9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 2015 Civic Si Coupe and I have been reading a lot of forums to find out about playing video while vehicle is in motion. Nobody seems to have a solution to this. I had a thought that I wanted to get some input on. Can anyone tell me if there would be any issues disconnecting the video output from the lane watch camera and connecting it to the HDMI input wire? I am not very technically inclined but it seems like this should work and it would allow toggle on/off from the turn signal button. Could somebody please elaborate on the difficulties I might face and any blocking factors that would exist if I tried this modification?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just got my 2015 Civic Si Coupe and I have been reading a lot of forums to find out about playing video while vehicle is in motion. Nobody seems to have a solution to this. I had a thought that I wanted to get some input on. Can anyone tell me if there would be any issues disconnecting the video output from the lane watch camera and connecting it to the HDMI input wire? I am not very technically inclined but it seems like this should work and it would allow toggle on/off from the turn signal button. Could somebody please elaborate on the difficulties I might face and any blocking factors that would exist if I tried this modification?
Here are a few considerations to keep in mind about this possibility.
- The physical plugs for HDMI and the side camera are different, so you'd need to do some splicing to get this to work. IF it works.
- HDMI transfers content digitally. I do not know whether the sideview camera transfers digitally or via analong. If it is an analog signal, we'd need a converter (which also means we'd need to power the converter).
- The sideview camera does not carry audio. Depending on what people want to use the screen for, this may or may not matter. It's possible that this modded-HDMI and Bluetooth could work simultaneously for video and audio respectively.
- We'd have to remove the guidelines from the screen. I think this can be done through the menus, but I forget off the top of my head.

Very interesting thought, though! I'm not brave enough to explore it in my car, but is anyone else?

·
Registered
674 Posts
If you just splice into the hdmi wire off the harness, you may still have the safety feature to deal with, If you run straight off the hdmi as a stand alone connection that should be one obstacle overcome!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I didn't consider that the wires themselves are probably very different. I can splice similar wires but have never tried to splice different ones together. This may be a blocking issue but also may be solved by the converter if necessary. As for the audio that is another issue I do not know how to solve. If the device is outputting in HDMI it probably wouldn't also be outputting audio in Bluetooth. To the last point, I think the guidelines can be removed. If they can't, I would be willing to accept that as a minor inconvenience to an otherwise awesome upgrade. Thanks for the reply! Clearly more thought needs to be put into this before anyone tries it. Anybody else have any input or better ideas on how to achieve the end goal?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you just splice into the hdmi wire off the harness, you may still have the safety feature to deal with, If you run straight off the hdmi as a stand alone connection that should be one obstacle overcome!
Sorry I don't understand. Could you elaborate on the difference in the two scenarios you are describing please. Again, I am not very familiar with how all of this works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 civic si and i am trying to figure some of these things out as well, i didnt know the HDMI would shut off when i am moving, this is horrible i want to be able to watch videos, i was also having issues with audio the hdmi cable wasnt pulling in audio and theres no aux.. i could get my computer to bluetooth to the car, but it still wouldnt pull audio because i had the selector on hdmi input instead of bluetooth input, this is stupid, honda please help us out.. i want to have video and audio.... with the side camera i want to keep it but it would be a good way to pass video to the car without it realizing, and i am almost 95 percent sure it is being sent over analog which would be a pain, but i am sure you could do some 800x600 video over VGA... but that would need some fancy and difficult wiring... can anyone shed light on these issues? - honda lover!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts