9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has a sputter like its losing fuel. It has been getting progressivley worse. 3500 miles on the clock. I was driving this morning and passed a car in third and was around 4k and let the car decel just by the motor. As the tach hit around 3k the car went chug and sputtered like I quick tapped the brakes. I wasnt touching anything. I thought this was really strange so I did the same thing and when I took my foot off the gas at 4k the car didnt slow down just kept its speed for a good 2-3 seconds. I hit the brakes because I was coming to another stop. There is something wrong with this car and Honda wont do shit. I am getting really pissed they wont acknowledge the issues after they rebuilt the motor. The car feels like crap at any rpms below 3-3500k. I am going again tomarrow and I will leave the car as I dont feel safe driving. Seeing if you guys have any thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My car has a sputter like its losing fuel. It has been getting progressivley worse. 3500 miles on the clock. I was driving this morning and passed a car in third and was around 4k and let the car decel just by the motor. As the tach hit around 3k the car went chug and sputtered like I quick tapped the brakes. I wasnt touching anything. I thought this was really strange so I did the same thing and when I took my foot off the gas at 4k the car didnt slow down just kept its speed for a good 2-3 seconds. I hit the brakes because I was coming to another stop. There is something wrong with this car and Honda wont do shit. I am getting really pissed they wont acknowledge the issues after they rebuilt the motor. The car feels like crap at any rpms below 3-3500k. I am going again tomarrow and I will leave the car as I dont feel safe driving. Seeing if you guys have any thoughts. Thanks
Hey Binx - I think it has something to do with that DAMN Fuel Injection Program - and now it's become a Safety Issue for you - get to North American Honda in Torrance, CA - listed in your Owner's Manual - and DEMAND a repair/fix ..... this is getting more ridiculous by the week!!................Larry

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Larry Im with you. The car is getting worse to drive by the day. Im trying the dealer again tomarrow then calling honda and finally contacting the BBB, AG whomever I have to. This car should be covered under the lemon laws. Its been at the shop every week since I got it in May.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Hey Larry Im with you. The car is getting worse to drive by the day. Im trying the dealer again tomarrow then calling honda and finally contacting the BBB, AG whomever I have to. This car should be covered under the lemon laws. Its been at the shop every week since I got it in May.
Binx - some more "thoughts" from me on this issue. When you talk to Honda Headquarters in Torrance,CA - also put it IN WRITING to them. Tell them that when you took you foot OFF the Gas the car kept on ACCELERATING and almost caused you to have an ACCIDENT. That should get Honda off their asses out there. "Unintended Acceleration" issue - how much did that cost Toyota??!! And you cannot tell me that when Toyota did their "recalls" that they didn't also load some Program Updates into the Customer ECU's. I always felt that the Toyota Issue was NOT due to a Floormat design or Customer panic and hitting the "wrong pedal" - I'm willing to BET that the Unintended Acceleration Issue had to do with Wireless Throttle/ECU Programming Issues. If Honda doesn't watch out they'll be the next ones hauled in front of some Govt Panel. At least - with Manual Transmissions - we can "push in the clutch" if we get the unintended accel - but it's still UNACCEPTABLE - and Honda HAS to deal with it and CORRECT it. It's REV-Hang pure and simple - Automation Programming due to ridiculous Emissions Requirements. Let me know HOW it goes. Right now I have 1800 miles on my Si Sedan - and - with the earlier 5-16-12 ECU FI Program Update plus removal of the 1st Plastic Elbow from the Aircleaner Box, the car is running ok - and better than it was - .......SO FAR!!!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im going to write them. My car now has 3500 miles on it and it was rebuilt at 1900. It didnt burn oil after. I last checked about five hundred miles ago and it was full, above the top dot an 1/8 of an inch and clearish tea colored. I checked today and Im a quart low and the oil is really dark and smells burnt. Doesnt have that sweet smell anymore. The car going on its own was scary as shit though.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont know if its all related but the car hasnt felt right since I bought it. Honda keeps telling me that its normal or they cant notice it. Yet anyone that rides in my car says Wtf is wrong with it and what am I doing to the gas and or the clutch. Im just driving normal. I took a tech out for a ride right before I bought it and he said thats how they are.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Binx had high oil consumption pretty much since new. One of the first known to have been rebuilt in an effort to correct the oil consumption issue.

Sounds like you are having either ecu or fuel delivery problems if it is sputtering. The only normal thing that is even similar to what you are describing would be feeling the air conditioner compressor cycling on which is a very noticeable event in any Honda including our Si's.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
"The car feels like crap at any rpms below 3-3500k."

Thank you. I seriously thought I was crazy. I had a 2006 Si and outside of it being jerky when cold, it felt well built and composed. Lately, I've noticed my car is glugging and chugging and being VERY fussy at RPMS below 3,500. I do a lot of city driving, and it's really bad. I don't really know how to explain it but the transmission makes some less than pleasant clunking sounds, and there are some odd noises.

Someone told me it was because the Si has such a high revving engine. That excuse would be valid - if my 2006 Si didn't have a higher redline and feel more composed. I am very, very concerned about this as my car doesn't have that many miles on it.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I have this sneaking feeling there's going to be some significant issues with these Civics down the road. Whether mechanical or otherwise. The above issue alone has me considering selling the car already frankly. And that's really disconcerting to me, considering I just got it.

I also don't recall it making these kind of clunky, cheap, scary noises when I got it new. (And it's only got a few thousand miles on it now.)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Car goes back to shop on friday, yay. Honda of america higher up was useless as shit. Guy I talked to was a moron, didnt seem to care or concerned. Made it seem as if I was a bother to him. Hopefully the shop can come up with something. Ill post up friday with any info.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,769 Posts
"The car feels like crap at any rpms below 3-3500k."

Thank you. I seriously thought I was crazy. I had a 2006 Si and outside of it being jerky when cold, it felt well built and composed. Lately, I've noticed my car is glugging and chugging and being VERY fussy at RPMS below 3,500. I do a lot of city driving, and it's really bad. I don't really know how to explain it but the transmission makes some less than pleasant clunking sounds, and there are some odd noises.

Someone told me it was because the Si has such a high revving engine. That excuse would be valid - if my 2006 Si didn't have a higher redline and feel more composed. I am very, very concerned about this as my car doesn't have that many miles on it.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I have this sneaking feeling there's going to be some significant issues with these Civics down the road. Whether mechanical or otherwise. The above issue alone has me considering selling the car already frankly. And that's really disconcerting to me, considering I just got it.

I also don't recall it making these kind of clunky, cheap, scary noises when I got it new. (And it's only got a few thousand miles on it now.)
Dang guys. Mine only feels like crap below 1000 rpm because its luggin otherwise it smooth as glass. No clunks or other noises, loose driver seat, scratchy interior, floppy shifter, oil consumption, etc. Too bad you've got bad ones.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
I agree FooBird. With over 23,000 miles I don't have any of the normal complaints listed by others. I still can't believe people are routinely shifting Si's at such low rpm's. 2200-2800 rpm's is perfect for flat speed cruising but way below the ideal shift point for this engine. Maybe if I did that all the time mine would run like crap too. My engine rev's happy, it shifts smooth, driver's seat is form fitting to my ass and my car burns less oil today than it ever has. I love my car and am truly sorry to hear about others that are having issues of driveability.

No offense intended to anyone but if your car is beyond initial break in then drive it like it was intended to be driven and at least try to get some enjoyment out of your ride. Just maybe it will work out better for both you and your car.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Car goes back to shop on friday, yay. Honda of america higher up was useless as shit. Guy I talked to was a moron, didnt seem to care or concerned. Made it seem as if I was a bother to him. Hopefully the shop can come up with something. Ill post up friday with any info.
I sure hope they find something and can get it running perfect Binx you have been through more hassle than you should ever have to go through with a new Honda. It can't be a misfire or your CEL would be blinking like a christmas tree. Does it cough or just feel like it cuts out on you. Is it repeatable enough that you could get a short video of it doing it?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I think the majority of the problems I encounter are because I live in downtown Minneapolis and I work down there as well. I'm in stop and go traffic in the heart of a skyline. It can be very difficult to get the car up to the 3-4K RPM area when you're only moving a dozen feet or so at a time.

Even when I get it up there, and I coast it down to a slower speed, when I put the clutch in as the RPMs are going lower, it chugs and makes a sound that you can actually even feel as you're coming to a stop and going into neutral.

I don't know what it is or why it does it, but I definitely notice it in the city. And it's majorly disappointing - feels poorly assembled and constructed. Never had another car do this. Believe me, I shift at 3-4K (or higher) whenever I can!

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
I think the majority of the problems I encounter are because I live in downtown Minneapolis and I work down there as well. I'm in stop and go traffic in the heart of a skyline. It can be very difficult to get the car up to the 3-4K RPM area when you're only moving a dozen feet or so at a time.

Even when I get it up there, and I coast it down to a slower speed, when I put the clutch in as the RPMs are going lower, it chugs and makes a sound that you can actually even feel as you're coming to a stop and going into neutral.

I don't know what it is or why it does it, but I definitely notice it in the city. And it's majorly disappointing - feels poorly assembled and constructed. Never had another car do this. Believe me, I shift at 3-4K (or higher) whenever I can!
I would not suggest an Si for city driving based on your posts. It is like trying to use a throroughbred race horse as a trotter. Not a good mix.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,769 Posts
I avoid the city traffic. I've been stuck in Seattle city street traffic at the peak of rush hour on a nasty hill and other times. I'll drive my auto truck most times if I have to go into the city. Yeah, it gets crappy mileage and totally not setup for that but it's better in stop and go traffic and sometimes acts like a sacrificial lamb.

Even stuck in traffic going a few feet at a time for a while, the Si doesn't give me problems like you're saying mno86. But I agree with 9GenSi, it's my thoroughbred. Better DD than previous gen Si but can be tempermental.

The Hybrid shuts the engine off all the time in traffic. Talk about creepy. You stop and the engine shuts off, let off the brake and it turns back on.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It feels like bad plugs or clogged injector, out of fuel and all of the above. If they cant figure it out Im thinking about trading it in, a 2 month old car thats in the shop at least once a week.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
It could be something as simple as a cracked insulator on a spark plug. I had a hard time diagnosing that one time in my old Si and when I finally found it the thing ran like new.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'm with Binx, sadly. I fell in love with the Si with my 2006 (and loved it through its weekly problems). While I've only had minor things with the '12's so far, some of the things I'm noticing are concerning, given my history of problems. And at a few thousand miles, that is even more concerning.

I'll probably hang onto it for awhile longer because I love the compliments and I love the drive when I'm not stuck in downtown traffic (which is mostly just going to and from work). I know it's not the smartest "city car" (as my 18 miles per gallon painfully reminds me every time I fill up), but after owning a 2010 EX-L sedan, I don't know if I could handle the lack of handling or lack of power ever again - unless I owned a Hybrid. I actually felt the last gen Hybrid was a stronger vehicle overall than the standard R18-powered Civics were.

Problem is, I'm not sure what else I would get. I'm a creature of habit haha. I'll see how it is until 10,000 miles or so. If I have more than a few warranty things, I'll sell it once something more appealing comes along. For now, I'm content - even if flustered occasionally!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Keep complaining. Sorry to hear about all your troubles. There is no reason your car shouldn't run perfect.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.