9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello im new to this forum and I know that the si and tsx share the same engine ( my dad has an 06 TSX) but I was wondering what else do they share. I love the way my dads car drives. And was wondering if the si is comparable. Though I didn't drive his car much with the stock suspension does the throttle response and clutch feel similar? Do they share the same transmission minus the LSD? In little under a year im really considering getting the new Si. I was looking at the new speed3 but after hearing about how the fuel pump can fail with just an intake I decided to look at something that can take mods without craping out on me. Thanks in advance.

-Nick

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you want to get a 4 banger go for the civic if you want more power go for the V-6 TSX

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
V6 would be nice but it's not really what I want.

·
Registered
471 Posts
V6 would be nice but it's not really what I want.
Well then go for the SI not sure what the price difference is though. And I get pretty good mileage with my civic si i get about 26-28 85% city 15% highway

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thats not bad at all.
No it's not and all of my friends don't realize how fast it is so it's fun seeing the surprise on peoples faces when i beat their cars. priceless

·
Registered
25 Posts
Curious:

What cars have you beaten? I've noticed it's OKAY speed wise.. But this thing really can't beat anything that's "sporty"... Maybe regular sedans..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Depends what you're looking for. The Civic Si is lighter, and though it's more refined than the previous generation, it's more raw and alive than the Acura. the TSX has a double wishbone suspension, which in theory is superior, but it's a larger and heavier car, tuned more towards refined sportiness. Think of it as a more grown up version of the Si.

If you're looking strictly at performance, get the Si.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
they are both good cars but price wise if you dont want to spend too much then i would suggest the SI compared to the TSX cause you will always spend more on the acura anyway just for the name, the TSX has the V-6(which would be much more expensive) and it also has the 4 banger too which is the engine thats in the SI with same power, the only difference is for the SI you will have to put in premium where as the TSX only takes regular. but like mauibuilt2003 said it all depends on your preference to sporty or a luxury style sporty

·
Registered
471 Posts
Curious:

What cars have you beaten? I've noticed it's OKAY speed wise.. But this thing really can't beat anything that's "sporty"... Maybe regular sedans..
Not saying i've stomped boss 302's but I take down moderately fast cars like v-6 mustangs. Even my friends v8 mach 1 mustang but that's only because he doesn't know how to launch, lol. Not saying this thing is blue lighting but it's pretty damn fast for a civic, and capable of a lot more.

Reactions: stough77

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the info. i definitely want a sporty feel to the car. is the transmission the same as the TSX? i absolutely love how the tsx feels while shifting.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My dad has a 2010 TSX and I can tell you the Si is a totally different car. Even though it is pretty much the same engine, they behave very differently. You wouldn't be able to tell its the same engine because they sound very different. The TSX is muted and only sounds nice above 5k. The Si sounds much nicer and louder.

Now to the main difference, handling! The TSX is almost 500lbs heavier and you can feel it everywhere. It does not like being tossed around and feels almost nervous at high speeds. The Si is a gem in the handling department. It loves being thrown around and feels so planted at speed.

Bottom line is if you want an excellent, high quality, luxurious car to just cruise around in, get the TSX. If you want something much sportier and don't really care about "luxury", Si wins hands down.

·
Registered
362 Posts
And yes, the 6 speed manual is the same, other than the TSX having a magnesium case to save weight. The Si has LSD though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. my dads 06 tsx is slightly modded so i guess im going to have to test drive an si to really find out. thanks everyone.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Its sounds like you answered your own question. Go with the Si. I love mine, better gas mileage than the V6. My brother has an 8th gen Si and he drove mine and said its already at the same level as his car is with mods! My si is bone stock..The bigger engine and the higher torque make it that much better.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I honestly never even wanted an si until I heard about them putting the 2.4 in it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
they are both good cars but price wise if you dont want to spend too much then i would suggest the SI compared to the TSX cause you will always spend more on the acura anyway just for the name, the TSX has the V-6(which would be much more expensive) and it also has the 4 banger too which is the engine thats in the SI with same power, the only difference is for the SI you will have to put in premium where as the TSX only takes regular. but like mauibuilt2003 said it all depends on your preference to sporty or a luxury style sporty
Octane - TSX 4-Cyl & TSX SW
Customers who choose to use Regular gasoline should expect reductions in power, performance and fuel economy.
So it is not recommended.
Octane - RL, TL, TSX V-6, ZDX, MDX, RDX
Using gasoline with an octane lower than 91 octane may cause damage to the engine. Please consult the owner's manual for details.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The TSX 6-speed is a lot different from the SI. The SI has a kind of alertness about it, with noise and constant feedback from the suspension. The TSX is more of a comfortable sedan with a certain althletic quality. The TSX consistently suprises you at how well it takes curves, but the basic ride is quiet and fairly serene (except with highway noise) its almost boring. It does not give you the feedback of the SI, but behaves well if you push it. A very different driving experiences.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the feed back guy and gals. The people here seem very nice unlike some forums I've been on.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts