9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
You should be changing your tranny oil at the same time as engine oil, tranny oil takes more punishment. Engine oil has the luxury of flowing through the motor instead of boiling in place :p

VEEETEHHHH CLUB!

I'm at 30k miles on my car and have changed my tranny oil 4-5 times already with engine oil, but I do track and autoX my car and prefer royal purple with a denso oil filter.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I do it twice per year. Before and after winter... That OE oil is uber cheap if you're into that stuff and i've seen far too many cars broken down due to too little maintenance done, i've yet to see one that's broken due to being serviced too frequently.

Marko!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,206 Posts
I do it twice per year. Before and after winter... That OE oil is uber cheap if you're into that stuff and i've seen far too many cars broken down due to too little maintenance done, i've yet to see one that's broken due to being serviced too frequently.

Marko!
Assuming the service interval is 30k miles, unless you're doing 60k miles/year, that is a total waste of time and money. Over-maintaining doesn't win you any brownie points with the car gods. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I am fortunate with timing. It's been around 25K miles since last drain and fill, and I ran the car HARD at a track event last weekend. I'll post pics of the drain plug magnet after changing.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,206 Posts
Competition completely changes the equation, and, in fact, voids most, if not all, warranty claims.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Glad I came across this, I'm at 197XX miles, I'll do it at 20K
Just did this today, 20,080 miles

I am fortunate with timing. It's been around 25K miles since last drain and fill,
and I ran the car HARD at a track event last weekend. I'll post pics of the drain plug magnet after changing.
Ever take pics of your magnet?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just did mine today and a engine oil change after owning the car for 1,500miles. Used Honda MTF. 12' Si.

Wow the old stuff that came out was pretty dark in comparison to the new fluid. it has 45k miles on it. Hoping it improves shifting going to test drive it shortly and find out.

Even the Drain bolt end was BLACK... I wiped down everything and re-installed.

Dont know if the previous owner even did it once... I bought it 2 months ago from a Honda Dealer.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just hit 40k Miles and I've already changed the transmission fluid a few times since I purchase brand new. First time I used OEM honda stuff but this last change I used Amsoil manual transmission fluid and I've really liked it now. During really hot sessions it holds up a bit better but yea every 20k is the max you want to go. Transmission fluid just boils in place, unlike engine oil which has the luxury of being pressurized and filtered and cleaned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is Honda MTF adequate in this platform or any recommendations on alternatives? Most of service has always been done at dealership but may try it myself for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
895 Posts
Assuming the service interval is 30k miles, unless you're doing 60k miles/year, that is a total waste of time and money. Over-maintaining doesn't win you any brownie points with the car gods. ;)
I putting more or less 35k miles\year on the car and i can be hard on the car during summer (track season) and i suppose Winter and heat cycles are hard on the fluid because when i change the oil i'm getting the occasional gear clash. Fresh fluid cures the problem completely until next time.

boils??? come on now.
Ever heard of a gearbox and differential cooler? Abuse a car for long enough and oil will boil. Litterally!

Marko!

·
Registered
28 Posts
oil changed 300 miles later. Feels the exact same. No difference at all.

My 12' has a much more mechanical feel to it than my 8th gen Si. It makes a slight "thud" when shifting into gear. Not all the time either. and mostly happens shifting 1-2 or 3-4.

My mustang does something similar as well.

Oh well. I'm sure its fine. Just need to get used to it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts