9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my first speeding ticket in my civic, well, first ever. Had a few questions I was wondering if anyone could answer them. First, let me explain the situation. I got a ticket for 80 in a 50 zone. I know I was going probably around 75, but 80 is on the ticket. Still way over the limit. The VC he wrote down was 22350, which is the basic speed law and not reckless driving, so that's good (well, as good as it could be with a 30 over the limit ticket). I go the ticket on east bound Friars Rd, coming from Fashion Valley Mall towards the stadium. I got pulled over a little bit before I reached the shopping center with Costco and Lowes. If any of you are from San Diego, then you know that stretch I was driving on, the average speed is usually around 60-65. I was wondering if anyone would have any idea how much the fine would be and if I would even be eligible to take traffic school so it isn't on my record. This is the first time I have ever been pulled over (well, besides a fix it ticket for my truck literally right in front of my house, burned out headlight that burned out literally 2 minutes before I got home, bad luck). Any help or knowledge would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Idk about SD but I'm in California too. I would guess it's around 4-6 hundred. You can go to court and the judge will lower it and go to traffic school so you won't get a point.

Reactions: Stigmacher

·
Registered
22 Posts
i got traffic school for $350. 87 on a 65 freeway. lol and i'm still not done with my traffic school. been lagging on it. smh

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got a ticket in my SI for speeding, 30mph in a 20 zone. Its 20 from 7-9am and 2-4pm. I drive through this spot everyday at 12:15pm. I went early and wasn't thinking and bammm got me. School zone. All other 20mph school zones have flashing yellow, but not this 1. I pass 4 school zones everyday and this is the only 1 like this. $156 later and I slow down there.

Now, its either 30mph and over, or over 30 and you can't get traffic school. I got a ticket in Placer county and pled no contest and traffic school. As I was talking to the counter to make arrangements, I was called back up and told that because I was 33 over, I could not. I changed my plea to not guilty and fought it. I won the speeding, but lost to crossing a double yellow. It was a broken yellow, and as I was passing, it went double. That was $100 fine. Same ticket in Sacramento county is $100, plus a %150 penalty on all fines, so its not $250, plus if you dont have the moeny and make arrangements, its another $35, plus a $10 night court fee, even when my time was at 8:00am. So about $300 for the same ticket. So yeah, dont get pulled over.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've gotten 3 speeding tickets so far and haven't paid a penny. Just fight it, 9 out of 10 times the cop will not show up. I commute from sdsu to Chula vista everyday and all 3 came from that area haha. But like I said, just fight it in court, the cop will most likely not show up. Now if they do, I would just plead not guilty and ask for the gun reading and the last time the gun was calibrated. Another thing these cops do is pull you over if you look like you're going fast just to fulfill their quota for the month.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've gotten 3 speeding tickets so far and haven't paid a penny. Just fight it, 9 out of 10 times the cop will not show up. I commute from sdsu to Chula vista everyday and all 3 came from that area haha. But like I said, just fight it in court, the cop will most likely not show up. Now if they do, I would just plead not guilty and ask for the gun reading and the last time the gun was calibrated. Another thing these cops do is pull you over if you look like you're going fast just to fulfill their quota for the month.

Were any of them motorcycle cops? The guy that pulled me over was a SDPD motorcycle cop.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Just go to court and plead traffic school. It is the best way out of a ticket on yer record. You can go every few years. Up in oc, we had great comedy school, as I am sure u will be able to go, learn, and enjoy your Saturday. It is kind of like the movie "the breakfast club".

·
Aluminium Member
2,080 Posts
Yeh dude.
Be honest, if you were speeding you were speeding. Just be honest and ask for leniency, it is your first offense.

Reactions: T_Virus

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update on my speeding ticket. Got the citation in the mail. $490 and i'm not eligible for traffic school. Maybe if I go to court and plead to the judge I can get traffic school so my insurance doesn't go up. I just now started going down.

·
Photoshop Masta
3,027 Posts
Update on my speeding ticket. Got the citation in the mail. $490 and i'm not eligible for traffic school. Maybe if I go to court and plead to the judge I can get traffic school so my insurance doesn't go up. I just now started going down.
$490. Ouch.

Why aren't you eligible? Is it cause you were going 30mph over the limit?

I'd suggest you go to court and see if you can get traffic school, ANYTIME you take the time to speak to the judge it pays off, I bet you can even get the fine lowered if you ask, especially since it's your first traffic violation. Give it a shot!

I wouldn't recommend fighting it, cause if you lose, goodbye traffic school and hello $490 fine.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hooooooooly geez...cali is tough and hella expensive! I live in TX and I got a speeding ticket for doing 101 in a 55...luckily the sheriff was nice and only put me down for speeding and not reckless driving. My ticket came out to be only $228...I've gotten other speeding tickets before as well for like 10-15 mph over and they were all under $140..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts