9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, very glad to be a new member of this forum; I am now a proud '14 Civic Si owner of one week.

Secondly though, something is driving me crazy:

Short story: I have drips of rusty water centrifuging out from around the Honda logo hub cover in the center of the rim, of the read passenger side wheel. Should I be worried?

Long story:

The evening of the day I purchased the car (1 year old car with less than 10k miles), I noticed a hot/burning rubber smell coming from the rear passenger side tire that got me worried, but the tires, rims and the rotors were similar in temperature on either side. Next morning, I noticed these dried drips of yellow fluid on the outside of the rim centrifuged outwards from behind he Honda hub cover.

I freaked out, and thought it was either bearing grease or brake fluid. But I've been observing brake fluid level and it hasn't changed. Also, the liquid is not greasy at all. After that day though, the smell hasn't returned.

After seeing a fraction of the specks on the driver side rear rim, I concluded that it was trapped water with rust seeping out from the center of the wheel. I also noticed one morning drops on the asphalt in front of that tire, which added assurance to my conclusion.

What has been driving me nuts is that why one wheel in particular? Well, the exhaust is very close to the rear passenger side wheel, which may cause additional condensation inside the hub in a humid environment when cooling down.

Now, my question is:

Is anybody experiencing this problem? Especially driving in the rain or after a day at the car wash?

There seems to be nothing wrong with the ride, as smooth as it can be. Is there anything to be concerned about?

Looking forward to your comments!!

Thank you.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Yes its 100% normal.its the center of rotor face rusting and the morning dew builds up running down your wheels.
You can wirebrush clean.then paint with caliper paint on just the hub.
Done deal.welcome

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the comments! Glad to hear it's normal.

The color of the drip is a solid, mustardy yellow. It's color actually matches the tiny bit of rust I can see where the rim meets the hub.

What concerned me most was the this is pretty much only on the passenger side rear wheel. Nothing on the front wheels and only 1/10th of the amount on the driver side rear. It must be the exhaust right behind the passenger side rear causing different temperature gradients for dew buildup.

More comments welcome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts