9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 EX-L, and like many of us I would like to able to buy a cold air intake. None are available yet to my knowledge, so just for the fun of it I started to examine the factory system on Honda's 1.8. From the intake manifold running backwards the intake goes right into the filter box, and from there a tube comes out and turns down to go under the battery tray and turns again towards the fender. It then reappears wedged between the battery and the front fender via a vertical tube! This long route cancels all intake sound and costs maybe a few horsepower. It is water ingestion proof, I'll say that. So anyway, I removed the rubber bellows looking connector from the filter box to the tube that goes down under the battery tray. As you open the hood it is right in front of you. I knew that warm under hood air will be sucked in, but it will be filtered. I went for a short drive and couldn't stop laughing. The 1.8 makes a great intake sound! Tomorrow I'll work on getting the tubing hooked up to pull in cooler air down a little lower below the engine...but not too low. I'll leave it like that until a real CAI comes out. Did it feel faster? Hard to say since the sound messes with your judgement, but it for sure wasn't any slower.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I normally make my own CAI Cus it's expensive to buy a name brand one and a knock off brand is low quality

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So today I removed the driver's side wheel well liner and took out the huge intake box and associated tubing. Two 10 mm bolts is all that had to be unscrewed. I then ran some dryer flex tubing from the filter box down to the fender area to pull in cool air. Fired it up and went for a drive...No Sound! It was factory quiet. So off it came again. I went for a ten mile drive and the butt dyno says nice gains down low accelerating thru 1st, 2nd and 3rd but out on the highway adding speed seemed to be worse somewhat. Not sure why that is. so I'll leave it like this until a real CAI comes out.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Do you possibly have pictures of your setup?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No but I can say this, that out of the filter box facing the front of the car is a rubber connector. Into this connector there is a plastic 3' or so plastic pipe that turns downwards and heads under the battery tray. This 10" pipe just pulls out of each connector,the one I mentioned above and one down under the battery tray. It is very easy. I'm going to stick with this set up for now until something better comes out. If you shift it yourself (auto) and hit the peddle pretty hard from a stop going 1-2-3D then D it's great.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Edkiefer! All I did was remove pipe #8 in the second diagram, the one with a 90 degree bend. Really nice gains down low, a small loss in 5th (auto) on the highway if you try to accelerate. Now I push the pedal just a little farther to get it to downshift, and all is well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had some free time so....

The short intake I described above was great but I got to thinking about the fact that it pulls in hot under the hood air. So today using some intake tubing I had just laying around I extended it from the filter box straight ahead to the top of the radiator instead. By removing just a little metal from the core support (just above the radiator cap) a nice gap opened up and the new air inlet is there. At highway speeds this will produce a ram air effect, I'll test it Monday going to work and let you know.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It worked! Highway response is back and the great sound is still there. I will keep this setup.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just spent the last hour on various web sites including a Corvette forum and a Mustang forum. I learned that extensive testing has been done regarding the ram air effect of the intake facing forward. Unfortunately even at 100 mph the power gain is 1.2 percent, that is all. Only mechanical compression of the intake air using a supercharger or turbo works well. Otherwise all the benefit is due to the colder air being sent to the engine. So hopefully at the upcoming SEMA show we'll have some good CAI's to choose from for the 9th gen Civics.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Hopefully, I was thinking though, you know that spot in front of the windshield, that plastic part with the vents? I wonder if something could be placed there and routed to the throttle body, all the cold air, and no puddles!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a high pressure area but the air would have to be filtered first, but the theory is good! Older Chevelles SS's I think with the 396 engine actually had a plate at the base of the windshield that would open at full throttle and direct high pressure air to the air cleaner. Funny how at 100 mph the gain is 1%, the real gain is the cold air. But the idea helped sell cars!

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
I know it Needs to be filtered, but I feel there is some way to add a filter there some how

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What do you guys think of this: I think it would be easy enough to make a CAI with the parts available at Auto Zone or Advance Auto. I would aim it down to the area under the battery or even in the front fender area. And the way that battery sits so far out front it is bad for handling. So another member mentioned the battery could be relocated to where the air filter housing was. I think Mazda does it this way in the Mazda3 or 6. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
How would you mount the battery though?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is a good question, as I haven't yet removed the air filter box base. Maybe this weekend I'll do that and determine if I can make a base plate and assure the area has enough strength to support a battery.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
It doesn't have a base it's bolted to te corner of the ecu support :/

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah then, to the trunk! I have a 2003 CL-S that I've done every mod there is to, now I'll start on the Civic I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Lol I don't wanna bother with moving my battery to the trunk yet, way too much work for a cai

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
That's what you have to work with

1 - 20 of 45 Posts