9th Gen Civic Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Dude. I was told by the Honda Collision Center that my car had been repainted before when I took it in for the paint warranty some years ago. After fighting with them for a week or two, they finally took measurements and sure enough It hadn't been. It was just the shitty factory paint.
I had as many panels resprayed as I could over the following months but didn't quite get all of them as they weren't "exhibiting checking" per Honda corporate. The trunk and front bumper were the only panels that didn't get sprayed and you can tell. My trunk is horrendous and a pretty good indicator of what the rest of the vehicle would have looked like had it not gotten painted.
The trunk is probably the worst area for mine, you can see how poorly they left the edges, the clear doesn't even go around all the jams on the trunk. This is probably why I would never buy a Red Honda again. They always have the most crusty paint with little to no clear coat left at all. Give my car 2 more years I'm sure that the whole quarter panel will be completely delaminated.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,884 Posts
Dude. I was told by the Honda Collision Center that my car had been repainted before when I took it in for the paint warranty some years ago. After fighting with them for a week or two, they finally took measurements and sure enough It hadn't been. It was just the shitty factory paint.
I had as many panels resprayed as I could over the following months but didn't quite get all of them as they weren't "exhibiting checking" per Honda corporate. The trunk and front bumper were the only panels that didn't get sprayed and you can tell. My trunk is horrendous and a pretty good indicator of what the rest of the vehicle would have looked like had it not gotten painted.
IIRC Honda had known issues with black paint on early 2012's.

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
475 Posts
IIRC Honda had known issues with black paint on early 2012's.
Yep. Not just Black though. So much that they extended the paint warranty to 7 years. I'm having trouble locating all the TSB's that were out on them, but it was a widely spread issue across a number of colors and models.

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
475 Posts
Are you still on stock suspension? I looked real quick in the last few pages but could have missed it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Found the limit of a stock R18 block with a 50 trim turbo. 14psi. Lifted the head while doing a pull. Smoke started pouring out the corner of cylinder 1. Which is the one that has been seeing the most knock counts while tuning. Going to put a gasket on and ARP bolts. I don't see the need to run more than 14psi. Already smoke every car on the street. GG Tesla Model 3 you got gapped but cost me a head gasket.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,884 Posts
GT Turbo. Even has a Dual Clutch transmission. Kinda rips lol.
My neighbour has the exact same model it's pretty nice looks nice too and hatchback so much more functional.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
My neighbour has the exact same model it's pretty nice looks nice too and hatchback so much more functional.
Owner ships speaks well. I wouldn't buy a car as an enthusiast if it didn't deliver. I will admit I never thought Hyundai could make a decent car, but this one puts a huge smile on my face.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Well, I got the Civic tuned back up. I was also experimenting with some 2015 Nissan GTR spark plugs, they are one-step colder 8's instead of 7's, which really improved the throttle response. I set the gap to 0.18 to avoid any issues with spark blowout. I had so many issues before with it before even at 0.21 I would blow out the spark on colder days.

I also noticed the GTR plugs require way less fuel I had to trim out about -7% across my whole tune. I'm also running higher compression since the head was shaved 0.6 thousandths. Not sure what the compression ratio is now, but I feel like I'm making the same power at 12psi that I was making at around 14psi. 5th gear pulls feel way smoother, engine also got the full liquimoly treatment since it is getting older now :(. Really improve the engine IMO.

When I got my car back I did a pull to check the boost, and I was making 16psi! Thank god the engine and head all stayed in one piece. So I guess something was leaking long before my head gasket went out.

Here's my daily again. Like I said before Civic is now my weekend fun toy since it has no A/C and takes forever to warm up. Takes about 20mins of driving to get all the temps up (I'm guilty of hitting boost on a cold engine) Probably why my head gasket got weaker. I commend anyone who has stuck with a Turbo civic daily for 5 years or more. You probably have more time spent turning wrenches, than behind the wheel!

Fellow R18 owners it has been fun pushing this platform. I think I will keep the boost at around 12psi. Just going to enjoy this car till it finally does blow. Then I will switch to a K series. It has been fun little R18. I probably could've switched to a K series one the head gasket let go, but I really don't have the time for a full overhaul of this car just yet. Once I get more money I might just what a stock block can truly handle. Do you think 20psi? 🤣

121 - 136 of 136 Posts