smooth as I'd like when the charging system kicks on and off.

Thanks for the information, I have a Weapon R IM and Derale transmission cooler on the way. I'm going with the FullRace kit, but before I pull the trigger, I want to be sure everything will fit. They said I may need to get the charge piping modified a bit (hot parts will fit) so i'm trying to factor that in as well. Do you have any recommendations on an aftermarket radiator and slim fans? I'll definitely be paying attention to the cooling. Also, would you recommend the Deatschwerks fuel pump?

Registered
Not meaning anything bad about the r18 your build and awesome and beautiful. I just back in the day had an em2 and for me to get into the 200+whp range was just too costly for my liking but those motors are crap compared to the r18 so apples to oranges really lol

Registered
Discussion Starter #88
Thanks for the information, I have a Weapon R IM and Derale transmission cooler on the way. I'm going with the FullRace kit, but before I pull the trigger, I want to be sure everything will fit. They said I may need to get the charge piping modified a bit (hot parts will fit) so i'm trying to factor that in as well. Do you have any recommendations on an aftermarket radiator and slim fans? I'll definitely be paying attention to the cooling. Also, would you recommend the Deatschwerks fuel pump?
Yeah fitment will be an issue but you can always make it work. I'd go with Spal slim fans, they are the best on the market. Radiator I went with a Megan racing from a 2011 R18 it's a real dual core raditor. I couldn't find a company that makes a dual core for the 9th gen R18. The listing said it was for a manual R18 only. I think Koyorad makes a radiator for 9th gens check on procivic.com if they still got them in stock. I'm running an aeromotive fuel pump but I'm sure the deatschwerks fuel pump will work just fine.

Not meaning anything bad about the r18 your build and awesome and beautiful. I just back in the day had an em2 and for me to get into the 200+whp range was just too costly for my liking but those motors are crap compared to the r18 so apples to oranges really lol
Yeah you gotta really want N/A power to go down that route.

Registered
Discussion Starter #89
So I've spent the last month re-tuning since I got used to the low end power pretty quick. After I looked into my tune I found out that VTC was never enabled. Now the car feels and sounds ever better than before. Still haven't switched to E yet since it would just be more of a hassle than 91.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

81 - 91 of 91 Posts