9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought a 2014 civic SI sedan. It has brand new low profile 18's on it. They don't seem to preform too well in the snow. I live in Ohio so the winters aren't too friendly. Does anyone have any experience/advice for me? I was thinking about buying some plain 16inch wheels and putting snow tires on them. Does anyone know if the 16 inch wheels will fit over the brakes? Thank you! Also any snow tire recommendations.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes; 16" wheels will fit over the brakes.
I run 16" Sparco wheels with 205/55R16 Cooper Discoverer True North winter tires on my 2014 Si.
They do not have the great deep snow traction of a Blizzak, but I think they're a good compromise and much better than even the best all-season. Pretty cheap, quiet, and long-wearing.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,834 Posts
Currently running Blizzak WS80 on my wife's car definitely the best snow tires I've run treadwear life isn't the best though they've since been replaced by the WS90. Recently purchased the newly released Michelin Xice Snow to replace the WS80 haven't mounted them yet but reviews are promising.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
i've use both the blizzaks and x-ice tires on my civic. for those up north who get lots of snow....go with the blizzaks. they are better in the true 'snow'. if you live where i do...and we get as much ice as we do snow...i prefer the x-ice tires. the michelin's also are a bit quieter and better when cold and dry out on roads. the blizzaks definitely feel squishier on the dry cold roads. don't get me wrong....both are light years ahead of any all season tire.

in fact, any winter tire is better than the best all-season tire. i won't drive a car anymore without winter tires after using them for the first time 11 years ago. in the grand scheme of things, it's a relatively small investment that will greatly improve your safety in the winter months.

you will still have to behave on the roads, they aren't invincible.

Reactions: jwill98 and kev604

·
I Need A Vacation
13,834 Posts
The Blizzaks were amazing on deep snow. The previous generation Xice weren't as good on snow as the Blizzaks but still top notch snow tires with decent treadwear. The new Xice Snow as the name suggests should be better on snow while hopefully maintaining decent treadwear. Where I live driving up north into the mountains snow tires are mandatory 6 months of the year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts