9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, thanks for the help.

so i want to install the ct eng. shifter adapter but here is what i'm looking at:
  1. i do not know how to remove the console. i can pull the aux door (with two screws under the radio console) off but where to from there?
  2. once i can achieve the #1, where in the world do i go from there.
i hear it's a short job but out of my realm.

question: will this drop the height of the shifter or just shorten the throw?

thanks so much in advance everyone...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Pull up your parking brake lever, grab the console as I have pictured below, and pull up on it. You will also have to remove your shift knob in order to fully remove the console. No need to remove the Aux port panel at all. And all that the adapter is going to do for you is shorten the throw, not the height of the shifter itself.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool spaz...thanks a bunch for this.

if i may, once it console is off, where to from there? what do i unlink, pull apart...i'm as clueless as 10 year old boy at a peep show. i don't have a clue, i'm technically inclined, but this is my first stick car so i've never dealt with bushings, linkage, or anything of the sort.

·
400 Club here I come!
1,660 Posts
Did it come with instructions. Just kidding but seriously does it have any if not that kind of sucks. Should be straight forward after you get that off? Probably see the part you gotta swap out! I haven't done it myself but I am very interested. I may buy that short throw adapter myself.
Would you give a review once you get it installed and rip a round a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks spaz, your input is gnna help me get it in...

n8, i'll sure let you know, but i haven't purchased yet either. i damn sure wnna though...likely i will. i messaged CT and they did say the product comes with instructions. i've read mixed reviews, but i was looking for a how to. i really want a stubby set up - short shift stick look - but TWM has nothing out yet and i don't know anyoe else that might have it......at least that i can find. i did email TWM but they're in EST and im CENTRAL so i just missed them this evening. i'll let y'all know what i find.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't understand the want for a short stick. A short throw is for faster shifts, a short stick seems uncomfortable... I rest my elbow on the center armrest and my hand reaches the shifter perfectly.

I'm guessing if it's 2in shorter or less it wouldn't make a huge difference but meh. Also if you have a water bottle in the cup holder your now shorter shifter would be harder to reach now that the knob is inline with such things.

I think upgraded shifter cables and bushing for smooth shift would be the best mods. Maybe then a short throw adaptor, but never cut down the stick.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i appreciate that quick...but honestly it's just a preference. i know exactly what you mean about water bottles in the way, and resting on the console, but really i like to look more for the trade off. and we all mod what we like because we like the way it looks or feels, this is just another thing for me. same reason i like my black wheels on my white ride, but my lil lady thinks black wheels only look good on black rides. i understand you are only trying to understand the want, but that's what it is...it looks friggin sweet to me. the lower the better ; >

·
Registered
76 Posts
Where can I get a short throw? I want oneeeeeeeeee hahah

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had an adapter on my CRZ and awaiting shipping for my CT adpater for the Si. On the CRZ, once the console was off you can see where the stick ends. Just lift, insert the adpater, screw down with provided fastners and reseat. Your stick will actually be taller by an inch....! But thsi is what makes for shorter throws I believe...
Once you can see the base of the stick it all makes sence. These things can only go on one way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Installed the CT Engineering short shift adapter this weekend. Helpful guidelines below, also considered a half ass, pictureless, DIY but when I was trying to research how to get this done I couldn't find anything. So here is my experience...

The center console surrounding the stick just lifts up with a bit of force. Use the boot to get your fingers in and grab the plastic and pull up, should pop, then carefully pull the rest up. I left this piece connected because I didn’t want to take off that black collar on the shifter. I was able to get the job done without hurting the shift boot or removing the plastic piece.

Once this piece is popped up, undo the clips on the left and right of the very front on the center console. Remove screws holding it in place found under the boot. The center plastic piece that supprounds the ebrake will also pop out like the front piece. Remove that to get to the final screw holing the center console in. I also removed the screws from the back of the console and the cubby thinking if would give me more play.

I removed the small metal bracket that was obstructing the under part of the shift lever. Removed the 2 bolts holding the shifter down.
Lifting the shifter up, with the car in 3rd, Remove the metal or brass clip and rubber cover to expose the plastic coupling nob thing. Using a 13’ opened ended wrench, that I wrapped in a towel for extra protection, and slide it in and pop off the bottom plastic piece. It took some force and I used an additional wrench as a pivot point (Stacked on top if that makes sense) and off it came. I was surprised how much force it took.

Once it was of I snapped it onto the adapter, cleaned off the excess greases from the bottom of the stick and seated the adapter. Slowly tightened the lock nuts (Didn’t use the lock tight they sent with it) and with every turn I would spin the adapter and tighten the opposite one. Did this till it didn’t spin anymore and I was forced to come in from an odd angle to finishing tightening. Once tight I put it all back together.

CT Engineering said there was a plastic piece that had to be broken off or cut for the adapter to work and they even sent a printed pic of a cut piece but this pic was incorrect and did not look like my shift housing. So I said screw it and put it all back together thinking I was going to come to a place where a screw or nut didn’t fit back correctly but it never happened. Everything fit back the way it came out. No cutting or breaking of anything.
Shifting is improved and the throws are shortened. Feels great, very solid and precise. Would recommend this to anyone.

Total time it took me was about an hour because I really took my time as to not damage anything. Hardest part is getting the damn plastic piece off the shift lever, kept feeling like I was going to break it as I was trying to pry it off. I really thing the towel helped to not let the wrench scrape or bend the plastic.

Again, no cutting of anything!! lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bumping this for a question...

If I want to remove just the shift boot, I remove the shift knob then pull up on the boot/trim ring (as shown in the pic in this thread).

That should allow the shift boot to be replaced, correct?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts