1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
bad news SRI user's ... including me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
How about the aFe Takeda Retain Intake (which is a SRI, but uses the stock airbox?)
The takeda retain sri has an inlet in the back of the box that sucks in air from the back end of the engine. the op states that the air back there is too hot for the engine to use optimally.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The takeda retain sri has an inlet in the back of the box that sucks in air from the back end of the engine. the op states that the air back there is too hot for the engine to use optimally.
Aah ok thanks for clarifying that for me. Are there any SRI's for the r18 that don't point at hot air?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'll begrudgingly admit it... I've been that guy more than once. "Hey Vit, what xxxx should I get?" Haha, sorry!

Reactions: RujoKinJal

·
Registered
504 Posts
Aah ok thanks for clarifying that for me. Are there any SRI's for the r18 that don't point at hot air?
I assume the only thing you can do is make a tube from the front of the car that feeds into an isolated box for the SRI. In theory that's about your best bet, but at idle it's gonna be shit unless you hook up a fan to force air in, but that might break when air starts moving fast at it. If you try and use the stock resonator tube you might fair okay but not great, same idea as forcing the air in the front with a tube.

Next problem would be how much dirt is gonna accumulate on the filters.

·
Registered
68 Posts
tha only thing the sri is good for is an intake induction sounds. which admittedly is a pretty nice sound especially when shifting IMO (at least from the takeda retain)
I had the takeda for about a 1000 miles before i removed it.
but i mean the r18 intake system is pretty neat its got a ram inlet next to the battery and a longer intake that runs to the fender, and our cars switch from one to the other depending on RPMS

add on: the r18 ecu tells it when to switch from the ram air to the longer intake run, and this can be disabled/tweaked /w flashpro (from what ive read)
if i ever put my takeda back on i think id want flash pro to either disable switching of the stock intake tubes and either lock it to one or the other. then again i have no idea what im talking about and am probably just talking out of my azz

·
Registered
458 Posts
what if I'm running SRI and my hood have two vents ( fairly big vents to let air in ).
still no deference ??

·
Registered
68 Posts
what if I'm running SRI and my hood have two vents ( fairly big vents to let air in ).
still no deference ??
the only person that would know that is the person running that kind of set up.
idk, ive ran the takeda retain at least on the r18 and found it ran fine in traffic and on open road. never had a problem with it within that time frame. of course the r18 and k24 are different engines entirely

·
Registered
128 Posts
still no deference ??
Just curious what are you going to do when it rains?

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I agree totally w/ regard to performance, but in terms of safety for a daily driven car, they are superior to a CAI. A CAI is the reason for throwing a rod through the side of the block on my Mustang GT. It sucked water from below in what would easily be passable water in a car not equipped with a CAI. With CAI? Hydrolock and bye-bye engine. Total loss.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree totally w/ regard to performance, but in terms of safety for a daily driven car, they are superior to a CAI. A CAI is the reason for throwing a rod through the side of the block on my Mustang GT. It sucked water from below in what would easily be passable water in a car not equipped with a CAI. With CAI? Hydrolock and bye-bye engine. Total loss.
Common sense dictates that...you should never attempt to drive though water with your car *be it CAI or SRI*

1 - 20 of 55 Posts