9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2013 Si sedan back in February (my 1st car ever) and have added a few mods and i absolutely love the car. My question is do we have anything special? In today's time all the other compact sports cars have turbo engines making a lot more HP and torque than our Si's. I know we have I-Vtec but my knowledge is limited on how it's actually working since our torque peaks before the actual crossover. As you can tell I'm fairly new and would like so information about our car and what makes them special (engine, history, etc.?) in today's market of sports cars. If I were to rev my engine up at a red light would I be respected or laughed at?

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
We don't drive a sports car we drive a sport compact. Revving at a redlight stock isn't going to make anyone think anything other than you think too much of your car. Yes it is quick for a Civic... but it is still a Civic.

Honda has a great legacy of making DURABLE high output N/A small engine cars. Keep in mind many cars making the same kind of HP as us are using turbos and are significantly less reliable. Most engines will not handle 500 HP on stock internals the way ours will.

What is special is the reliability. You will not find that with an Audi, VW, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Mazda or BMW. Ford is the only company that has even come close and their non-mustang cars still lack thought and design practicality.

Try driving a handful of competitors and you'll get a better feel for why the Si is special. The Gti handles like a boat, the FRS lacks refinement and practicality, the Focus ST handles poorly and has some bad design decisions. The Si represents an excellent balance of budget and performance that is difficult to find in the price range. Parts are inexpensive and mods are easy.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The Fastest Cars on the Side of the Road

We don't drive a sports car we drive a sport compact. Revving at a redlight stock isn't going to make anyone think anything other than you think too much of your car. Yes it is quick for a Civic... but it is still a Civic.

Honda has a great legacy of making DURABLE high output N/A small engine cars. Keep in mind many cars making the same kind of HP as us are using turbos and are significantly less reliable. Most engines will not handle 500 HP on stock internals the way ours will.

What is special is the reliability. You will not find that with an Audi, VW, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Mazda or BMW. Ford is the only company that has even come close and their non-mustang cars still lack thought and design practicality.

Try driving a handful of competitors and you'll get a better feel for why the Si is special. The Gti handles like a boat, the FRS lacks refinement and practicality, the Focus ST handles poorly and has some bad design decisions. The Si represents an excellent balance of budget and performance that is difficult to find in the price range. Parts are inexpensive and mods are easy.
Well said Skrub! In re: reliability, my observation in driving around the highways and byways, is that the Audi and BMW are the fastest cars on the side of the road!

And, as for your comment re: our cars being a sports compact; speak for yourself! Maybe stock, but with a healthy serving of bolt-on mods and some driving skills, the Si can become a beast! NOTE: poor analogy previous - it can become a ninja - strikes fast and disappears!

·
Registered
487 Posts

X3...

·
Registered
571 Posts
Skrub x4

This car has an excellent balance of power, handling, options, styling, brand longevity, resale value, etc. It is not the best at any one of this by itself but as a package it beats out a LOT of cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your clarification, I've never driven any of the competors so I don't have anything to go by except for HP and torque numbers. But from your explanation seems like I made the right choice.

Thanks

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
Thanks for your clarification, I've never driven any of the competors so I don't have anything to go by except for HP and torque numbers. But from your explanation seems like I made the right choice.

Thanks
If you're going to pay attention to HP and torque remember weight is also extremely important. 200 hp in a 2700 lb car is not the same as 200 hp in a 3000 lb car.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Your asking a forum full of honda owners if their honda is special :p

what kind of response did you expect?

to anser your question; no. There is a reason the civic si isnt selling well... We will see if honda scraps the 9th this year or next, but its not going to be a long production run. Ill keep mine for many years to come however, honda does make their cars reliable :)

and to the haters... There is such a thing as a reliable turbo... This isnt the 1990's anymore.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Nah, we don't have anything special, just reliable and fun. There are lots and lots of cars out there which are much better than the Si in regards to performance, but a good majority of them are not nearly as reliable.

And Skrub, I couldn't agree more.

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts

to anser your question; no. There is a reason the civic si isnt selling well... We will see if honda scraps the 9th this year or next, but its not going to be a long production run. Ill keep mine for many years to come however, honda does make their cars reliable :)

and to the haters... There is such a thing as a reliable turbo... This isnt the 1990's anymore.
Do you really have to bring this rhetoric to every topic you come into? lol

The Si doesn't sell well because the primary demographic for it doesn't know how to drive stick anymore, people are more concerned with fuel efficiency, and gizmos and gadgets win over reviewers. The Si represents values from years gone by and doesn't quite jive with the current market. Sports car drivers pass it over for RWD or AWD cars, economy car drivers pass it over for base models or cheaper vehicles.
The market is a pretty small niche since they must:
- Want some fuel efficiency but not be overly concerned with it
- Want a quick car but not a fast car
- Be able to drive manual
- Not be concerned with luxury
- Want FWD over RWD

That isn't a big segment that wants something in the middle rather than any particular extreme.

·
Registered
725 Posts
If you're going to pay attention to HP and torque remember weight is also extremely important. 200 hp in a 2700 lb car is not the same as 200 hp in a 3000 lb car.
When I do the calcualtion, the power to weight ratio comes out to .75.

·
Registered
101 Posts

IIRC, the 9th gen is set to be produced through the 2017 model year.

Do you really have to bring this rhetoric to every topic you come into? lol

The Si doesn't sell well because the primary demographic for it doesn't know how to drive stick anymore, people are more concerned with fuel efficiency, and gizmos and gadgets win over reviewers. The Si represents values from years gone by and doesn't quite jive with the current market. Sports car drivers pass it over for RWD or AWD cars, economy car drivers pass it over for base models or cheaper vehicles.
The market is a pretty small niche since they must:
- Want some fuel efficiency but not be overly concerned with it
- Want a quick car but not a fast car
- Be able to drive manual
- Not be concerned with luxury
- Want FWD over RWD

That isn't a big segment that wants something in the middle rather than any particular extreme.
This post hits the nail on the head. I don't think Honda expected much more sales out of the 9th gen Si than they are getting. Not only has the demographic shrunk, new Si's are generally too expensive for the people who would want them most (younger people, not necessarily that they can't buy them, but they often don't want to spend that much of their paychecks on car payments)... this is why people are still modding 5th and 6th gens (they are inexpensive and lighter/more basic). I for one was tired of driving a 15+ year old car, and wanted a sporty new Civic... I also wanted the latest tech and was comfortable with the payments... so I bought the 9th gen Si.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
We have one of the best naturally aspired engines from the factory that money can buy for it's price range. You look at all of those other cars that have turbos and junk don't put out much more than our Si's so just think of it this way. What happens if we put a turbo in our car? I think it's safe to say that we would would smoke them any time of the day. That is if we are comparing apple's to apple's like fwd compared to fwd not fwd vs rwd/awd

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Depends....cause sometimes i leak!!
256 Posts
Everybody have a valid point. The Si has the best naturally aspired engine made in it's class. The reliability is top notch. A reliable Si with a reliable turbo setup, proper tune, & the necessary supporting mods for a turbo setup can be a major contender regardless of the drive train. You got a legitament reliable beast on your hands. Patience is a virtue. I have a 13' Si sedan. Nothing has really came out yet for it & i'm not jumping at the first thing that comes out. It gives me time to plan & modify correctly. I also have a 92' Eagle Talon Tsi Awd Turbo. It comes turboed. It's not reliable by any means. It get 210 awhp stock. Not much difference in hp next to a naturally aspired engine even though it's a 2.0L. It's receiving a whole engine swap at the moment but I said all that to say if you want a beast that's reliable & You want it to contend with beasts like the Evo, Subie etc... Build it. The K24z7 platform is second to none. The Si as a whole; you can't have a better foundation. You made the right choice. If your happy with it stay that way. If you want it even more special spend the money for the necessary mods, turbo setup & tune but when you do it; do it right the first time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The Civic, while panned by critics, has sold well for Honda since its introduction. 250,000 units last year isn't poor sales.

While the Si in particular isn't viewed by many as special, owners can appreciate the car for what it is. In the past 10 years I've owned 2 Nissans, 2 Toyotas, a Chevy, a Ford, 2 Hondas, and an Acura. When I began looking for a new car after selling my 2011 F150, I looked at many compatible and many "superior" cars. I wasn't bound by a specific price point but I had a set of criteria that eventually led me to purchase my Si.

While many cars I looked at had in the class segment had more power (Speed3, GTI/GLI, Focus ST, Cooper S), were cheaper (Scion TC), were AWD+more power (STi, TL SH-AWD, G37x, Golf R, 335ix, GS350 AWD), or RWD (BRZ/FR-S, Mustang GT, Camaro SS) the Si had the best balance of all the things that I personally value: Reliability, good aftermarket support, styling, upgrade potential, resale (since I change cars frequently), and overall daily "fun factor." As a package the Si delivers what I value. Sure there are faster, better handling, or more tuner friendly options out there but not for what I wanted. The Si has plenty of potential to become a more sport focus car than how it was released from Honda; it just takes a little bit of personal customization to get there.

Enjoy what you have, spend some time and money improving things you want to change and don't look back.

ps: I'm still hoping Honda will bring us the Civic Type R that they planning for the euro market. Until then I foresee a supercharger in my future.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts