9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I posted this on another forum, but wanted to get people's opinions here.

Last week I scraped my car. I parked my car at a Tim Hortons, pulled the E-break up and when I came out of the Tim Hortons, I saw that the front of my car was up against a curb. I'm already beating myself up for not pulling the E-break all the way up and not putting the car in gear. The left side of my HFP lip got scraped pretty bad. Is this piece made out of plastic? Will it rust? This might be a silly question, but do you think the dealer will fix this under any type of warranty? If not, I'm thinking of getting it repainted at KKT Auto Collision here in Toronto.

Also, on a completely separate note, it looks like there is some paint chips on my side doors. Seeing as how this is a paint issue and nothing that I did, would Honda touch up the paint for me or is this coming out of my own pocket?

What are your thoughts? I've only had the car for two weeks :(

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thats not even that bad, its just plastic. I put my ebrake up about 4 clicks and my car doesn't budge at all, maybe your ebrake needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
362 Posts
lol i ran over a 6 inch curb head on at like 15 mph. i thought the car broke in half but there was zero damage (minor bent rim from the inside but no air leak). i was shocked but it has been fine, i even drove to florida and back with no issues. honda quality ftw, now just bring us the CTR.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Oh thats nothing just get a touch up paint from honda. Besides the scrape is under the lip any u wont even see it when u drvng it lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess your right, I might just try and touch it up myself. It sucks cause I've only had this car for 2 weeks since its left the show room floor. However, it does look like the paint is chippin at the door...i might take it into honda to take a look at that.

·
Registered
300 Posts
That sucks man, touching it up yourself is hard though make sure you do it right! I hit a traffic cone and it crack my bumper a little bit :( ImageUploadedByAG Free1377571782.320501.jpg to the right of the glare.. Now that I see it it looks like I chipped some paint off my fog light housing but I think it must be a reflection, it looks like exposed metal :S

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
I hope your joking?
Really? The bottom of your lip?as in the part close to the ground that's going to get super thrashed anyways by road crap?umm I'd say I feel your pain but that's overboard.
Its the bottom that no one sees and gets beat up by flying road crap.
Just walk away and get over it no big deal.because it really isn't a big deal.
As in no really not a big deal.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would buy some factory match rattle can spray and tape everything off real good and spray it if it is that big of a deal to you but if it can't be seen normally I'd just leave it alone looks like it can't really be seen

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
Oh thats nothing just get a touch up paint from honda. Besides the scrape is under the lip any u wont even see it when u drvng it lol
Yeah your right. But if that was my car even though no one else knows its there, I know its there and that's what matters cause I'm OCD.

·
Registered
15 Posts
OK, I gotta ask: Is this your first car with a manual trans? Why would you ever park it in neutral? Your lip is also made of urethane, standard rattle can paint wont stick for very long. Urethane is obviously flexible, paint needs to be plasticized (like Imron) to be flexible or it will just flake off.
And no the dealer won't cover your damage, they would probably get a good laugh out of your inquiry though? Sorry not trying to be a douche bag here, but like my old man always said: stupid is expensive!

I'm not calling you stupid by the way, just the situation.

·
Baned
8,533 Posts
I always park in neutral and have for the last 7 years. I'd rather replace warped rotors from the warm pads being clamped to them rather than replace the transmission due to the weight of my Si coupe rolling against it before it stops rolling.

Scrapes, dents, dings, cracks, etc are inevitable. Sucks when it happens, but sooner or later it will happen. Like EffBee said, at least your damage wasn't that bad and it was under your bumper where no one but people who change your oil will see it. And you did it yourself by not pulling the e-brake enough instead of some inconsiderate jerk keying your car or throwing up a rock in front of you that punctures your A/C condenser or cracks your windshield.

·
Registered
86 Posts
dude if u think thats bad here check mine out. i think my is worst then your. I put some touch up paint on it and it not that noticable anymore but i still gonna to fix it soon. @EffBee6fromthe209 hey bro u still got that offer u gonna fix it for me for 100-150 buck? i might hit u up soon and drive to merced.
http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/sedan/14926-fml.html

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I always park in neutral and have for the last 7 years. I'd rather replace warped rotors from the warm pads being clamped to them rather than replace the transmission due to the weight of my Si coupe rolling against it before it stops rolling.

Scrapes, dents, dings, cracks, etc are inevitable. Sucks when it happens, but sooner or later it will happen. Like EffBee said, at least your damage wasn't that bad and it was under your bumper where no one but people who change your oil will see it. And you did it yourself by not pulling the e-brake enough instead of some inconsiderate jerk keying your car or throwing up a rock in front of you that punctures your A/C condenser or cracks your windshield.

Same here. I've parked all my cars in neutral with no issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would say if your car rolls away while you're not in it, that's a problem. Not sure where you heard that you will damage your trans by parking in gear, but whoever told you that is an idiot. What if the curb wasn't there to stop your car from rolling?
If you set your brake before taking your foot off the pedal, it wont put any strain on the trans.

·
Registered
300 Posts
This happened to a buddy of mine while he was at the Honda dealership. It was an old 92 hatch but it was fully built perfect condition, in many car shows around here and his e brake didn't hold and it rolled into some lady's car!! Hood fender and bumper damage :( better to use e brake and leave it in gear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Regardless of the nonsense you may have heard, there is NO reason to ever park a car with a manual trans in neutral, EVER.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts