9th Gen Civic Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Finally said screw it and ordered it.

I want to know how these work out for you :eusa_dance:

Could you measure these and give me the dimensions?

·
Registered
370 Posts
where are they available ?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Ordered mine from Matt at ICB. Got them in two days and they happened to be on special. Installed them earlier today. Only real differences I noticed were less vibration from the engine (I have Innovative mounts) and it does feel tighter, that's about it.

Install was very easy. just a 10mm, 17mm, and flathead screwdriver are needed for a standard install. If you have a 4 point brace you will need a 19mm and 12mm to loosen the bar. I didn't take pics of the actual collars to show the difference but I should have. There are collars that sandwich between the subframe and chassis, then there is another collar that goes on the bottom, and the bolt goes through that to center the bolt. The collars that sandwich between, are all the same. The collars that go on the outside where the bolt goes through, are different, and for the FD2 application, they are not numbered. The front part of the subframe gets the thinner bottom collar, the back subframe gets the thicker bottom collar. You will know when you compare them, which is which.

Install was very easy. Just watch some videos or search for DIYs on how to remove the subframe. You don't have to remove the subframe for this buy it will show you the 4 main bolts for the subframe, and there are 2 other bolts on each side of the subframe. Just loosen all 4 corners of the subframe, keeping a couple of threads on each bolt in, then remove the two side bolts where the steering rack connects out completely. From there you can remove one bolt at a time, pry the subframe down enough to slide each collar in. then as you install the bolt back in, put the correct bottom collar in first. Once you have them all installed loosely, go around and start tightening. That s really all there is to it. Having to remove the 4 point brace added another 5-10 minutes to remove and install, but overall it only took maybe 1.5 hours start to finish and that was with making the mistake of putting the wrong bottom collars on the front at first and having to fix it. I could easily do one in 45 minutes start to finish now.

Box and what it comes with:

Passenger rear view:

Drivers side rear

Drivers side front:

View of the top of the drivers side front subframe:

·
Registered
989 Posts
I'm gonna see how much these cost because I'm convinced they'd be a great little mod.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Does the car need to be realigned since you unbolted the subframe or no since it was completely detached?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Does the car need to be realigned since you unbolted the subframe or no since it was completely detached?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
The subframe is never completely removed technically but because the rigid collars shift the subframe, yes you need alignment for sure. That being said I didn’t notice any difference in my alignment by feel.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
So here is a screen grab from somebody reviewing the Blox Rigid Collar kit and you can see that the top row are the longer "bottom" collars. The top two are thinner, and you can see that by looking at them in comparison to the top right bottom collars. The top left are for the front, the top right are for the rear. That was not made clear with the Spoon instructions (because they are in Japanese), and it looks like Blox doesn't come with any instructions.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I'm wondering if the bolts should be replaced with new ones. Per our 9th gen torque specs sheet, some bolts and nuts are preferred to be replaced if taken out/uninstalled.

Also, did you use thread lock? These subframe bolts seem important. ��

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'm wondering if the bolts should be replaced with new ones. Per our 9th gen torque specs sheet, some bolts and nuts are preferred to be replaced if taken out/uninstalled.

Also, did you use thread lock? These subframe bolts seem important. ��
the subframe bolts don’t appear to be single torque life bolts. I have reused them twice now. I wouldn’t recommend putting thread lock on them, just torque them per specs and use the provided anti seize.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Thread Revival.

I also installed these on my car (Blox ones..) along with a new clutch and a bunch of other things. Vibrations wise, it's not that much different. Maybe a little less but i can't say for sure.. However, for some reason, it feels like the front end has sightly softer springs\dampers. Also, more importantly to me, the front end of the car is much stiffer and feels much more planted. Before, on a certain stretch of road that sinked in patches and is now very uneven, the front end creaked somewhere in the dash\firewall area as the body flexed. It doesn't anymore, indicating that the front end is stiffer. Also, i saw small scratches at the mating surfaces of the body and subframe indicating that the subframe flexed and\or shifted a bit in the course of the last 233k miles. The Collar kit will prevent that as it was FORCED into place with the impact gun. The lower ones were HARD to partially push in the subframe and impossible to completely slide on the bolts. To me, that is a completely worthwhile mod and i hesitate to say if it's my favorite suspention mod or if it's still the Progress 22mm RSB that i installed ages ago. Highly recommended mod.

Also, keep in mind that i probably have the 9th gen Si with the most miles on the clock here at a bit over 233k so my unibody is probably a bit weaker now. YMMV.

Marko!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thread Revival.

I also installed these on my car (Blox ones..) along with a new clutch and a bunch of other things. Vibrations wise, it's not that much different. Maybe a little less but i can't say for sure.. However, for some reason, it feels like the front end has sightly softer springs\dampers. Also, more importantly to me, the front end of the car is much stiffer and feels much more planted. Before, on a certain stretch of road that sinked in patches and is now very uneven, the front end creaked somewhere in the dash\firewall area as the body flexed. It doesn't anymore, indicating that the front end is stiffer. Also, i saw small scratches at the mating surfaces of the body and subframe indicating that the subframe flexed and\or shifted a bit in the course of the last 233k miles. The Collar kit will prevent that as it was FORCED into place with the impact gun. The lower ones were HARD to partially push in the subframe and impossible to completely slide on the bolts. To me, that is a completely worthwhile mod and i hesitate to say if it's my favorite suspention mod or if it's still the Progress 22mm RSB that i installed ages ago. Highly recommended mod.

Also, keep in mind that i probably have the 9th gen Si with the most miles on the clock here at a bit over 233k so my unibody is probably a bit weaker now. YMMV.

Marko!
Where did you get your collars from? Do the 8th gen civic rigid collars work on the 9th gen?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Where did you get your collars from? Do the 8th gen civic rigid collars work on the 9th gen?
8th gen kit works. I bought it from a local shop but i think you can have them from Amazon as well! :)

Marko!

61 - 76 of 76 Posts