9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 561 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone driving one of these care to chime in with their experience?

"In fact, our only serious beef with the new engine is its considerable overrun when the throttle is suddenly dropped. Among other things, that makes for very little initial engine braking, and the revs sometimes take a couple of seconds to return to idle" - caranddriver

Sounds painful.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Anyone driving one of these care to chime in with their experience?

"In fact, our only serious beef with the new engine is its considerable overrun when the throttle is suddenly dropped. Among other things, that makes for very little initial engine braking, and the revs sometimes take a couple of seconds to return to idle" - caranddriver

Sounds painful.
Sounds like the same trouble they had with gen8 SI's .

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hmm the Japanese engineer had said they corrected all these issues, no doubt it shouldn't be as bad as before, but I would frown upon this artificial rev that sounds like your riding the clutch.

·
Registered
312 Posts
2012 Civic Si Rev Hang!!

Hey Folks..

Been driving my car for a couple weeks now and have over 1000km on it. I've noticed the rev hang is atrocious.

Today I made an official complaint with my local Honda service department and requested they kick it up to the next level. I'd recommend all you other Si owners do as well so Honda will get off their butts and come up with a PCM update to correct this.. otherwise we will have to wait for Hondata to come up with a setup.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Its all about emissions these days unfortunately - the rev hang is likely intentional and I don't see Honda undoing this. Personally, I hate every bit of it... but it looks like we'll have to wait for Hondata to fix it. Seems like just about every new car out there has a bit of this programmed in for emissions.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was wondering about the rev hang, I thought it was just me, last standard I had was a 86 fiero gt lol. I just assumed it was because it was a newer engine that it would do that. It would be great if we ca get ride of it though I do find it kind of annoying.

·
Registered
794 Posts
^ Hmm, idk I've read across the web many views on this, some say (reputable people btw mag reviewers, ToV, etc.) Honda nearly got rid of it, others are saying it's not as bad, while some are saying worse.

Would it be possible for you to take a video of it to show us? (This is like 2006 all over again lol)

·
Registered
224 Posts
yes i noticed this too. i previously drove a 2008 si sedan and it was not even close to the 2012 si coupe that i have now. first i thought it was the way i was driving it but after 3 weeks i should have it figured out and i still notice it allllll the time. my 08 did have a aftermarket clutch though, would this make any difference and reduce the rev hang?

·
Registered
794 Posts
^ no the rev hang is conpletely the work of Honda's Drive-By-Wire throttle system and the ECU. I'm sure they'll tweak it later, once people start complaining again lol.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Who likes rev hang??

Is it possible to drive around town in a Si with rev-hang...and be cool??LOL Sign me up for a Flash Pro...Hondata!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have no idea what this means...LOL you mean you are just constant redlining???

Just means that revs do not go down as quickly as the went up, they just sort of stay, "hang" up there for a second.

1 - 20 of 561 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.