9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to turbo my si soon and would like to know some recomendations so that I dont blow the motor. I would like to make around 350-400whp to start out

·
Registered
361 Posts
Im looking to turbo my si soon and would like to know some recomendations so that I dont blow the motor. I would like to make around 350-400whp to start out
What's your end goal?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Turbo it, you’ll save your money in the long run 380-400 safe depending on your tuner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
At what HP level do you think you'll build your block?
If your tune is shitty u need a built motor at 300, if you are beating on the car in every light ull need to worry about ur tranny first! But it all depends on how YOU BEAT ON YOUR CAR. 400hp you can beat on your motor all day!! But at 350 your 4th gear will blow, so it depends what your END GOAL is in my opinion before going on boos you need to set a goal or you will learn the hard way and spends lots of money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
See I want a set up exactly like yours. TVS1900.
Any regrets/things you'd do different?
no regrets at all. 10k miles and no issues. I did a Q&A with MercRacing and another customer on YouTube a few weeks ago. We answered various questions: MercRacing Q&A

I'm actually in the process of upgrading the transmission, switching to e85, and upping the boost. Goal will be 450whp.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Okay so my end goal is a car is it to have a considerable amount of power but somewhat reliable ie I know part may sustain to break easier after boosting
IF you are set on turboing the car, get something like the PRL stage 2 kit, and go from there. But remember, once you start hitting close to 400whp, as mentioned above, your 4th gear will eventually go out.

It really comes down to what kind of power band you want. I'm currently at 384whp/312wtq and been boosted for about 10k miles with stock block and transmission. Been extremely reliable. I want more power, so I'm in the process of rebuilding my transmission, switching to e85, and upping the boost. My goal this go round is 450whp.

I've seen a few ppl with well into the upper 400 to low 500 with stock block for a period of time and had no issues.

·
Registered
122 Posts
no regrets at all. 10k miles and no issues. I did a Q&A with MercRacing and another customer on YouTube a few weeks ago. We answered various questions: MercRacing Q&A

I'm actually in the process of upgrading the transmission, switching to e85, and upping the boost. Goal will be 450whp.
Love to hear it!! Reinforces my decision.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Love to hear it!! Reinforces my decision.
Yea man. It's a good kit. As time goes on, i think ppl are realizing that the k24z7 isn't a bad motor. People were hating on it, but they seem to be holding up well with boost.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yea, there's a few small YouTube channels with turbo'd 9th gen civic pushing well into the 400whp+ range on stock block.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Please keep in mind that there's more to this than just HP, too. Weight and great ratios pay a huge part. You'd be amazed at the cars a 2013 Si sedan with a properly installed and tuned Craftwerks kit and around 340 HP at the wheels will leave behind. I was a passenger in such an Si and it walked away from a very clean, newer model BMW M3.

If I was doing to build our 2015 Si for my wife, I'd do the Craftwerks kit. Fits and installs easily with no hassles. Of course, you do not get the low end torque that you get with a really high quality turbo kit, but that is far more complex. With the Craftwerks kit, it actually seemed to me to drive just like stock Si...if a stock Si had 340 horsepower at the wheel. Loads of fun!

Good luck on whatever path you choose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts