9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been having a strange issue with my side passenger airbag, not to be confused with the passenger side airbag. when i have someone sitting in the passenger seat, i get random alerts that the side passenger airbag is off?

has anyone encountered this problem?

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Is the person shifting around in the seat? When my fiancee leans forward digging around in her purse or something to that effect - it sometimes flashes that its OFF.

I think it depends on where the sensor is in the seat, and how much weight is required to activate it. My old car i know for a fact it was 35 pounds would activate it, otherwise it was off. If your passenger is shifted in the seat, it may not provide the sensor with accurate data.

If you notice it when you have a passenger - say going over bumps and it seems to be going on/off erratically, i would definitely think its a loose wire.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Could be anything just let the dealer look after it, that's why we pay so much for our new car it's all in the package if they have to fix anything after delivery.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hondas with Side airbags have a system called OPDS, occupant position detection system, it is designed to reduce injuries from the side airbag located in the seat bolster. It only operates on the front passenger seat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Airbag Indicator - what does it mean?

I see the following airbag indicator doesn't matter if there is a passenger or not. What does it mean? Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think that's the Canadian symbol for airbags when they are on they will show a "off" below that symbol saying they are off. I believe in your manual it will explain all the symbols. :)

Reactions: Digger

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I think that's the Canadian symbol for airbags when they are on they will show a "off" below that symbol, or no indicator/symbol to say they are off. I believe in your manual it will explain all the symbols. :)
Yes this is how it should work. If a passenger is seated it should display the airbag symbol, and no passenger, it should display saying "off" or something similar.

Check your manual, my Altima was anything over 30lbs it would turn the bags on. anything lighter (child, pet, cargo) they wont come on - i think it had something to do with children in the front seat - airbags going off would cause more harm, etc. - but this was before "kids in the backseat" BigBird Commercials...in the states anyway

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok, I checked my manual, it is called the "Passenger Airbag Off Indicator", but the problem is the indicator I am seeing doesn't have the "OFF" component of the indicator. Should I bring my car to the dealer? I just got the car yesterday.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This icon is always there (without the OFF). There will be an OFF that will show up when the airbag is disabled. Turn the car off, pull the key, and put it back in and turn in to accessory. You should the the OFF show up for a few seconds before it disappears. My car (in Canada too) shows that icon all the time too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This icon is always there (without the OFF). There will be an OFF that will show up when the airbag is disabled. Turn the car off, pull the key, and put it back in and turn in to accessory. You should the the OFF show up for a few seconds before it disappears. My car (in Canada too) shows that icon all the time too.
I think you are right. When I turn the car on, it shows the "OFF" button under the airbag icon for a few seconds, and it disappears, but the airbag icon itself is ALWAYS ON no matter if there is a passenger or not.

·
2014 January FB2/FB6 ROTM
1,937 Posts
In my LX, they alert "Passenger Airbag System is turned off" whenever my passenger like leans forwards or something when im driving. Other than that, it never appears on my screen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How to fix passenger airbag off

Whether there's a passenger or not, I always get the "passenger airbag off" indicator. I first noticed it when I was in the passenger while somebody else was driving about a week ago. As I remember it, I leaned forward and it came on. I also notice that there's this red blinking light on the left side of the steering wheel before I start my car. How can I fix this?

1 - 20 of 206 Posts