9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock lx rim are 15 inch tire size 195/65r15. And my new rim 17 inch with tire size 215/35r17 . My speedometer now read more faster than my correct speed. When my car run 50mph so speedometer show 55mph , when I run 45 and speedometer will show 49mph. How to fix this ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Hola
3,746 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You should go to 215/45/r17 not 215/35/r17 otherwise take it to a shop and they have to re calibrate you speedometer which i belive theu can not sure tho

Sent from my SGH-I727R using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,542 Posts
Or just remember the differences. It really doesn't matter what the speedo says, as long as you know how fast you're going.

35 sidewalls? I hope you have smoooooth roads where you are.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
i know to subtract about 2mph when i drive with 40 series tires

Sent from my SGH-T679 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Blues Clues
1,002 Posts
according to my gps, my speedometer's been 1 mph off since i got new wheels..doesn't bother me :p

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
My stock lx rim are 15 inch tire size 195/65r15. And my new rim 17 inch with tire size 215/35r17 . My speedometer now read more faster than my correct speed. When my car run 50mph so speedometer show 55mph , when I run 45 and speedometer will show 49mph. How to fix this ?

I don't think wheel/tires size will throw off you MPH rating. The speedo uses a calibration of internal gearing and the speed the gears are moving, not the wheel.

sent from an artificial intelligence device that eats fruit for breakfast.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I don't think wheel/tires size will throw ofaster returning a faster than MPH rating. The speedo uses a calibration of internal gearing and the speed the gears are moving, not the wheel.

sent from an artificial intelligence device that eats fruit for breakfast.

And a smaller diameter than stock tire will make those gears turn faster in return giving an incorrect speedo reading.

·
Premium Member
8,536 Posts
Sucks your speedometer reads low instead of high. I'll agree with the previously-mentioned solutions: 1. get different tires, 2. remember to add 6mph (just to be safe), or 3. take it somewhere to get the speedometer recalibrated. Good luck!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm bring to dealer then they said that they can't fix it lol.
I know tire size should be 215/45r17 but I choose 215/35r17 because I can lower my car 1 more inch and this tire light weight only 17lb . Lol maybe I wait until this tire gone then change to 215/45r17.

Stock : 15 inch rim 16lb and tire is 18 lb
New: 17 inch rim 14lb and tire 17lb

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,542 Posts
2. remember to add 6mph (just to be safe),
6 mph only works at a certain speed because the difference is a percentage. The faster you go, the greater the difference between the speedo and the actual.

·
Registered
118 Posts
@2B20SI
No...Using internal gearing wouldn't tell you your speed because technically the wheel is another gear that motion is transferred to. Tire diameter will throw off your car's MPH reading. And if it could use internal gearing it would show you MPH even in neutral.

·
Premium Member
8,536 Posts
6 mph only works at a certain speed because the difference is a percentage. The faster you go, the greater the difference between the speedo and the actual.
Agreed. But at 50mph, there is not much need to go much faster (maybe up to 65-70?). The greater percentage of going faster than 50mph would only translate to an additional 1-4mph (maybe) over the 5mph the speedometer already reads low. So, to solve that, the OP should either get different tires, or get the speedometer fixed.

·
Registered
325 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts