9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I finally got around to installing a pair of spyder headlights on my 2015 si. The bumper and light swap process was really straight forward, and was actually a lot of fun getting to work on this project.

However, I came across an issue with the hazard/turn signal lights where the fuse would pop instantly when trying a turn signal or turning on the hazards. The low beams and high beams worked like a charm.

As a temporary fix since I'm not going to be moving the car for a few days, I had to upsize the 10A fuse to a 20A fuse (15A also popped unfortunately)

I'm unsure where to proceed from here, I did double check the fuse and reviewed the wires to make sure they were not going to smoke on me, and it all looked fine.

These headlights were advertised to be simple plug and play, and they were. Just that this issue with the fuse is throwing me for a loop.

1. Could I get lower wattage turn signal bulbs to counterplay power draw?
2. Is there a place/site where they sell a upgraded wire harness that can safely handle a higher amount of power?
3. Is it that detrimental to have a higher fuse for the hazard/turn signal slot seeing it's used very lightly compared to having low beams/fogs on for the whole trip?

note: I do plan on calling spyder auto support to see if they can give me an insight on what may be happening.

note 2: nothing else major is done on the car other than appearance mods like shift knob, roof wrap, side skirts, lip.

Hope you all have a good weekend!

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Believe it or not, the fuse window only very slightly tinted, and the bridge inside was split.

I am somewhat suspecting that the turn signal bulbs could be the culprit, as I didn't check those before the whole install process to see if they were the same wattage as the oem bulbs.

I'll check those later today and update this thread with my findings.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wanted to provide a small update. I have checked the turn signal bulbs to see if they matched the same wattage as the oem bulbs, and oddly enough, they do. Both are rated to draw 8 watts. This left me a bit confused.

My next step will be asking spyderauto to see why the 10A fuse is refusing to handle the headlights.

Will update the thread accordingly!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello all,

Apparently the headlights are meant for a 2012-2014 civic, and they have excluded the 2015 year for whatever reason.

This was their response:

"As stated on our website it is only meant to fit/work for the 2012-2014,
since we don't cover the 2015 year we can't provide technical support for
this."

I'm a little bummed on this answer since I would figure that there is no difference between the 2013-2015 model years, and somehow the headlights are compatible with years 2012-2014.

However, I am unsure if there are any real differences between the 2012-2014 and 2015 model years. The headlight fit like a glove, all connections were correct as well. If I felt like something wasn't going to connect correctly, I wouldn't have continued with the installation process. :confused:

Does anyone know if there are any differences between the wiring harnesses between the 2012-2014 and 2015 model years? This would really be the only thing that I can draw a conclusion to seeing that everything else is identical.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey all. Just wanted to update this thread.

Today, I replaced the bulb on the right headlight. I discovered that the bulb had quite some scratches on the lens.

I disconnected the battery, replaced the bulb, put back the 10A fuse, and voila!

If anyone decides to purchase these lights. I would suggest replacing all bulbs the headlights come with just to make sure that they are not the cause of any electrical issues when you go to install them.

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
165 Posts
So bummed you had so much issue with these. Glad everything is good now though!

I ordered the same lights... And I guess we can caution against Spyder customer support now... Because here's when and what I bought

Camera lens Flash photography Automotive lighting Font Gadget

2015 listed there... You may also be able to tell just from looking... Those fog light housing are for the 12-13 coupe...
Which is why that second order of 3.5" LED lamps are there, lol.

I did use OEM amber signals from the get, on a whim. And am now going to look into the other bulbs too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So bummed you had so much issue with these. Glad everything is good now though!

I ordered the same lights... And I guess we can caution against Spyder customer support now... Because here's when and what I bought

View attachment 495786

2015 listed there... You may also be able to tell just from looking... Those fog light housing are for the 12-13 coupe...
Which is why that second order of 3.5" LED lamps are there, lol.

I did use OEM amber signals from the get, on a whim. And am now going to look into the other bulbs too.
Glad everything worked out well too! I was going to use the OEM bulbs for the turn signals, but when i took out the amber bulb that came with the headlight assembly, it was a different socket that looked like:

Liquid Product Cosmetics Fluid Material property

whilst the oem bulb was:
Liquid Drinkware Automotive lighting Product Rectangle

Right? I saw so many postings on ebay with the years 2012-2015, but apparently since their website only says 2012-2014 (I bet they just didn't update the site to include 2015), they refused to help out. :/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts