9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Si HFP, with the 18" wheels on 215/40/18. I bought new summer tires and put about 6000km and started hearing a rumbling noise in the tires, tried rotating them didn't change anything. I took a video that you can hear pretty well, ( IMG_0202 - Streamable ). I am sure it is the tires as when I put my winter tires on the sound was gone as I thought it was a bearing at first. I got an alignment about a month ago and my toe was out apparently, so I am not sure if this might have caused uneven wear on the tires or not, but I can't see anything that looks wrong with the tires- they still have basically full tread. Another side note is when I ordered new tires I couldn't find the exact same tires it had on stock (which had 20,000km on them bald, with no noise like this), but the stock tires were 215/40/ZR18 91Y, and these ones are 215/40/R18 89W, I am not sure if the load index would be a factor or if it was just the toe being knocked out.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing and know if fixing the alignment would eventually even out the tread and stop the noise, or am I at a loss basically?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,401 Posts
Car tires are made up of many layers and components. I am just speculating, but something may have separated inside the tire. I would take it to a trusted tire shop for an opinion.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hmmmm this sound kinda reminds me of the sound my 2008 Accord made when I was driving with a bad wheel bearing.... By chance, do you recall hitting a bump/pothole?
Also, does your tires/shop have a warranty/policy on the tires? Might be able to get that taken cared of through that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a quick update on this, I haven't been able to figure it out yet because I can't afford, but when I took it in for a rotation/balance, they told me all tires are showing inside shoulder cupping from suspension or alignment, I had an alignment in March so what should I be looking for in the suspension?

·
I Need A Vacation
13,449 Posts
Hopefully the shop where you bought the tires warranties their work have them remove and Re-balance each tire and while they have the tires off have them examine each wheel to make sure there is no cracks or bends. Also what brand tires did you get? Every tire runs different I've had some noisy tires in the past.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully the shop where you bought the tires warranties their work have them remove and Re-balance each tire and while they have the tires off have them examine each wheel to make sure there is no cracks or bends. Also what brand tires did you get? Every tire runs different I've had some noisy tires in the past.
Just saw this i got BF Goodrich tires, they were 1200 so i am a little disappointed that this happened, I believe the problem is I was an idiot and didn't get an alignment after I got these, and when i got one after the fact I was told the front alignment was out quite a bit so I am guessing that just destroyed the tires. They won't cover that under warranty as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Funky wear will cause rumbles and such. Are the tires directional? If so I would get them all flipped to even the wear out. "Performance" tires are usually louder than an allseason tire.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,449 Posts
Just saw this i got BF Goodrich tires, they were 1200 so i am a little disappointed that this happened, I believe the problem is I was an idiot and didn't get an alignment after I got these, and when i got one after the fact I was told the front alignment was out quite a bit so I am guessing that just destroyed the tires. They won't cover that under warranty as far as I know.
Yeah it's recommended that you get an alignment every time you mount new tires which reminds me I'm overdue for an alignment lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts