9th Gen Civic Forum banner
181 - 200 of 906 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
"ricer reving" pure gold...might use that in the future.
Haha I don't get it, but its what people want. I am getting too old for this.

I'm surprised you didn't have a dyno done just for comparison. I would assume most people would want the catted version. If the product is as good as advertised, then transparency will make sales a success. Just my opinion.
We had time constraints with the dyno and I am a believer of unbiased dynos. That is why offer rebates for independent testing. From experience catted sales only account for less that 30% of the sales. We've sold 7 catless and 2 catted downpipes so far. That has also been the cause for the TLs, Accords and TSXs we make parts for.

Also, re: resonators; that can be pricey. I spent close to $300 just on the instal of parts to try to quiet my previous exhaust setup on a 1st gen tC. It can end up being a lot more trouble than its worth to add other things to hush the rasp.

what I would be interested in, is a downpipe like yours, with slightly less gain, but with absolutely no rasp. Is there anything in between? 8 whp is worth it. Can it be done?
The resonator only runs $80 and installation shouldn't run more than $50-100. The downpipe does not produce the rasp. It is the free flowing exhaust pulses that cause the exhaust to resonate.

We can dampen the pulses with a resonator or a catalytic converter. A resonator uses perforated tubing surrounded by a baffling material to dampen the pulses without restricting flow. A catalytic converter forces the flow through a honeycomb core which also dampens the pulses but creates a restriction. There is not enough room on the downpipe for a resonator large enough to absorb all the pulses. When choosing a catalytic converter we went with a high flow 200 cell race cat. Just enough to keep things tame without robbing too much power.

Basically the exhaust is like a instrument and you have to tune it to what you want it to sound like at a certain power level. If you want to make more power by increasing the flow of your exhaust then you will have to tune your exhaust to match. If you are looking for sound just get an exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Well put. Thanks for taking the time to post that information!

I might be interested in one of the downpipes in the future if you can special make it with a different cat. ; ). I know that might be more pricey though

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Well put. Thanks for taking the time to post that information!

I might be interested in one of the downpipes in the future if you can special make it with a different cat. ; ). I know that might be more pricey though
If you can keep the core length under 10" we should be able to make it happen.

·
October K24Z7 2012 ROTM Winner
1,236 Posts
You mentioned that the installation shouldn't be no more that $50 to $100 dollars, is this true?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
If you can keep the core length under 10" we should be able to make it happen.
Yes to weld on the resonator. I would looked for a performance oriented shop instead of a muffler shop.

lol mine sound like a piss off bee with crazy rasp,it should be gone once I get UR cat-back with secondary muffler.
Gotta get a something with a resonator.

·
October K24Z7 2012 ROTM Winner
1,236 Posts
I should be done with the DIY by the end of this week, or next week :) So, far I'm loving my catted DP :)

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
great! can't wait!

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Vid-e-o! Vid-e-o! ; )

181 - 200 of 906 Posts