9th Gen Civic Forum banner

861 - 880 of 904 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Anyone here using the RV6 catted version with a stock catback on a 2014 Si? Curious about fit and also what kind of gains you got?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
You're saying I need to get the catted one then? Does the catted one give the same HP gain/sound?
Im extremely pleased with the gains with the catted DP, I've had it four years now. Drove it for 8 months before I got a vit tune.

Are you on Flashpro? Is your secondary o2 sensor turned on?
I've had it vit tuned for three years. The secondary has been turned off in the tune. I just set it back to stock tune for about three weeks to pass emissions.
Anyone here using the RV6 catted version with a stock catback on a 2014 Si? Curious about fit and also what kind of gains you got?
I've had the catted version with stock exhaust. No issues with the fit ever. Never felt the need to run the numbers, but I can assure you the flashpro+DP should be your first upgrade to a 9th gen SI.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ive had the downpipe on for about a month now and have had my cel light come on once. I reset it, and havent had it come back yet......2nd o2 sensor is still functional...

If i sit idling for a while, i do get a whiff of fumes...more so than before the DP

Other than that, the car is way more fun to drive....and sounds good

·
Registered
249 Posts
Are you using any kind of O2 extension?

Ive had the downpipe on for about a month now and have had my cel light come on once. I reset it, and havent had it come back yet......2nd o2 sensor is still functional...

If i sit idling for a while, i do get a whiff of fumes...more so than before the DP

Other than that, the car is way more fun to drive....and sounds good

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I had my RV6 catted hooked up to the stock catback on my 2014 Si for a couple years. Fit was perfect and the sound and gains were great. There's a little rasp until it fully warms up and a weird sound when you turn off the car but both are totally normal. I don't have a baseline dyno pre-install so I'm not really sure how much additional HP I got, but the butt dyno was highly impressed.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Can this be installed without a tune? I have a few things on order that are going to be awhile, but would like to get started. Don't want to start a tune until everything is on.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Can this be installed without a tune? I have a few things on order that are going to be awhile, but would like to get started. Don't want to start a tune until everything is on.
Yes, plenty of guys running around with one without a tune. I plan on installing my catted pipe once I get the car back from the dealer. You won't get maximum gains, but you'll still see gains from just installing a downpipe. I've run catless setups on other platforms for years and have never had a car professionally tuned.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Not sure if I'm remembering this correctly from Vit's thread or not but running a DP without a tune may actually be hurting your performance and not helping it. Several 9thgen mods have been shown to actually cost power / torque in the absence of a tune, and I believe a down pipe is one of them.
An aftermarket downpipe even with the stock tune will make quite a bit more power over stock:

Tested: Full Race Catless Downpipe for 2012+ Civic Si – VitTuned Blog

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just put a catted RV6 on this week, nothing else other than a K&N drop in on the car. Sounds great, not much louder but deeper than stock, has a tiny bit of burble now too. There is a slight rasp when cold on start up but it goes away quick. Had it tuned tonight on a loaded dynojet, made 205/177 with a nice flat torque curve. None of us, including the tuner were expecting to see those numbers but the car feels fantastic.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just put a catted RV6 on this week, nothing else other than a K&N drop in on the car. Sounds great, not much louder but deeper than stock, has a tiny bit of burble now too. There is a slight rasp when cold on start up but it goes away quick. Had it tuned tonight on a loaded dynojet, made 205/177 with a nice flat torque curve. None of us, including the tuner were expecting to see those numbers but the car feels fantastic.
Did you buy it new? Glad to hear that. I'll be doing my install in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Is getting the ceramic coating done highly recommended? I live in Ontario, Canada, we get some harsh winters but the price of getting the rv6 coated I could end up getting the Fullrace or Ktuned 3" dp.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
IMHO, there's no need to be mixing ceramic coating options on a smaller diameter DP with getting a larger one. The first thing should be to figure out what your goals for the car are, and let that decision guide your choice of diameters for the DP. Either go 2.5" or go 3". Then, and only then, decide for yourself if you want / are willing to pay for a ceramic coating. It will keep the heat ever so slightly better which will in turn keep up your exhaust velocity in the rearward direction. Plus it looks really sick, but seriously, you're going to be hard pressed to see this part very often. Mine was coated. I don't regret it.
Are you planning on keeping the car long-term? If not, maybe extra $$ for the coating doesn't make sense. But as I said at the beginning, if what you really want is a 3" DP, say, because you're going FI at some point, then all of this conversation is a moot point. My point being: diameter is a more important choice in the context of your car and your build plan. Worry about that first.

·
Registered
218 Posts
IMHO, there's no need to be mixing ceramic coating options on a smaller diameter DP with getting a larger one. The first thing should be to figure out what your goals for the car are, and let that decision guide your choice of diameters for the DP. Either go 2.5" or go 3". Then, and only then, decide for yourself if you want / are willing to pay for a ceramic coating. It will keep the heat ever so slightly better which will in turn keep up your exhaust velocity in the rearward direction. Plus it looks really sick, but seriously, you're going to be hard pressed to see this part very often. Mine was coated. I don't regret it.
Are you planning on keeping the car long-term? If not, maybe extra $$ for the coating doesn't make sense. But as I said at the beginning, if what you really want is a 3" DP, say, because you're going FI at some point, then all of this conversation is a moot point. My point being: diameter is a more important choice in the context of your car and your build plan. Worry about that first.
I do plan on keeping this car for however long it lasts.

So after going through this site, I think I'm going to settle on getting a catted rv6, paired with my 2.75" N1 exhaust, stock airbox, and maybe get a throttle body spacer. I was going through the 200+whp thread and noticed a member with similar mods making around 212whp which is exactly where i want to be, however his rv6 is catless, so i expect to hopefully make 208-210whp. As for my exhaust, if I get lucky and stumble across a fullrace or ktuned exhaust USED, I might opt to buying one of those. It's winter here so i have plenty of time to chose what exhaust I want to end up with before getting it vittuned.

My original goal was to supercharge but that's so far into to the future haha, but i think my new future goal is to keep this as a daily and get a nice weekend project car, like a 350z or s2k.

·
Registered
249 Posts

So after going through this site, I think I'm going to settle on getting a catted rv6, paired with my 2.75" N1 exhaust, stock airbox, and maybe get a throttle body spacer. I was going through the 200+whp thread and noticed a member with similar mods making around 212whp which is exactly where i want to be, however his rv6 is catless, so i expect to hopefully make 208-210whp. As for my exhaust, if I get lucky and stumble across a fullrace or ktuned exhaust USED, I might opt to buying one of those. It's winter here so i have plenty of time to chose what exhaust I want to end up with before getting it vittuned.

My original goal was to supercharge but that's so far into to the future haha, but i think my new future goal is to keep this as a daily and get a nice weekend project car, like a 350z or s2k.
That must have been one happy dyno to be putting down those numbers at the wheels. Those results are not typical. Going to need a lot more to make 210whp than a catted downpipe, exahust and tb spacer.

·
Registered
437 Posts

IMO ditch the tb spacer, a throttle body closer to the engine will result in a faster throttle response. But then again to each his own.

861 - 880 of 904 Posts