9th Gen Civic Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
I Need A Vacation
13,984 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I have a 2015 Honda Civic Si. I bought it new and never noticed this before, but when I open the sunroof I notice thick rust across the front interior frame of the sunroof. I'll have to upload pictures to share, but it would seems it's been building for a while just by the look of how much rust it appears to have. I've never noticed it before. It's not on the outside of the vehicle, but when you are seated inside and open the sunroof, if you look up you can see it. I have a Honda service contract so I'm hoping this is under warranty because I just don't understand how I could have rust on the inside. I did have Honda install a Honda sunroof visor shortly after I bought the car but that shouldn't be an issue.
How often do you use your sunroof. Where you live can play a part in it as well. I wipe down the inside of the sunroof and the rubber seal every once in a while to keep the seals from drying out other than that I don't use my sunroof much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How often do you use your sunroof. Where you live can play a part in it as well. I wipe down the inside of the sunroof and the rubber seal every once in a while to keep the seals from drying out other than that I don't use my sunroof much.
I use the sunroof every now and then. The car is kept in an outdoor parking lot in NJ.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The frames on the Honda sunroofs are not painted very well to resist corrosion, looks like primer actually.
for cars that live outside and aren't garaged, pools of water gets under the rubber and the rust starts.

my odyssey and acura and civic all were rusty under the seals, so I sprayed the hell out of them with krown t40

its a bit tricky, installed a sheet of cardboard inside the sunroof opening on the inside ( you will have to open sunroof fully to do this), to catch any over spray and not get the headliner or interior with overspay.
Then popped up the sunroof in the tilt position ,and with a pair of nitrile gloves on moved the rubber seal gently around the frame an inch at a time, and sprayed the oil/rust treatment underneath.
You will have to slide the roof panel back a quarter of the way, to get at the rest of the frame in the front and front corners.

wipe up the excess on the paint and glass with a rag, remove the cardboard and glass cleaner your roof panel.
degreaser like awesome orange from dollar tree, wipes out anything you may have accidentally got on the headliner edges.

This has stopped my sunroof frames from rusting any further under the rubber.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I guess I should add that the front corners of the frame from the inside do get rusty as well, and will need to be sprayed from the inside of the car, sunroof partially slid back.

IIRC used a towel to catch the overspray when hitting those rust spots from inside the car.

on the odyssey forum a few folks have changed their sunroof frames due to it rusting out and leaking, and the dealer doesnt have a listing for the part, junk yard or ebay only.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Opened my sunroof today and found this 1inch gunk of rust on the frame of my sunroof. Took it to the dealer immediately. Now the guy says he has to find out if its covered under the warranty. Only had the Si for 5 months.

Anyone else experienced something similar?

Thanks
Yes, except I just realized it a few weeks back. It's pretty bad. By the looks of it, it seems its been developing over quite a long time. I bought the car new in June of 2015 and it has 91k miles on it. I'll be uploading photos shortly. I'll have to see if this is covered through any warranty. I have a Honda service contract up to 120k miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just posted a bunch of photos of the rust on the interior of my sunroof. I just noticed the rust a few weeks back and had another car issue that was more pressing so haven't taken it to the Honda dealership yet but plan to do so on Monday. I bought the car new in 2015. It has ~91k miles. I have to double check any applicable warranties, but I believe all have expired, with the exception of a Honda Care service contract that I have until 120k miles. Although I don't believe the sunroof visor should have anything to do with the interior rust issue, it was installed by a Honda dealership and they are Honda sold accessories. I'm surprised I haven't noticed this earlier, but I use the sunroof all the time, I just don't tend to look up at it while I'm driving...I just press the button to open it. Also, if there isn't light shining on the area (interior sunroof), it actually almost blends in with the rest, so it isn't noticeable unless you're really examining it. The car is parked in an open parking lot in New Jersey.

At this point, I plan on taking it to the dealership, hoping that a warranty covers this. By the looks of the amount of rust, this seems to have been developing over quite some time. I would think the warranty should account for that. I don't understand how this rust developed so badly on the interior of the sunroof. If it isn't covered by any warranty, I'll follow up with some sort of communication to Honda because I don't think that's right. Worst case scenario, I'll need to get an estimate on parts and labor to repair and determine if it's something my dad and I can do at home to save some money. I plan to keep the car long term and I don't want this issue to get any worse.

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
yikes that's pretty bad... water collection on the roof seeping past the seal onto the metal.
its common on all the Honda's esp in the rust belt, if it was "leaking" into the interior while raining, Honda "might" do something, so use that as your approach.
mine was much milder than that, under the rubber was bad though.

alternatively, you could try and find a wrecker replacement, but like I said they are a hard find.

taking the roof panel off is a bitch esp to align, but it looks like you would be better off taking it out removing the seal and going to work on the rust, paint it and rust proof it then reinstall.
would require somewhere indoors to park it while you have it out, or a tarp to cover the car if the weather doesn't cooperate.

The service manual has the removal and install procedures, if you choose that route.
here is the link to it...

·
Registered
25 Posts
yikes that's pretty bad... water collection on the roof seeping past the seal onto the metal.
its common on all the Honda's esp in the rust belt, if it was "leaking" into the interior while raining, Honda "might" do something, so use that as your approach.
mine was much milder than that, under the rubber was bad though.

alternatively, you could try and find a wrecker replacement, but like I said they are a hard find.

taking the roof panel off is a bitch esp to align, but it looks like you would be better off taking it out removing the seal and going to work on the rust, paint it and rust proof it then reinstall.
would require somewhere indoors to park it while you have it out, or a tarp to cover the car if the weather doesn't cooperate.

The service manual has the removal and install procedures, if you choose that route.
here is the link to it...
Thanks for the suggestions. This is helpful.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts