9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've sheered one of the bolts that mounts the shift assembly to the car, and the threads fell out along with the bolt.

Does anyone know what this part would be called? Or am I essentially looking at (JB)welding a M8x1.25 nut on the underside?

Water Liquid Fluid Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Retap the thread. If I recall these are apart of the frame.
It was mounted on the frame somehow above the Cat's heat shield. But at the moment there isn't anything to retap threads into, it's just two sheets of thin aluminum pressed together. I ordered some Heli-Coils with plans to blow the original threads away (there was no saving them with how hard this seized) and tap a larger hole to put a thread insert into.
It is difficult to tell in the picture but the not circled one on the left that is just a hole with black void space behind it is the issue one. The circled one is the one that has no issue, trying to figure out what it is.
My best guess was that it was just a flanged M8 x 1.25 flanged nut welded to the bottom of the shifter mount point.

I was going to just toss a locking washer and nut on it, but there isn't enough thread with the replacement bolts that came with the Krispy Shift Kit... So I'm thinking I'm just going to try the flange nut and some thread lock for now.

Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Rim

You can see better what's going on here with the access hole I drilled to the left of the mount point. (Yeah the hole saw bounced off the heat shield there, just a scratchy dent though.)

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's probably worth mentioning that even if I WANTED to save the original piece to try to retap, it wasn't in the cards.
I drilled out the center of this bolt all the way though, broke several extractors on it... Hit it with the center hole punch to start another pilot hole to drill a second small hole in the bolt trying to get it to crumble on itself... and the hole punch just nocked the whole thread assembly down onto the heat shield.
Still resting on the heat shield for now, I have no way to get the car in the air to get up in there.

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And the name of the game is:
I win!

Motor vehicle Toy Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

Just going to cover the hole I made with a rigid epoxy patch and button everything ese back up.

I ended up threadlocking a flange nut onto the bottom of the front left mount there.

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ty. I only have 3 ton jack stands. I can get the car JUST high enough for me to turn my head, exhale, and slide under...until I hit exhaust, lol.
REALLY didn't want to have to tow for this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts