9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New ss catted ktuned downpipe. Wrap it or let er shine.
*NOT the cat just the 3inch piping.
Any experience or anything to recommend.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Good Call with not wrapping the cat.
As for the rest. it will make a small difference, nothing you will feel.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
It's not a bad idea. Help keep bay temps slightly cooler. Although you can't really see it, I like the wrapped manifold look.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Fair warning - if you wrap your downpipe it will fatigue faster and fail sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fair warning - if you wrap your downpipe it will fatigue faster and fail sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even with t304 stainless steel? Plz explain why this would happen. By failing do you mean cracks and hole? Thanks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Believe it's due to keeping the all of the heat inside the pipe, instead of letting it dissipate underneath the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
941 Posts
I believe the main arguement would be the wrap can hold moisture. I don't think the heat is really an issue. I had my downpipe ceramic coated to help keep the underhood temps down.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe the main arguement would be the wrap can hold moisture. I don't think the heat is really an issue. I had my downpipe ceramic coated to help keep the underhood temps down.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Thanks dpetro, I just read about the wraps trapping moisture over 5 different websites. And it is a risk even with stainless steel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't have a problem with the wrapping in a fiberglass I went to Home Depot and bought fiberglass cloth big sheet shredded would high temperature paint header paint goes up to 1700 degrees some of it I sprayed it with Rust-Oleum Grill paint it goes to 1200 and so far I haven't caught fire tested it out even hit it with a blowtorch big one and already tested my exhaust temperature in my cat too and they get to 1700 at 90 miles per hour I don't have a problem with the fiberglass

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ceramic coating is the way to go. Exhaust wraps can be dangerous. If oil gets on the wrap, it can catch things on fire.
Glad I paid RV6 to ceramic coat then.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd go bare, or ceramic coated personally... I see it as a maintenance issue being avoided. If you wrap it, it'll collect crap over time and you may need to replace the wrap/etc. And *if* it contributes to premature failure... Then you're better off avoiding it. Full disclosure, my first catless downpipe from Fullrace had the O2 bung fatigue and break. I got a replacement from them and they completely redesigned to use a cast portion at the top where the bung is. I guess the point is, even stainless can fatigue and break, no reason to increase the chances of that happening.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts