9th Gen Civic Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dude, I had the same thing happen to me. I bought a 2013 Civic Si Sedan, Crystal Black Pearl used with only 9000 miles on it when it was only 2 years old (Manufactured Mar 2013, bought used by me April 2015). The black paint was already cracking in areas which I didn't notice until a couple days after I bought the car. Also, while driving to work one morning, I also noticed the sunroof metal lining had two like 1 inch in diameter rust holes in it! I was like, wth! I immediately took it to Honda and they set me up for a paint recall and sunroof warranty. I finally got my car back after 2 months with 90% of it repainted (wherever there was paint cracking so everything except the trunk and bumpers) and a whole new sunroof. Well, just 5 months later I was driving to work with the sunroof open and I did a quick check and there was rust forming AGAIN in the same spot! Right in the center of the metal on the front part of the sunroof! I could not believe it! So my car was still under bumper to bumper for another 3 months so I didn't hesitate to take it back to Honda AGAIN. It was covered under warranty. I told them that this is ridiculous, and I appreciate them replacing the sunroof AGAIN, but I seriously would rather not have to deal with or worry about this issue. Upon inspection of the sunroof and plastic housing, it looks like this time there is a small little 3mm vent hole in the front near where the huge rust spot was that was not in the other two rubber housings. Don't know if they finally fixed the design flaw and this was the fix from the factory or one of the techs at Honda on site read up on it or was told to just cut a small circular slit into now the third rubber housing to allow any moisture to ventilate out. I have no idea. All I know is that I only have 2 months left on the factory warranty, and I'm thinking about just applying wd-40 to the sunroof every month to prevent rust. I had a 95 GS-R in mint condition with not one speck of rust on the sunroof. This is crap. It better not happen again. And, yes, the USDM Civic Si is made in Canada. It was nice that it was covered, but not something I ever want to see in my car not to mention a less than 3 year old one and not twice within a 5 month period.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't have pics, punks, since I already had the sunroof replaced TWICE. After the second time I decided to google it to see if other people were having this issue and if it was a common problem, came across this forum and decided to share my story since it is evident this has happened to others. Why would I make something like that up? **** you. Next time YOU Pricks can come take my car in TWICE for sunroof rust. Actually, I'll go to the dealer and see if I can get the pix. Or ask them if they keep the pics b/c they had to take pix both times in order to clear the warranty repair. **** you! Jag offs.
Snap show. Why so angry?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope all you doubters get rusted out. I'm pissed that I even took the time to try and help and warn that this can happen before the warranty expires (twice in my case). I don't have time to sit around and make something like that up. Good luck.

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
I don't have pics, punks, since I already had the sunroof replaced TWICE. After the second time I decided to google it to see if other people were having this issue and if it was a common problem, came across this forum and decided to share my story since it is evident this has happened to others. Why would I make something like that up? **** you. Next time YOU Pricks can come take my car in TWICE for sunroof rust. Actually, I'll go to the dealer and see if I can get the pix. Or ask them if they keep the pics b/c they had to take pix both times in order to clear the warranty repair. **** you! Jag offs.
LOL, tell 'em!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2012 EX with Navi and Leather last month as a certified vehicle. I love this vehicle except for the small spots of rust on the frame of the sunroof. I did get a 12 month 12000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and the dealer looked at this for me. They found the seal between the car and the sunroof was slightly kinked when it was installed at the factory. The body shop pulled the seal, put a new seal in, sanded and repainted the the frame after eliminating the rust. It doesn't look perfect but not bad.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Below3.jpg
Yup, i just recently had rust fall in my lap when I opened the roof on my 2012 Si with 82k miles. I contacted Honda NA after my dealer said its out of warranty. Honda replaced the entire glass, frame, weatherstrip, etc. as a goodwill gesture. I don't think they have to remove the inner headliner for this, it only took an afternoon to replace. The new roof has a slightly different leading edge to the frame, I think. At least Honda stepped up, as this appears to a common flaw. My dealer did a perfect job.

·
Registered
313 Posts
my sunroof has been replaced under warranty.
the rubber looked odd if u tilted it and put back down but if u slid it open and closed was fine
honda replaced said it was rusted under weather stripping and they dont
fix weather stripping.

my last si had sunroof issues too.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Snap show. Why so angry?
It isn't hard to see why he was pissed. His intentions were good and he, basically got slammed. Don't blame him for his response, although strong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hate to bring an older thread again but can't find much info out there on this issue. All Data doesn't seem to have any info on replacing the sunroof frame which (according to my wife, is what the local Honda dealership says is rusts out). Is there a stickie or a write up on the removal & replacement of the sun/moon roof frame replacement? Since im deployed at the moment the wife contacted the stealership to ask about since her 5 yr warranty just expired on the 25th of march. Both dealership & Honda's coporate office said "no" to any help or coverage. The dealer said that job costs about $5K...after i picked my jaw up off the floor I told her we could fix the roof & LS swap that thing and still have $1K left over lol...I'm a mechanic myself so I have the tools and all that but is there anything crazy Honda's have or do that I might wanna know before I consider buying the OEM frame & seals to do the job when I get back

Thanks guys/gals

·
Registered
731 Posts
It does seem to be the frame that rusts, but they replace everything including the glass. I had it done. I assume you've established that yours is rusted? Once my dealer saud it wasn't covered, I called Honda NA to complain/open a case for a goodwill fix. I explained that the frame must have been rusting for years, including some time when it was still under warranty. I also said that I've owned many cars for hundreds of thousands of miles without ever having a sunroof rust out. Highly disappointed with my Honda purchase, etc., and they relented. Got it fixed for free with 83k miles on the car. Honda stepped up.

I'd call corporate again and say that there's no way this frame rusted out after March 25, when the warranty expired. Keep pushing it up the chain at Honda until they agree with you. It can be done.

Hope this helps, and thank you for your service.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the same issue in same spot. 2015 civic and I belive it was rusted already when I bought it. I noticed when I wash the car the sunroof lifted up a little. My first thought was rust underneath! But was like, no its a new car and never bothered to look and I never open it until recently my wife opened it when she took my car and noticed the rust spot with rust falling out. Took it to dealer and it's past warranty, they took pictures and never followed up with me since. Now I know it's common I'm gonna bug them. Rust don't build up like that right when warranty ends. This should be a recall! Or lemon law since it happen twice to someone else. Thanks for sharing info

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I have a 2015 Honda Civic Si. I bought it new and never noticed this before, but when I open the sunroof I notice thick rust across the front interior frame of the sunroof. I'll have to upload pictures to share, but it would seems it's been building for a while just by the look of how much rust it appears to have. I've never noticed it before. It's not on the outside of the vehicle, but when you are seated inside and open the sunroof, if you look up you can see it. I have a Honda service contract so I'm hoping this is under warranty because I just don't understand how I could have rust on the inside. I did have Honda install a Honda sunroof visor shortly after I bought the car but that shouldn't be an issue.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts