9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On March 9th, I ran over a large piece of concrete at night in a construction zone. I damaged my oil pan, catalytic converter and exhaust and was curbed until March 12th. The damage from the rock cost a total of $1,318.78. This total includes towing the car home, cost of a new oil pan + liquid sealer (our Si uses a liquid sealer, not a physical gasket), cost of a new oil filter + oil (lost all of the oil because of the hole in my oil pan), labor to remove and replace the oil pan (it's not a simple procedure), and the price of a full exhaust.

I am currently in contact with the construction company to be reimbursed the cost of the damages and services caused by the rock.

Keep in mind, while watching the video and knowing it's a rock, you can obviously see it is indeed a rock. It was night and I wear glasses, I thought it was a piece of trash. There is traffic to the right of me and a median with cones to the left of me, leaving the rock unavoidable through legal means. I probably could have squeezed through the cones and the rock to avoid it, but it's illegal to drive onto the median, not only that, I could have punctured a tire.

Here is the video:

Here are the pictures (well over 10mb of large pictures, had to make an album on imgur, sorry):

Rock - Imgur

*Shout out to SB2012SI for being an amazing help through the entire ordeal from day one until it was fixed.*

Edit 1: Stock height. (Fully stock for that matter)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope you get that fix and sue them for lots of money for aftermarket parts.
Did you read what I wrote or just went straight to the video/pictures? Haha. It's fixed and I'm in the process of getting my money back. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sucks, hope the video helps in getting the construction company to pay for damages.
It's the only reason they're even talking to me in an expedited fashion!

I'd bet if that rock had a large pair of hooters you would have hit the brakes a lot faster.
Sure, if they're my wife's. Otherwise, she would probably be very upset.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Your reaction was hilarious but that really sucks man! I saw that rock and was like ohh no!!!!! Hopefully everything's good and you'll get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Lol. When I watch the video, I thought it was a paper trash too. OMG. Before the car just about to run over the rock, I'm keep thinking:
"Wait a minute"
"A trash?"
"But why it's so round?"
"It can't be!"
"Wait! Something is not right here.."

Then, when the car hit rock:
"Oh f... It's a BIG rock!"

Hahaha! This is funny but at the same time I wish this kind of accident never happen to anyone.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I think you should be able to claim way more than just money back, they don't hesitate to fine us double if you make a mistake in a construction zone. In my opinion, you should get legal advice. It could have been a lot worse if you were going through at 35mph on a green light. Lucky for you, you were probably doing 15 mph.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think you should be able to claim way more than just money back, they don't hesitate to fine us double if you make a mistake in a construction zone. In my opinion, you should get legal advice. It could have been a lot worse if you were going through at 35mph on a green light. Lucky for you, you were probably doing 15 mph.
Interesting...

Also, to make it worse, if I was going the speed limit, I would have been going 45mph.

·
Registered
439 Posts
It doesn't look like a rock to me. It looks like trash. Sigh. Hopefully u get lotsa money so u can buy some parts.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I hate to be the first one to say it, but why the hell did you drive over it? I didn't even fullscreen the video and I could clearly see it BEFORE you accelerated directly over it. I can safely assume in real life it was even more clear and obvious.

You'll be lucky if they pay you a cent, especially after pointing out that you might have had time to stop if you weren't accelerating so quickly(that's how it sounds/looks). That's what they're going to say after you show them this video.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hate to be the first one to say it, but why the hell did you drive over it? I didn't even fullscreen the video and I could clearly see it BEFORE you accelerated directly over it. I can safely assume in real life it was even more clear and obvious.

You'll be lucky if they pay you a cent, especially after pointing out that you might have had time to stop if you weren't accelerating so quickly(that's how it sounds/looks). That's what they're going to say after you show them this video.
Why wouldn't they? Why should I have to dodge their objects in the middle of the road? Sure, it could have been avoidable... If I stopped in front of it with dozens of cars behind me and to my right, risking my life. The road I was on is a three lane, 45mph road. Do you think it's legal to drive your car onto the median? Because I'm pretty sure it's not. It was night time, if you couldn't gather that information from the video, it's not easy to identify objects in the road when you're driving in the city. Trash is a very common occurrence, rocks are not nearly as common.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts