9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SI Driver's Seat cushion loose?

Just brought it in the for the first oil change and decided to have them check my drivers side seat. This just started recently, but after getting in, sitting down, then shifting my weight, the bottom cushion appears to move (has an upward shift/feel to it). And it's annoying. They checked the track, bushings, etc. and said everything checked out alright, but they noticed the movement too. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Almost feels spring loaded.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Driver seat is much harder than passenger seat. I was letting my friend drive my car and we switched seats and we both noticed the difference in chairs. Friend of mines grandpa, owns an upholstery shop might have it fixed one day.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I had a major issue with my driver's side seat on my first 2012 Si before it got totaled.

On the lower lumber (or lower upper seat back) on the driver's side, when I pressed my lower back against it, or shifted, or came to a stop, it made a plastic popping or clicking sound. I can't think of how else to explain it other than it sounded like the sound of a pressurized jar cap being opened for the first time.

They found a very small part on the center console side bolster that is connected to a plastic piece that goes along the seat back that adjusts to weight pressure.

They wrapped it to silence it and it didn't fix it. They then refused to fix it, citing there was nothing else they could do other than replace the whole seat, which they think Honda would've rejected.

The car got totaled a little bit later, so it didn't end up mattering. I pray that it doesn't do it in my replacement I just bought.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes and now it seems worse after they tried to fix it.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
I feel it in my seat as well, but only when getting in or out of the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I feel like the seat is loose sometimes when I go over a really bad bump when I'm going like 50+.

The passenger seat you can actually move if you push back with your legs. The dealership has claimed that it is the airbag sensor or something.

I'm going to have a different dealership look at next time I get an oil change.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'm afraid of the seat wearing out, never expected to hear this. I haven't noticed it but might later on. :tiny-smiley-violin-

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
I am not too concerned about it wearing out but considered it more of a quirky distraction. Actually I have not noticed it at all lately so maybe it has gotten better with all the miles I put on my car.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had a major issue with my driver's side seat on my first 2012 Si before it got totaled.

On the lower lumber (or lower upper seat back) on the driver's side, when I pressed my lower back against it, or shifted, or came to a stop, it made a plastic popping or clicking sound. I can't think of how else to explain it other than it sounded like the sound of a pressurized jar cap being opened for the first time.

They found a very small part on the center console side bolster that is connected to a plastic piece that goes along the seat back that adjusts to weight pressure.

They wrapped it to silence it and it didn't fix it. They then refused to fix it, citing there was nothing else they could do other than replace the whole seat, which they think Honda would've rejected.

The car got totaled a little bit later, so it didn't end up mattering. I pray that it doesn't do it in my replacement I just bought.
I have the exact issue... it's driving me mental!! I didn't want to complain to the dealer about it because it sounds like I'm nitpicking... but it's becoming more prevalent, and it's starting to really bug me...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have the exact issue... it's driving me mental!! I didn't want to complain to the dealer about it because it sounds like I'm nitpicking... but it's becoming more prevalent, and it's starting to really bug me...
Have you been able to get them to replicate it? The dealership I used to go to replicated it after a few visits, but said there was nothing that could be done - they tried to insulate the "part" so it didn't pop or click, but it came right back. They promised me the next step was to replace the seat, but then tried telling me that Honda wouldn't approve it for such a minor concern.

That kind of thinking is why Honda's image is slipping. There is no excuse for things coming undone this quickly in a brand new car. Knock on wood, the Si I replaced with another Si hasn't had the issue, but you can bet I'm raising hell for every little issue that occurs. I may not drive a Lexus, but I do drive a Honda - and that used to mean something.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Have you been able to get them to replicate it? The dealership I used to go to replicated it after a few visits, but said there was nothing that could be done - they tried to insulate the "part" so it didn't pop or click, but it came right back. They promised me the next step was to replace the seat, but then tried telling me that Honda wouldn't approve it for such a minor concern.

That kind of thinking is why Honda's image is slipping. There is no excuse for things coming undone this quickly in a brand new car. Knock on wood, the Si I replaced with another Si hasn't had the issue, but you can bet I'm raising hell for every little issue that occurs. I may not drive a Lexus, but I do drive a Honda - and that used to mean something.
You should go back and explain to them that this shift in the seat may interfere with my shifting capabilities while driving, which may put yourself at risk for a wreck (injury or even death). I'm sure they'll replace your seat. :)

·
Registered
247 Posts

I agree 100%. It's an issue that shouldn't be an issue... it's a brand new car... it's under warranty, & it should be fixed... I don't care if it's a Lada or a Lamborghini. lol

I'm taking it into the dealer this week if I have time... work is really busy at the moment.

·
Registered
247 Posts

I had the dealer inspect it today... they are not even going to try and fix it... they ordered a new seat frame... of course, it's on back-order. So my car has about 5000mi on it, this seat issue, and I've already had the steering axle replaced under warranty! I hope all the bugs get worked out before it expires!

On a side note... a good service department makes all the difference in the world. I can live with these "flukes" as long as the dealer wants to make it right.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It sounds like a couple of dealers didnt even want to try to warranty it because Honda 'might not' approve it. That's the sign of a lazy dealer right there. It's making Honda's image bad when really it's the dealers fault.

·
Registered
182 Posts

My seat does this too! I thought i was the only one. When i get in it makes a little pop sound like im too heavy lol...kinda sucks

·
Registered
247 Posts
My seat does this too! I thought i was the only one. When i get in it makes a little pop sound like im too heavy lol...kinda sucks
lol it's not a weight issue! (I'd like to see the dealer try and pull that one!) I'm a whopping 135lbs.

I think this is gonna be one of those common issues... I never really cared for the seats... looked cheap to me... this simply confirms it. Take it in, get it fixed, its annoying, & it's the least Honda can do for cheapening out.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts