9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Starting off, I already understand that a non-intercooled kit will not be able to run as much boost and thus will not be able to put out as much power as a comparable intercooled kit.

My question is, on a proper tune on low boost (~5-6psi), is a non-intercooled kit just as safe as an intercooled kit? Has anyone ran a non-intercooled kit for an extended period of time?

·
Registered
989 Posts
I know wesenfield or something has one... hopefully he chimes in. From what I've read an heard it's perfectly safe at low boost but me personally, I'd rather have a little more peace of mind.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know wesenfield or something has one... hopefully he chimes in. From what I've read an heard it's perfectly safe at low boost but me personally, I'd rather have a little more peace of mind.
If I do end up going with a non-intercooled setup, I would get an intercooler soon enough. It's just that as a student I'm not too keen on dumping $4000 all at once :icon_sad: But yeah you're right, the peace of mind would be great. Hopefully anyone who's had a setup like this chimes in!

·
Registered
128 Posts
If I do end up going with a non-intercooled setup, I would get an intercooler soon enough. It's just that as a student I'm not too keen on dumping $4000 all at once :icon_sad: But yeah you're right, the peace of mind would be great. Hopefully anyone who's had a setup like this chimes in!
There was a debate about this a while ago, Vit mentioned that he has tuned a few uncooled kits in the past, and the safe boost levels would be 3-4lb with pump gas, not worth it. Will is running E85 which will be cooler, and have a higher octane so you can run up to wastegate pressure with E85. If I were you I'd just wait till you have enough saved up for the turbo kit + intercooler it'll be worth the $4000

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was a debate about this a while ago, Vit mentioned that he has tuned a few uncooled kits in the past, and the safe boost levels would be 3-4lb with pump gas, not worth it. Will is running E85 which will be cooler, and have a higher octane so you can run up to wastegate pressure with E85. If I were you I'd just wait till you have enough saved up for the turbo kit + intercooler it'll be worth the $4000
Thanks for the insight! 3-4psi on California 91 probably wouldn't be worth it. I don't have E85 around me either. Looks like I'll end up just saving up for when I do go for it... Love your IG btw

1 - 5 of 5 Posts