9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is my attempt at a spot free rinse. Menards had a sale and marked rain barrels down 20%. I plumbed into our current one and built the stand to be 1/2" higher so it would not overflow. I have an overflow on the first one plumbed into the gutter. The rain is collected into the fist barrel and the dirt and grit will hopefully fall to the bottom of the first barrel before entering the second barrel. I will purchase a pump-up garden sprayer and put a filter in the hose to trap any grit that may be in the water. Any critiques before I rinse my car? Note: the height difference causes the water about an inch below the surface to flow into the second barrel so it doesn't get the crap floating on the top.

Attachments

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Good idea, but know that rain water is not clean water. Keep us posted. You're outta the box thank goodness. ;)

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
I come from an environmental background and rain water collected off a roof is far from clean . it actually picks up all the contaminants that collect over time and its not the suspended particulate your worried about its the total dissolved solids. The way to get rid of them is through really good filtration or distillation. Settling won't work. Water spots are formed when the water evaporates and leaves the dissolved solids behind. An OTC inline filter won't filter out what your worried about.

Dissolved solids" refer to any minerals, salts, metals, cations or anions dissolved in water. Total dissolved solids (TDS) comprise inorganic salts (principally calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, bicarbonates, chlorides, and sulfates) and some small amounts of organic matter that are dissolved in water.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i'm pretty sure it's been discontinued, but if you're motivated you might be able to nab one of the mr.clean autodry kits...

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,349 Posts
Old thread, but I eliminated water-spotting with a leaf blower.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,349 Posts
Or a towel amirite?
Sure, you can use a towel, but if you want no residue and about 1/8 of the time that using a towel takes, very fast moving air is a wonderful thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts