9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shifting Problem

This is my first car with a stick shift. i've never grinding a gear . i did ride the clutch quite a few times reving the engine and letting the clutch out too slow while learning.. i learned to fix these problems fast. i only got 410 miles on my si so i might need more practice.

i can't get second gear to shift in smooth. 1st 3rd 4th 5th and 6th all go in pretty smooth. But i always feel a slight pull or jerk with that gear. anyone got any ideas that could help.i'm getting to the point that i wish i bought an auto :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
1st and 2nd gear comparatively need more gas for a smooth shift than 3rd-6th. Even though you may not stall from 1st to 2nd gear like you would from a stop into 1st, you still need to give a little more gas into 2nd gear as you let off the clutch for a smoother shift. I had this same problem when I was first learning to drive standard.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
224 Posts
410 miles on your first MT car? Trial and error my friend, try different techniques and have patience. Experience is the best teacher....

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
When releasing the clutch onto second make sure you release the clutch smoothly and while doing so ease in on the accelerator. Take your time doing this, and eventually the whole process and timing will be second nature.

In a week or two this will all be ironed out, and in a few months you'll be perfect.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What speed/rpm do you shift into 2nd when this happens ?
i usually shift at 3,000 rpms.

410 miles on your first MT car? Trial and error my friend, try different techniques and have patience. Experience is the best teacher....
I understand.. i just don't have the money to replace the clutch so i need to learn before i ruin it.

my main problem is when i ease out the clutch the engine revs up before it's in gear. i herd that's really bad on the clutch.

so give it more gas going into second?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Heel to toe shifting is superb on this car.. :eusa_dance: Youll get the feel for it. You dont have to push the clutch to the floor in this car. The jerky is you need a lil more gas when your releasing the clutch.

·
Registered
224 Posts
i usually shift at 3,000 rpms.

I understand.. i just don't have the money to replace the clutch so i need to learn before i ruin it.

my main problem is when i ease out the clutch the engine revs up before it's in gear. i herd that's really bad on the clutch.

so give it more gas going into second?
I really wouldn't worry about killing your clutch before you're 100% proficient at going through the gears, the oem clutch material is a very hard compound that is made to last beyond extended warranties. Unless you're so bad that your car stinks of burnt clutch all the time I'd just stick to my original advice. Good luck!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really wouldn't worry about killing your clutch before you're 100% proficient at going through the gears, the oem clutch material is a very hard compound that is made to last beyond extended warranties. Unless you're so bad that your car stinks of burnt clutch all the time I'd just stick to my original advice. Good luck!
I believe i have smelled clutch a few times. i really don't know what it smells like it could have been a new car smell (my first new car too lol). I only smell it every now and then if it's even clutch.

i just went out for a drive and i did notice that when i was releasing the clutch with my foot i was doing so at an angle and not straight back with my leg. it did help to smooth it out some when i moved my leg in the same plane as the clutch pedal

·
Registered
224 Posts
The smell of burning clutch is a very strong distinct smell that doesn't quickly go away, the only thing I can really compare it to is the smell of burning brakes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My first stick ..... ive got 800 miles on it already and this is my 7th day driving it lol. i travel 12 miles one way to work and 12 miles back. I decided to drive everywhere the first 4 days to learn it especially in traffic. Within time you'll realise that you need to ride the clutch a little more (barely holding it in) and ease off of it while giving it a little bit of gas to have a better shift transition. Awesome you didnt grind any gears, I have a few times on the highway, but that was me being stupid :p Good luck and watch a few videos for better judgement, all it takes is some more practice, the Si has the easiest clutch i have ever driven.

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
:moved:

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had my Fit for 2 years and could never shift that thing smooth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm actually fine with shifting from 2nd gear upward, I just suck at launching. I think it's because in my first civic I beat the clutch way too much and had to replace it, so in this civic I probably don't give enough gas while still on the clutch. Can anyone tell me how much gas I should be giving to get a good launch and by what RPM should my foot be completely off the clutch? My 2nd -> 3rd -> 4th etc is very smooth, so I seem to be doing that right no matter how high or low RPM I'm shifting, but when it comes to launching I have to admit, I'm a bit of a noob. Don't want to break my clutch so I'm a bit granny about it. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. I'm by no means an expert manual driver, just a somewhat experienced manual driver who has ****** a clutch in the past and doesn't want to again. Thanks :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i got 600 miles on the car now and still can't get second to go in smooth. if i'm doing damage at this point i really dont want to pay a costly repair and might sell it.

1)shifting into second isn't smooth like 4,5,6th or an auto. u can feel the clutch grab. i shift into second at around 3k rpms
2)is it doing damage if this continues

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Allow enough time between your shift from 1st to 2nd for the rpms to drop off a bit and it will feel much smoother.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Allow enough time between your shift from 1st to 2nd for the rpms to drop off a bit and it will feel much smoother.
AND WE HAVE A WINNER. i shift around 3k-3.2 when i shift it jumps up to around 3.3-3.5k and HANGS THERE for a while. if i let it drop it does go in smooth but the amount of time i would have to wait for it to drop it way too long. they really need to fix this asap

shifting in a little hard like that wont hurt anything will it? it's not really hard just not buttery smooth.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
The rev hang seems to vary a bit in my car depending on the rpm range it is in. I noticed that shifting around 4200-4300 is way better in terms of time it takes the rpm's to settle compared to shifting at 3200. Try different shift points in your own car and see if there is a range that exhibits less rev hang. That and learn to be patient when possible since it can take a full second plus to drop the required 1200 rpms or so to get that smooth shift.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts