9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my car was sounding different and had a feeling it was coming from underneath. I went to take a look and turns out I was correct. There is a small crack in the weld of my FR downpipe, right after the cat. The crack is not all the way around, only on the bottom side. I know it's leaking because I can feel air coming out from it when the car is on.

How should I go on fixing this? Is it something as simple as using JB Weld?

20160406_183450.jpg

20160406_183158.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Damn! Did you hit a curb or are you driving crazy? RMM?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I would contact Full Race. I believe there is even a user here that's from the company. I'm sure they would be willing to talk to you about it and try and figure something out.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,202 Posts
I have a small down in my crack pipe. What should I do?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I noticed my car was sounding different and had a feeling it was coming from underneath. I went to take a look and turns out I was correct. There is a small crack in the weld of my FR downpipe, right after the cat. The crack is not all the way around, only on the bottom side. I know it's leaking because I can feel air coming out from it when the car is on.

How should I go on fixing this? Is it something as simple as using JB Weld?

View attachment 403186

View attachment 403178
I would contact the manufacturer and ask for a new pipe.
If they tell you to pound sand, have the existing pipe welded. Might consider adding a gusset to the welded section...
Also, make sure the 02 sensor is not touching the exhaust system hanger pin as can be seen in photo 2.

·
Banned
601 Posts
If I'm looking at your picture correctly, it looks like the weld on the reducer to the cat separated, not the weld from the downpipe to the cat.
This to me looks like an issue with the catalytic converter itself. I doubt that Full Race makes their own catalytic converter; they probably purchase one from another manufacturer and then weld it together.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
What you're seeing is called "centerline" cracking of the weld. It's usually hard to know the cause. Additives in the weld may have separated after the bead was run. It could also happen due to the bead itself (too much weld penetration, etc). In any case, it certainly looks like a manufacturing defect and should be replaced if its under warranty.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
If they tell you to pound sand, have the existing pipe welded. Might consider adding a gusset to the welded section...
Also, make sure the 02 sensor is not touching the exhaust system hanger pin as can be seen in photo 2.
If you have it welded again, make sure the old weld is ground out first.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn! Did you hit a curb or are you driving crazy? RMM?
I don't think I hit anything. The damage would look different if I did right?

I had to Google what pound sand meant lol. What are the consequences of having the o2 sensor touching it? I'll go ahead and move it but was just wondering.

If you have it welded again, make sure the old weld is ground out first.
What do you mean by ground out?

Honestly I really don't want to go through the trouble of putting another downpipe in. I would rather just leave this downpipe in there and weld it. If I take it out, I'm going back all stock on the exhaust system. I'm big on music SQ (after I had already put in downpipe, exhaust, etc.) and have taken many steps to quiet down the car, but would really benefit if I had a stock exhaust system.

If I take it to a muffler shop, would they know what to do with it? Any special instructions I should tell them? Also, is this something I could wait out a few weeks on, or is it something I have to fix immediately?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't think I hit anything. The damage would look different if I did right?

I had to Google what pound sand meant lol. What are the consequences of having the o2 sensor touching it? I'll go ahead and move it but was just wondering.

What do you mean by ground out?

Honestly I really don't want to go through the trouble of putting another downpipe in. I would rather just leave this downpipe in there and weld it. If I take it out, I'm going back all stock on the exhaust system. I'm big on music SQ (after I had already put in downpipe, exhaust, etc.) and have taken many steps to quiet down the car, but would really benefit if I had a stock exhaust system.

If I take it to a muffler shop, would they know what to do with it? Any special instructions I should tell them? Also, is this something I could wait out a few weeks on, or is it something I have to fix immediately?
to be honest try jb weld hell if it dont work your gonna have to get the old weld shaved off so i would try jb weld that shit bolds to anything..give it a good sanding and try it...ive seen people use this stuff on cracked crank cases and works..

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
What are the consequences of having the o2 sensor touching it? I'll go ahead and move it but was just wondering.

If I take it to a muffler shop, would they know what to do with it?

Any special instructions I should tell them?

Also, is this something I could wait out a few weeks on, or is it something I have to fix immediately?
02 sensor contacting the body is a path for noise and vibration.
Vibration is most likely what caused the crack.

A muffler shop should know what to do... it's whether they are able to weld that material.
I would get this taken care of TODAY! As, the crack will only grow longer until such time the two joined pieces will separate. Which could result in a fire.

·
Registered
544 Posts

A muffler shop should know what to do... it's whether they are able to weld that material.
I would get this taken care of TODAY! As, the crack will only grow longer until such time the two joined pieces will separate. Which could result in a fire.
I agree, this could result in the two pieces coming apart, but I don't see the likelihood of a fire starting. This isn't a fuel line, this is an exhaust outlet where gases are expelled. The only way a brief flame would appear is if he is running super rich and back-fired.

If this isn't covered under the manufacturer's warranty, an exhaust shop should be able to reweld that joint.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I think Teeps was referring to extremely hot exhaust pouring out of the down pipe at the cat and burning something under the car.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts

If you're going to have a fire make sure it is successful. Carry a little bottle of gasoline to make sure it's totaled. Oh, get insurance first. ������. JB Weld should work. It's amazing stuff.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I think Teeps was referring to extremely hot exhaust pouring out of the down pipe at the cat and burning something under the car.
You are correct or burning the padding in the interior.
I don't get under these cars anymore so I have no perspective as to where the failing part is located in relation to flammable bits in/on the car.
There is also carbon-monoxide to consider too.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You are correct or burning the padding in the interior.
I don't get under these cars anymore so I have no perspective as to where the failing part is located in relation to flammable bits in/on the car.
There is also carbon-monoxide to consider too.
All good points. This is a street car, not a race car, so routing the exhaust and watching exhaust gas temperature would matter. I didn't think about that.

Good looking out.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
How about ,calling FR and its not hard to change the downpipe either ,it takes maybe an hour tops if you do it slow.
Call FR have them warranty it out no need to mess with it at a muffler shop that won't be able to do jack squat other than run another bead on top of the cracked weld.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just my two cents, but please, do not use JB Weld. It's rated sustained temperature is 500 degrees F. If this is on the Cat then that is in the middle of its proper operating range.

Its a clean break on the weld. Call the company you bought it from, they will probably want pictures of the entire length of the system to make sure you haven't hit anything or caused it to fail and then will work with you to get it replaced. As with any supplier, be cool with them and they will be the same with you.

The longer you wait, the larger the break will get. But again, please don't try to hack it together with epoxy.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the help guys. I've decided to use ThermoSteel for now to see how it'll do. It's rated up to 2400 degrees and I've read a lot of good things about it. I still don't know if I'll want another downpipe or just go back stock if I have to take it apart.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts