9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The morning temps in Nashville have been dipping into the 50's the past few days. I've been noticing a rattling noise from the engine around 2,500-3,000RPM when the engine is cold. Sounds like valvetrain noise (valves?) and is very noticable. Once the engine is warm, the noise goes away. Anybody else notice this? Is it normal for the K24? My Mazda 4 cylinder did this too, but was less noticeable. Even though I am a new manual driver, I don't think I over-revved the engine enough to cause any damage, and if I had, the noise would happen all the time. Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? I'm a bit concerned about this noise and wondering if I should pay the dealer a visit.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
You mentioned that it happens when the engine is cold. Describe your warm up routine.

·
Registered
365 Posts
No nothing to worry about. Was brought up in a thread a long long time ago when guy's engines were brand new. Mine does it too. If this is your first civic its prob new to you. I didn't know Honda has a rep for noisy valves either,but nothing to worry about

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,763 Posts
Mine makes a little more noise when cold that goes away when hot. I think it has to do with the oil that we use.

I did over-rev my car to 8500-9000 rpms back about 10,000 miles back. But, the car doesn't burn oil, runs smooth, shifts smooth, etc. It makes a little bit more noise when cold. I just sit in it and let it warm up for a few minutes before I go down the road 'cause it's quiet and purrs as much as a 4-banger can once it gets warmed up.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You mentioned that it happens when the engine is cold. Describe your warm up routine.
Let it idle until the RPMs drop and level out and keep it under 3,500 RPM until the engine is at operating temp. I only really notice it on the first drive after the car has been sitting overnight. I think it has always done it, but now that the overnight temps are getting cooler, it seems more pronounced.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,763 Posts
Let it idle until the RPMs drop and level out and keep it under 3,500 RPM until the engine is at operating temp. I only really notice it on the first drive after the car has been sitting overnight. I think it has always done it, but now that the overnight temps are getting cooler, it seems more pronounced.
Yeah. Sounds familiar.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Sounds normal enough and that is how I warm mine up most of the time unless it is butt ugly cold. I try to time it so that during initial cold start warm up the blue light goes off before I get into third gear. Never going over about 3500 rpms before light goes off. Usually try to drive mellow for the first five minutes or so before thrashing on it at all.

A real gauge would be nice. It is the only part of the 8th Gen dash instrumentation that I notice is "missing" on my new Si.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed. A real temp gauge would be nice. The "Cold" light seems to go off before the engine reaches what I would think is operating temperature. The noise I hear has quieted down to almost un-noticeable by the time the light goes off, though.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I believe it is piston slap, not valve noise and I hear it too. Not really anything to worry about. Just wait until its a little warm before getting on the throttle.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone appo

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Several Issues with my Si

I was hoping to stay away from the service department for anything but oil changes for a bit longer, but looks like I'll be making an appointment to have some things looked at on my Si. First is the vibrations at highway speeds. Feels like an out of balance wheel, but had the balance checked. It seems like it could be hub or axle related. Also notice an on and off "whirring" noise, possibly from the transmission area while off the gas and coasting, or with light throttle on slight down grade. Second is a "whirring" noise from the left side of the engine. Sounds like the drive belt or a pulley making a constant noise at idle or at speed when the RPM is under 3k. I've noticed some black residue near the belt and on the front engine mount, maybe that's related? Thirdly, I'm getting a lot of popping noises from the suspension after shutting the car down. I hear 1-3 loud "boing" or "thunk" noises, kind of a noise a large spring would make if you struck it with something metal. Only does it after a long drive and/or during warm weather.

I was very pleased with the car when I got it and learned to shift smooth in it, but these little issues, along with the road/wind noise and other minor annoyances, make me dislike the car more and more. Really considering taking the hit and trading it on an '13 EX-L Accord. I just don't think I'd be happy with the Si as my DD for the next 6-7+ years.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
My P5 creaked and popped for nearly two years after being driven and parked. It was various pieces of the exhaust system shrinking from heat disapation while things cooled down. Even ten years later it will still make very subtle whoosing and gurgling sounds as the cooling system siphons coolant back into the engine and radiator. The car doesn't make those sorts of noises whilst being driven though.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The "bong " and "thunk" noises seem centered around the front suspension. I am familiar with the normal exhaust cool-down noises and this is definitely not exhaust related. Seems like it's coming from the coil springs to me.

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
The "bong " and "thunk" noises seem centered around the front suspension. I am familiar with the normal exhaust cool-down noises and this is definitely not exhaust related. Seems like it's coming from the coil springs to me.
This sounds familiar.. Someone else definitely mentioned this before...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This sounds familiar.. Someone else definitely mentioned this before...
I think I posted about it a while ago and someone mentioned that every Civic they had owned did this. I still don't think it's normal. It's noticeable enough that if it was "normal" we'd see a lot more posts about this noise.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts